Change to mirrorless... or not?

Due to heart failure I moved to Olympus , now on a omd1-mkiii and a 100-400 lens which also takes 1.4 and 2x t.c’s .the all up weight is 2kg ,and b.I.f are no problem . Plus Olympus gear is far far cheaper than other brands . What’s not to like
… absolutely nothing to dislike as far as I am concerned.

A long time em5.1 snd em1.1 user I did think of switching to a em1.2 and the pl100-400 a few years ago but went down the d500 route only because I had a mechanical problem with the copy of the PL that I had and it went back. Didn’t fancy risking another 1k. v( also i had a d7100 and a 150-600 already.

Now the oly 100-400 is out I might be tempted again but for the fact that I now use the even lighter Nikon 1 V’s and the cx 70-300 or a 300pf.

OK we all know about the challenges of small sensor photography but one has to weigh it against ones own pattern of use age. The V2 +cx is with me almost all the time - it is tiny - so I get more shots than with my d500 and tam g2 - and a surprising number of them are on par ( in good light and/or with ai nr ) with a dslr.

The D500/G2 + tripod and gimbal weighs in at about 6- 7 kgs I guess and I am just, as a casual photographer and infrequent birder, not using it too much. When the RSPB and other sites feel safe enough for me again I am sure it will get back into service but interim it’s small, light and portable that works for me right now.

… absolutely nothing to dislike as far as I am concerned.

A long time em5.1 snd em1.1 user I did think of switching to a em1.2 and the pl100-400 a few years ago but went down the d500 route only because I had a mechanical problem with the copy of the PL that I had and it went back. Didn’t fancy risking another 1k. v( also i had a d7100 and a 150-600 already.

Now the oly 100-400 is out I might be tempted again but for the fact that I now use the even lighter Nikon 1 V’s and the cx 70-300 or a 300pf.

OK we all know about the challenges of small sensor photography but one has to weigh it against ones own pattern of use age. The V2 +cx is with me almost all the time - it is tiny - so I get more shots than with my d500 and tam g2 - and a surprising number of them are on par ( in good light and/or with ai nr ) with a dslr.

The D500/G2 + tripod and gimbal weighs in at about 6- 7 kgs I guess and I am just, as a casual photographer and infrequent birder, not using it too much. When the RSPB and other sites feel safe enough for me again I am sure it will get back into service but interim it’s small, light and portable that works for me right now.
The most important factors are what is missing from the above comment , Olympus I.b.i.s and lens I.s is way above any system I have used previously , and my tripod and gimbal remain unused in two years of Olympus usage ,in full frame terms with my 100-400 and 1.4 tc on I get a coverage equal to 1150mm and that’s hand holdable and useable for b.I.f .

Took a break from this thread for a while as felt that a few members had taken it over with debates about different manufacturers and tech talk that it wasnt initially intended to be. Getting back to the way of thinking about taking the plunge and going for a Canon R6. Can some of you suggest the best place to buy? Or is a grey import a viable option, and of so where would be best for this?

I've used Wex and Bristol Cameras and had good service.

Grey wise I've used Camera In The Post and E Infinity when the kit wasn't easily available in the UK, both without a problem.

Took a break from this thread for a while as felt that a few members had taken it over with debates about different manufacturers and tech talk that it wasnt initially intended to be. Getting back to the way of thinking about taking the plunge and going for a Canon R6. Can some of you suggest the best place to buy? Or is a grey import a viable option, and of so where would be best for this?
I bought mine from HDEW and had very good service

You can use Camera Price Buster to find the best price, but personally, I would buy from my local camera shop, especially if you have been in to try out the camera.

Thanks folks. So ive had a look and grey import from E Infinity along with adaptor for my existing lenses is just shy of £2k (approx 500 less than Jessops). Any good reasons not to go with this?

I can’t comment on the price or reliability of the supplier, if those check out snf it’s going to do what you need and you have the budget why not?

Anyone???

I've used E Infinity with no problem. There's the moral aspect of going grey but that's up to each of us to deal with. I've used grey sellers before when the kit wasn't readily available in the UK.

I've used E Infinity with no problem. There's the moral aspect of going grey but that's up to each of us to deal with. I've used grey sellers before when the kit wasn't readily available in the UK.
Thanks, but im unsure what you mean about the moral aspect? Also, is the gear good enough, ie similar quality to what youd buy on the high street?

