Changing webhosts...

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
.... Candy from a baby or blood from a stone?!

I've finally reached the end of my tether with Webhosting UK ( that's WEBHOSTING UK) - too much down time, awful service, so I've decided to change hosts. I'm 6 months into the year I've paid for. Just how painful/tedious am I going to find this process?

If your current host and the host you move to both use cPanel then it should be a pretty painless process.

If you are in the market for a new host then I would recommend Hostgator, have been with them for years myself without any problems.

Also Hostgator will transfer your website over to them free of charge if your old host uses cPanel as mentioned above

Last edited:
Should be very easy unless with a very dodgy company.

Download the whole site,
buy new hosting,
point existing domain names to new host,
upload whole site.

Once dns catches up your new site should be surfing from your new host.

Same problem was with UK2 when I switched to this guy.

UK2 are a pain in the bottom. We've had a couple of clients purchase domain through them, and if you need to make any changes at all (which you usually do), you have to pay extra for the privilege.

At work we have a server with RapidHost. They're not without problems, but I can't fault the support team there. Always very helpful. I'm not sure what smaller packages they do though.

In terms of downtime, if you're on a shared server, it can be hit and miss. You could be sharing that server with a few static sites that people have built for their personal use, or large forums, ecommerce, etc... If it's the latter, you're more likely to experience problems, no matter who your hosting is with.

If you want reliability, you need to pay for it. Like with anything else. A dedicated server, cloud, etc.

123 Reg, whilst any kind of support is difficult to come buy, their control is panel is pretty good for managing domains.

Thanks everyone. I've got a new host in mind (NS Design, Glasgow). They use cpanel and current hosts use dotnetpanel. Looking at getting things moving soon as it's just excuse after excuse with current host. Every email they send me is full of badly written tech gibberish, clearly hoping to blind me with science...

Back