charity muggers...........

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
knock knock went the door..............

opened it up to find a very nice young lady (student) in a UNICEF blue placcy jacket.........."

"I'm not here to sell you anything OK?"
"good, but I am assuming, you are wanting, other than offering.......... "
"well yes"
"Hmm, and let me guess by the UNICEF jacket, the clipboard, and your expectant smile, you are wanting, say a DD at £5 a month?"
"Erm, well yes, I suppose so"
"I am guessing you are a student, working minimum wage at I guess 16 hours a week? so lets round it up to £100 a week or £400 a month"
"Ok"
"So therefore, you need 80 people like me a month sign up to pay for you, not forgetting you are working through agencies who take a cut, so hmm, 130 a month at £5 a pop before UNICEF gets a penny?"
"um, well, now you put it like that, I am not sure I want to be doing this job"
"up to you hon, you're a student trying to earn money, but scale up,. how much of the £ needs taking before money gets paid!"

Since learned the CEO of UNICEF "earns" $460,000 so about £300K

Lynton...you must teach me. That's really quite funny.

i just tell it like it is.. I am sure the CEO of unicef has a very stressful job, on 300K a year, and fortunately Barca pays for that (and more).... but tell me how much of my £5 goes to vaccinating dying kids in Africa and I might be tempted... or will she turn up next week in a Rec Cross jacket.. or Samaritans.........

At least they're trying to cut down on them in Manchester

Street fundraisers will be banned from the city centre for four days a week under a new ‘chugger’s charter’.

The code of conduct – brought in after complaints about aggressive charity fundraising – will also see collectors limited to four designated zones.

Only five collectors will be allowed in each zone at one time.

Charity workers will only be allowed to operate on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9am and 6pm.

knock knock went the door..............

opened it up to find a very nice young lady (student) in a UNICEF blue placcy jacket.........."

"I'm not here to sell you anything OK?"
"good, but I am assuming, you are wanting, other than offering.......... "
"well yes"
"Hmm, and let me guess by the UNICEF jacket, the clipboard, and your expectant smile, you are wanting, say a DD at £5 a month?"
"Erm, well yes, I suppose so"
"I am guessing you are a student, working minimum wage at I guess 16 hours a week? so lets round it up to £100 a week or £400 a month"
"Ok"
"So therefore, you need 80 people like me a month sign up to pay for you, not forgetting you are working through agencies who take a cut, so hmm, 130 a month at £5 a pop before UNICEF gets a penny?"
"um, well, now you put it like that, I am not sure I want to be doing this job"
"up to you hon, you're a student trying to earn money, but scale up,. how much of the £ needs taking before money gets paid!"

Since learned the CEO of UNICEF "earns" $460,000 so about £300K

You forgot to add the commission she gets paid for signing you up.

Hope Bury will follow suit, buggers are everywhere....

Last edited:
Didn't think they were allowed to come knocking at your door, and the ones in the street can only legally stop and ask you under the excuse of it being a survey. Street collectors can only shake their tin, not stop you and ask for money.

Any way, any "Charity" that donates less than 50% of its turn over isn't a charity in my mind but a self sustaining business. And that ain't the same thing at all!

Didn't think they were allowed to come knocking at your door, and the ones in the street can only legally stop and ask you under the excuse of it being a survey. Street collectors can only shake their tin, not stop you and ask for money.

Any way, any "Charity" that donates less than 50% of its turn over isn't a charity in my mind but a self sustaining business. And that ain't the same thing at all!

I'd say less than 85% !

Stumpy

Are you sure they are allowed to shake the tin, I was under the impression that was illegal as it's classed as beging.

I'm not against asking for help for anything, but I'm personaly getting fed up of the whole thing.

I'm in and out of many town centres in my job in retail IT. I've been asked by the same person 5 times in an hour to buy the big issue. How much of that money goes in that pesons pocket and what does it get spent on.

The worst one now is women with babies and little children out in all weather asking for money for the baby WTF is that about, it's not like they can't get benefits anyway.

Sorry I'm getting way too old for all this £2 here £3 there and give give give.

