Changing lenses

Name
CrazeUK
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, now I know there are some very useful and simple lens changing techniques:
Face the camera down,
Turn your back to the wind
Keep lens caps on as long as possible.
Turn the camera off

But i was thinking my hands tremble every time i change a lens, and i am no expert as yet.

So i got onto looking for a lens changing bag of some form. I googled some, but there isn't many.

Then i stumbled across this:
DIY Changing bag thread

Is it a good idea? are there any risks from electro static shocks to the camera?

Last edited:
Ace that maybe, I've changed lenses in derelict industrial locations in the past and wanted to be super fast, hands like a magician doing card tricks to try and avoid some dust, some times you don't even realize how much is flying about

Whilst I can see the benefit in a dusty derelict factory or on a windy beach, in most situations most people manage without one and without filling their camera with loads of crap.

I like to have a lens pouch handy strapped to my bag or belt that I can drop a lens into it - so that with my camera around my neck, I can have two hands free for the task without having to think where I'm going to put a lens down. I can be physically 'awkward' at times though - I'm the sort of person who takes ages at the checkout!

You could afapt a couple of anti static bags. Maplin sell these for ad little as 69p.

What will happen if the statics go into the camera? Someone please explain this to me....:)
I normally just change it as fast as I can...

Nothing will happen. I change lens without much thought really.

Tbh, the more you worry about it, the more likely you are going to get crap in the body.
Without any doubt it is something to be aware of with digital bodies ( film slrs are so much easier to deal with and clean if needs be!) but unless you are going to be changing lenses in a cement works or similar then I don't really see that you need to go to placing your camera inside a bag.

Obviously don't change when dusty, like at the side of a rally stage for example, but I just keep the camera body face down and do it as quicly as possible, not had any problems so far.

Obviously don't change when dusty, like at the side of a rally stage for example, but I just keep the camera body face down and do it as quicly as possible, not had any problems so far.

As Ken said, important bit is keeping the camera face down, you are going to get wee bits of stuff flying about almost everywhere but keeping the open area facing the ground will minimise the chance of getting any kack inside.

I must admit, I used to be far more anal about changing lenses than I am now. I used to do all the same stuff as on here about pointing the camera down, wind etc but I'm a bit more casual about it these days. If a little dust gets in I'll clean it out, it rarely finds it's way to the sensor anyway seeing as the mirror is in the way. Maybe it's not the right attitude but I've had no issues.

I must admit, I used to be far more anal about changing lenses than I am now. I used to do all the same stuff as on here about pointing the camera down, wind etc but I'm a bit more casual about it these days. If a little dust gets in I'll clean it out, it rarely finds it's way to the sensor anyway seeing as the mirror is in the way. Maybe it's not the right attitude but I've had no issues.

That's what I'm like. I figure that the sensor is covered anyway so where's the harm - I have a blower and some sensor swabs should anything need removing.

I have to admit I found that bag in the link quite laughable :)

You don't need a bag to change your lens in, just get used to doing it in clean conditions and it will become second nature. Like Ned above says, the sensor is covered by the mirror anyway so the chances of any dust falling on your sensor in the 10 seconds it takes to change it are pretty much nil. Here's a trick:

1. loosen the cover on the mount of the lens you want to put on and stand it on it's loose mount, either on a flat surface or in your camera bag

2. either with the camera around your neck or lying on it's back (yes on its back) loosen the lens on the camera.

3. They are now both loose and sitting in their mount/end cap. Just swap them around.

4. Tighten them up. job done.

If it's raining/snowing or youre in a dust storm then maybe you could use a plastic bin liner for the whole operation (like one of those see-through bin liners they use in train stations). Or a plastic bin bag.

Tim

Face the camera down,
Turn your back to the wind
Keep lens caps on as long as possible.
Turn the camera off

Just adding another point. Canon bodies and lenses have red dots to help with alignment during lens changing.
The red dot on lens mount on the body is in the 12 o’ clock position, (top of camera)
I find looking at where the red is on the lens and knowing were the dot is on the body saves a little time.

I’m guessing Nikon have a similar thing.

Just adding another point. Canon bodies and lenses have red dots to help with alignment during lens changing.
The red dot on lens mount on the body is in the 12 o’ clock position, (top of camera)
I find looking at where the red is on the lens and knowing were the dot is on the body saves a little time.

I’m guessing Nikon have a similar thing.
Yeah but Nikon lenses twist the wrong way ;)

All the advice given is sound.
To add though I watched an events tog at work pop his 1D III back into its case with no body cap! His images were great too. The joys of wide aperture shooting;)
I've found shooting macros stopped down at lifesize or greater dust is just a hazard that cannot be avoided however you change lenses. :(

Relax.

Don't get paranoid about changing lenses. The whole point of a SLR/DSLR is that you can do just that. I'll accept that dust is more a problem with DSLR's but you can always clean it off. Smooth is better than fast too, so concentrate on that.

Otherwise your techniques in the OP are fine, personally I rarely bother turning the camera off though.

However, unless you're working in a wind blown desert the lens changing bag is a joke... and even then you'd look a total ?*"! :)

enjoy your photography, don't worry about it.

cheers

It's a good idea but I agree with Bill above that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. If you are reasonably swift at changing your lenses and observe a few good practices (don't do it in the open during a sand storm), try and keep everything facing the floor then you'll be grand. I don't know how you'd use that bag whilst standing up and not using a table?

I've changed lens' in all sorts of places, just be quick about it, hold the camera downwards etc, as mentioned above...

The way I see it, dust and other crap is going to find it's way in no matter how careful you are, it's just one of those things.

Adam.

I tend to turn off when changing. The theory is that the electrostatic charge on the sensor can attract dust (through the mirror??), and that IS can be somehow disrupted if it's on when you remove the lens. Not seen any evidence either way, but it's habit now, and doesn't take up more than an extra second.

My sigma manual sais to switch off the optical stabilisation before removing the lens. Any idea why?
I assume it locks it in position and therefore helps to avoid damage when being transported but wondered if there was a specific reason why t should be done before removing other than incase you drop it.

Back