Characterestics of different 35/ 120 mm film

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I was trying to look up a resource to understand the characterestics of various easily available 35 mm and 120 mm films ( both colour and B/W)

Not the technical stuff; but how they behave practically in a given situation; and whats best for what use ( for example, I read somewhere that Provia produces more neutral colour, while velvia produces more vivid colour. No idea if thats true)

So is there any quick and dirty source to know about the commonly available films ( say the ones sold by 7 days shop). Or, can someone with experince and knowledge make a list. It would be very useful for folks like me

Ujjwal

Silverprint give a little write up of what to expect from the films they stock, its only a few lines but it would help you choose a film to try for a given subject/situation.

and RetroPhotographic

manufacturers pdf's available all over the interwebz will give reciprocity characteristics and other technicals

http://pbase.com/cameras

You can have a look at results from all sorts of different films here too.

Generally speaking though fuji slides go from velvia which is very colourful and saturated to provia which is more neutral, to astia which is really a portrait/wedding emulsion. Their pro print films are all fairly neutral, though the 160c is a little more saturated than 160s. I have no idea about orange box stuff, though the new ektar is being raved about by lots of folk.

7dayshop.com also give a little about each film's qualitys (plus it's prob the cheapest place to then buy them)

I find flickr is the best resource for this

Back