Must be an old age thing.

hate to be the evil nasty man in this one but doesn't england have enough problems of its own right now to be forking out money to other countires like africa and Japan? As sad as it is that Japan suffered a terrible tsunami, but what do we need to be paying money for? Japan isn't a 3rd world country, its 20 years into the future with technology and gadgets we don't even have yet, They have multi billion dollar industries and are thriving. They can afford to sort their own problems out.

Everytime i sit down to dinner, the tv goes to adverts and it seems to be strategicly planned at teatime to show the advert of starving kids in africa, but aren't they always? i mean the whole comic relief thing has been going since longer than i can remember, Every year without fail for at least 25 years. 70 million per year, raised for corn, mosquito nets, clean water, food, seeds, compost etc... yet the following year we reset the clock and start all over again. We have to remember that 20 pence is like £5 in africa and we have injected a years worth of tobbacco and alcohol tax in revenue over there for the last 2 decades, they probably have more money than us, well in nigeria they do because im always getting emails from long lost uncles i have never met telling me that i have inherited millions. but as far as the comic relief charity goes, I have gotten to the stage now where i feel that red nose day, starving kids of africa, clean water in africa etc... is like that mate of yours on the dole, he keeps asking for £20 to get sorted, you, your mates and all his family keep handing over £20 and after about a year, he still isn't sorted and is still asking to borrow money, you then think to yourself, "How much more money am i going to give him, its not changing anything, I really need to cut my losses and let him deal with it himself." mark zuckerberg the founder of facebook, worth 24 billion, if he traded every penny to africa, they would still ask fo more, how a 3rd world country can absorb so much money to make little difference just astunds me.

I once lectured one of those red cross charity workers on that and i think he got the point that i wasn't going to help.

I would also like to add, if anyone thinks im being out of order or uncaring, i would like to point out i have been involved in a lot of red nose day fundraisers, sponsored walks, mountain climbing for charity and many other things in the past so i think i have earnt my right to complain, i still donate to the nspcc, and children in need because i feel they are a good charity that have positive outcomes

Last edited:
hate to be the evil nasty man in this one but doesn't england have enough problems of its own right now to be forking out money to other countires like africa and Japan? As sad as it is that Japan suffered a terrible tsunami, but what do we need to be paying money for? Japan isn't a 3rd world country, its 20 years into the future with technology and gadgets we don't even have yet, They have multi billion dollar industries and are thriving. They can afford to sort their own problems out.

Everytime i sit down to dinner, the tv goes to adverts and it seems to be strategicly planned at teatime to show the advert of starving kids in africa, but aren't they always? i mean the whole comic relief thing has been going since longer than i can remember, Every year without fail for at least 25 years. 70 million per year, raised for corn, mosquito nets, clean water, food, seeds, compost etc... yet the following year we reset the clock and start all over again. We have to remember that 20 pence is like £5 in africa and we have injected a years worth of tobbacco and alcohol tax in revenue over there for the last 2 decades, they probably have more money than us, well in nigeria they do because im always getting emails from long lost uncles i have never met telling me that i have inherited millions. but as far as the comic relief charity goes, I have gotten to the stage now where i feel that red nose day, starving kids of africa, clean water in africa etc... is like that mate of yours on the dole, he keeps asking for £20 to get sorted, you, your mates and all his family keep handing over £20 and after about a year, he still isn't sorted and is still asking to borrow money, you then think to yourself, "How much more money am i going to give him, its not changing anything, I really need to cut my losses and let him deal with it himself." mark zuckerberg the founder of facebook, worth 24 billion, if he traded every penny to africa, they would still ask fo more, how a 3rd world country can absorb so much money to make little difference just astunds me.

I once lectured one of those red cross charity workers on that and i think he got the point that i wasn't going to help.

Bad day at the office? Crack open a beer and get yourself some sleep ;)

ChrisH

I've never liked street collections as refusing in public is embarrassing, but in years gone by I've been involved with organising some street collections for worthy causes. Old age fades memory but as I remember it; your not allowed to "Ask for" or "Tin shake", to an individual - you can tin shake occasionally in a general manner so as to announce your presence, taking care not to look at any one individual. If I remember correctly it even got so silly as to the number of tin shakes allowed per hour! As ever, stricter local bye-laws take precedent as do any specific restrictions stipulated in the street collection licence issued by the local authority.