Thanks, but im unsure what you mean about the moral aspect? Also, is the gear good enough, ie similar quality to what youd buy on the high street?

Buying from these people usually involves avoiding import duty but of course you could look into this and pay it yourself.

The gear is AFAIK the same. It's all made by the same manufacturer in the same factory.

Buying from these people usually involves avoiding import duty but of course you could look into this and pay it yourself.

The gear is AFAIK the same. It's all made by the same manufacturer in the same factory.

The hardware isn’t always exactly the same although it is less likely to be a difference these days occasionally there will be small differences like different spec network capability on some cameras.

The language choice options in the firmware can also be different.

I read somewhere recently that on the Sony A1 for example the grey model flash’s up a pal warning message when using video that doesn’t appear on U.K stock.

When there is a difference it is usually small and not worth worrying about.

For the O.P e-infinity service level if something goes wrong is generally shockingly bad. Better to use someone like Panamoz or HDEW if you are buying grey. You will have no manufacturer warranty with any of them and of the company you buy from goes bust you will have no warranty at all.

HDEW warranty is provided by a third party so you may okay with them.

Last edited:
For these grey imports, is the purchase covered by The Sale Of Goods Act. I think not. I understand that the Supreme Court has just ruled that the distribution of grey market goods without the consent of the brand owner is a criminal offence. I buy all my photography kit from WEX so have no worries about claiming if there is a problem.

Dave

For these grey imports, is the purchase covered by The Sale Of Goods Act. I think not. I understand that the Supreme Court has just ruled that the distribution of grey market goods without the consent of the brand owner is a criminal offence. I buy all my photography kit from WEX so have no worries about claiming if there is a problem.

Dave

In the case of camera gear and UK v grey suppliers I can see the problem as it's so expensive to do business in the UK but the fact that some manufacturers charge what they think the market will bear sometimes appears to lead to unfair prices. How the law could square all that I don't know as in some instances retailers find it hard to compete whilst in other instances it's a pretty hard not to take the view that the consumer is getting a bad deal.

In the case of camera gear and UK v grey suppliers I can see the problem as it's so expensive to do business in the UK but the fact that some manufacturers charge what they think the market will bear sometimes appears to lead to unfair prices. How the law could square all that I don't know as in some instances retailers find it hard to compete whilst in other instances it's a pretty hard not to take the view that the consumer is getting a bad deal.
Are you suggesting that the consumer is getting a bad deal if they have to pay the import duty due? I am not sure where the Supreme Court ruling will lead but it could mean that the well known brands can no longer be sold as grey imports, if the manufacturers do contest which they might.

Dave

Are you suggesting that the consumer is getting a bad deal if they have to pay the import duty due? I am not sure where the Supreme Court ruling will lead but it could mean that the well known brands can no longer be sold as grey imports, if the manufacturers do contest which they might.

Dave

No, not at all. That's not what I wrote or what I was suggesting.

As you may well know, some manufacturers/suppliers charge different amounts country to country depending on what they think they can get away with. That's the practice I was referring to and in cases like that when it's nothing to do with the cost of doing business in the UK I do think it's difficult to think anything else but that the customer in the UK is being bent over.

I have used grey suppliers a few times when the kit wasn't readily available in the UK. OK, I could wait... but I chose not to. Others may choose to buy in the UK or use grey every time and I don't see it as my place to morally judge them and of course the practice may at some point become more difficult or even pretty much impossible.

I do think that import duty starts to look very unfair when looking at some hard to get to impossible to get in the UK old film era lenses that are for example pretty plentiful in the USA or Japan but how this mess can be fairly sorted out I don't know. I've just done a quick check on two lenses I imported and paid the duty on and there isn't a single one of either on evil bay and I'm pretty sure they'll be like hens teeth everywhere else in the UK.

OK folks lets not turn this into yet another grey / uk / moral issue, its been done to death several times....

Another question for you. Is it possible to include an extender with the adaptor and my existing lenses with no loss of iq, and still have autofocus?

Another question for you. Is it possible to include an extender with the adaptor and my existing lenses with no loss of iq, and still have autofocus?
Looks like an EF extender can work with an EF lens and an EF to RF adapter:
I suppose any loss of IQ would be similar to what you'd get when adding the extender to the same lens on a dSLR, though perhaps a modern high resolution sensor would make it more obvious.

Anyone used 'Photo gears' on line. Theyre offering the R6 at a good price...

Also, is there any seller that offers a trial period for return if you change your mind?

Back