Big issue - if they asked you, they broke the law. After I thought our local seller had sneezed and I said "Bless you, hope your cold gets better soon", she has never bothered me again! And it was a genuine mistake! "Issue, issue".
They buy the mags at a set price and "Sell" them at a suggested or get a donation. Sorry don't know what the margins are or what they spend it on, but I can guess.

Wo/men (Lets not be sexist eh) with young children, actually might NOT be getting Benefits if their foreigners, (Or British the way the cut backs are bitting). Don't get me wrong I think they should ****** off back and let their own country support them, we are FULL, but if their seeking asylum and under appeal they could be stuck for years with NO benefits and NOT allowed to work. Just how their supposed to live beats me but I guess thats why the clever Politico's get the big money!

Hope some of this helps.
Your not getting too old mate, just more cynical with experience like me. Horrible world ain't it? :help:

Don't think "archamedes", is being a bad man at all. He just has the guts to stand up and say what an awful lot of people in this country are thinking. Trouble is most folk DON'T have the guts to speak out even if they DO think.

Its easier to join the sheep than risk being labelled.

You think little girls are sweet- you must be a p***.
You have a different religion - you must be a Terrorist.
You don't like foreigners - you must be a Racist.

Best of all though -

You have a less expensive camera than me - You must be a worse photographer! :dummy:

archamedes said:

I would also like to add, if anyone thinks im being out of order or uncaring, i would like to point out i have been involved in a lot of red nose day fundraisers, sponsored walks, mountain climbing for charity and many other things in the past so i think i have earnt my right to complain, i still donate to the nspcc, and children in need because i feel they are a good charity that have positive outcomes

I'm with you all the way on this one. My wife thinks I'm just a tight bugger. But your right, we need to sort out our own country before giving billions to others.

Just to really rub it in with the missus I signed up to giving £6.50 a month to the RSPCA. She questioned me and I answered with "animals don't have a choice and can't stop being mistreated by others or help themselves". Also I said I've got a dog and a cat, I havnt however got a starving African in my house! Some people probably think I'm mad or stupid but I can still sleep at night :D

I dont give em a penny, theyre a bleeding nuisance outside my local Tesco store collecting for sick children, i keep telling them ill bring one next time im in the store.

Chuggers are everywhere because they're profitable. It's big business. They prey on the vulnerable (people who can't say no).

Only a small fraction of what they collect goes to any cause - vast majority of it pays director salaries and running costs. There was a recent case in Northern Ireland with a charity that had set up to fund an Air Ambulance. Under an FOI request, it was revealed that they had collected over £750,000 in donations, but not a penny had actually went towards a helicopter. They'd already spent over £700,000 of it on wages and costs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8101574.stm

The legislation around charities should be tightened IMO - they're all a scam.

Perhaps we should stand outside supermarkets with a 'Save TP' campaign, then all the money we collect we could buy some new camera gear. :LOL:

Don't think "archamedes", is being a bad man at all. He just has the guts to stand up and say what an awful lot of people in this country are thinking. Trouble is most folk DON'T have the guts to speak out even if they DO think.

Its easier to join the sheep than risk being labelled.

You think little girls are sweet- you must be a p***.
You have a different religion - you must be a Terrorist.
You don't like foreigners - you must be a Racist.

Best of all though -

You have a less expensive camera than me - You must be a worse photographer! :dummy:

Get in there:clap:

I'll join in with the general consensus of opinion, it's time for it to stop, it's easy to stop kids starving in Africa, stop breeding!
I'll chuck a couple of quid in a tin if I think it's right, more often than not animals are involved(guide dogs, SSPCA) or McMillan nurses and the like.
When did the Sally army stop selling the war cry in the pubs? it was funny watching the same folk all heading for the loo at that moment they entered the pub.

Chap sat in a wheelchair outside Morrisons the other night with a little table, so I popped a couple of quid in, for MS charity.

Likewise, a young curly haired goon knocked on my door tonight with a green NSPCC t-shirt on. I got the "Sorry to bother you"
Just replied with "I don't give to charity at the door"
{Smiles}"We don't take any money now"
"I dont donate at the door at all"
"Why not?"
"Because I give to charity in my own time and on my own terms. I don't give to charity muggers or anyone who knocks on my door"

He said thanks and left.
Another top-heavy charity :(

My mum is a member of the local lions international group (no not anything to do with rugby!) and i can say for certain that the currents reg's make fundraising in a small charity very difficult but seem to make it very easy for the big guns such as unicef, oxfam etc.
Every penny that is raised during various fundraising events by my mum and the other volunteers goes into the charity account and gets spent/donated to the various charities they help, primarily local causes and individuals but also worldwide things too, as the lions groups are spread worldwide. All admin fees etc are collected as annual "subs" and at a yearly charter meal where the members of the group and nearby groups give by way of raffles, fun forfeits etc. So no money donated by the general public is absorbed by the group itself.
So these bigger charities with paid workers really get on my nerves when they knock the door or grab you as you walk past them in the street. My repsonse now is to tell them i dont have a credit or debit card and as they cannot take cash donations now then i cant help them. I'd rather give to the lions group because i see exactly where that money goes.

I'd suggest that if someone 'doesn't like foreigners' then it's a pretty good bet that they're a racist.

Why? .... So, do we have to 'like' people now? surely racism implies discrimination. :thinking:

Why? .... So, do we have to 'like' people now? surely racism implies discrimination. :thinking:

That is what i was thinking. You may not like someone because, they were rude to you, or did something to personally upset you for whatever reason that may be. If a foreigner does exactly the same thing, then suddenly you are racist for hating them. I can't see how there is a difference, its just easier to stir up emotions and problems by saying its a race issue.

If a guy firebombs a mosque its a racist attack, however if a plane filled with crazy fanatics flies into a building its a hate crime, again what is the difference?

Chap sat in a wheelchair outside Morrisons the other night with a little table, so I popped a couple of quid in, for MS charity.

Likewise, a young curly haired goon knocked on my door tonight with a green NSPCC t-shirt on. I got the "Sorry to bother you"
Just replied with "I don't give to charity at the door"
{Smiles}"We don't take any money now"
"I dont donate at the door at all"
"Why not?"
"Because I give to charity in my own time and on my own terms. I don't give to charity muggers or anyone who knocks on my door"

He said thanks and left.
Another top-heavy charity :(

I had one of them the other day. I asked them how much of my potential donation would be going to fund the boss's executive car, to which he replied "fair enough, have a nice day"

I'd suggest that if someone 'doesn't like foreigners' then it's a pretty good bet that they're a racist.

Could be right, but the WAY in which the term is used assumes its because of colour, and often its not.
I don't care what colour they are, Black, Brown, yellow, Blue. I object to them coming here and trying to turn this country into the same as the one they just left. To say WE have to change to accommodate THEM instead of them adjusting to the ways of their new host country!

All I know is when second and third generation (Immigrants?) still cant speak English and expect us to translate stuff into their old language, (And we do, at our expense), then somethings gone VERY WRONG!

(And a Black African, with a sense of humour, speaking broad "DOW YOW", is a wicked friend to have). :eek::LOL::thinking:

Slightly off but still related to charity giving. Now when you do a sponsored event you can use online collectors like just giving and virgin money. Was looking at these the other day and a friend said not to use Justgiving as they don't give all your sponsorship money to the charity :eek: a percentage of it goes to their admin costs. So I swerved that one and found that Virgin Money gives all you raise to the charity

Could be right, but the WAY in which the term is used assumes its because of colour, and often its not.
I don't care what colour they are, Black, Brown, yellow, Blue. I object to them coming here and trying to turn this country into the same as the one they just left. To say WE have to change to accommodate THEM instead of them adjusting to the ways of their new host country!

All I know is when second and third generation (Immigrants?) still cant speak English and expect us to translate stuff into their old language, (And we do, at our expense), then somethings gone VERY WRONG!

(And a Black African, with a sense of humour, speaking broad "DOW YOW", is a wicked friend to have). :eek::LOL::thinking:

:agree:

achemedes I completely agree with you on this one!!!

I got stopped in London the other week by someone working for the Red Cross:

"Hi mate, how's your day going?" Straight away it got my back up, I am not his "mate" I don't know him and I know what this is all about.

I started off politely and said I was having a good day and explained I do already donate to various charities but unfortunately his one wasn't one of them.

He was persistent but I just said "Sorry, it's not going to happen fella but have a good day anyway" and walked off.

I'm a firm believe that charity starts at home and I actually mean in MY home and then those in the UK that genuinely need help.

If at any point I can't afford to pay my mortgage and my bills and/or I can't afford to eat, what charities are going to REALLY help me?

I dont give em a penny, theyre a bleeding nuisance outside my local Tesco store collecting for sick children, i keep telling them ill bring one next time im in the store.

Can I have my grumpy knickers back when you've finished with 'em (and washed em)?

If I may, I would like to 'zoom' (I'm in the right place?) out a bit.

To give to charity is a contribution towards the suffering. You are helping to patch up a system of society that blatantly does not work.

If capitalism really is the best system possible, then you must accept war, famine, poverty etc. as capitalism is the root cause of all these things.

We can be angry at the greed of bankers and big business, but they will only laugh in our face again, as they award themselves obscene bonuses and tell ordinary people to face the cuts.

If you want to change the world, change the way society is organised. There are other options despite the massive propaganda saying otherwise.

Nope - racism implies prejudice, which is different from discrimination. To dislike someone simply because they are a foreigner is of course racist.

Nope - racism implies prejudice, which is different from discrimination. To dislike someone simply because they are a foreigner is of course racist.

Nope! ..... Who said anything about 'disliking' foreigners? :shrug:

here you go. Which you replied as above, that racism needs discrimination. I was simple pointing out it doesn't but just prejudice, which is a different thing

No it doesn't. Either can be deemed as racist. You missed my point though, I replied to the point that if I have to like someone or be a racist. If I didn't know someone why would I like them?

No it doesn't. Either can be deemed as racist. You missed my point though, I replied to the point that if I have to like someone or be a racist. If I didn't know someone why would I like them?

ok then - that wasn't really the point of the first sentance in the conversation though - I was just pointing out that disliking someone simply because they are a forgiener is racist, no discrimination is needed.

Last edited:
That is what i was thinking. You may not like someone because, they were rude to you, or did something to personally upset you for whatever reason that may be. If a foreigner does exactly the same thing, then suddenly you are racist for hating them. I can't see how there is a difference, its just easier to stir up emotions and problems by saying its a race issue.

If a guy firebombs a mosque its a racist attack, however if a plane filled with crazy fanatics flies into a building its a hate crime, again what is the difference?

But the point was made that if you don't like foreigners you are deemed a racist - and that's exactly what someone is if they don't like foreigners just because they're foreign. If you don't like someone for a reason, and they happen to be foreign, of course that isn't racism. Does that really need explaining ?

I do agree with some of this. But I don't think there are many, if any, 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants (ie people who were born here) who don't speak English.

To quote from Full Metal Jacket
00:02:42 There is no racial bigotry here!
00:02:45 I do not look down on *, *, * or *.
00:02:49 Here, you are all equally worthless!

Last edited:
But the point was made that if you don't like foreigners you are deemed a racist - and that's exactly what someone is if they don't like foreigners just because they're foreign. If you don't like someone for a reason, and they happen to be foreign, of course that isn't racism. Does that really need explaining ?

the point i was making is people find it too easy to pull things out of context, hear what they like to hear when it suits them and raise emotions by saying "ooh he must have meant that as a race thing."

if someone is rude to me or does something to upset me I will naturally say I don't like them, if a foreigner or someone of a different race does the same thing, then people like to automatically say i have only have the problem with them because of their race.

What i was saying is it doesn't matter if they are white black or just foreign, if they upset me because they were rude, i don't like them for that reason and not because of their ethnicity.

Back