Charity Rugby League game - still practising!

One of the best ways to tell a story is to get the right moments…
and you did get quite a few. Your PP is not constant though!

Ignore the above.

1. Decent try pic but it looks a bit soft

2. Again looks soft but probably the pick of the lot.

3. Needs straightening

4. Not really much of a picture (the godawful backgrounds don't help), and distracting body parts on the right

5. Over-exposed. What lens were you using? 1/500 and f/5 isn't good enough for rugby.

Overall, your shutter speed is nowhere near fast enough, especially in daylight. Can your lens do no better than f5?

Last edited:
…didn't really do much 'PP' just an autocontrast really

A constant rendition in a series of photograph is visible equal qualities in terms
of luminosity, contrast, DRL, WB, etc.

For example: luminosity- correct in the first three, 4 is brighter and 5 even more.
One cannot judge precisely what was done and by how much but inequalities are
easily recognizable in a set.

If not much PP was performed, then adequate PP should be applied at least enough
to balance the visual qualities within a set,

Ignore the above.

1. Decent try pic but it looks a bit soft

2. Again looks soft but probably the pick of the lot.

3. Needs straightening

4. Not really much of a picture (the godawful backgrounds don't help), and distracting body parts on the right

5. Over-exposed. What lens were you using? 1/500 and f/5 isn't good enough for rugby.

Overall, your shutter speed is nowhere near fast enough, especially in daylight. Can your lens do no better than f5?

I don't have any expensive editing software and when I do attempt to sharpen they look a bit harsh and false. My lens is a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. It was a very cloudy day and I'm still not particulary experienced in light and exposure, it's why I come on here for advice, although in honesty all you seem to get is pompous criticism with no suggestions how to improve! I came on asking 'how am I doing?' Perhaps this isn't the right forum for me, I'm not a professional, I don't have lots of equipment and I don't overly process. I had hoped that my composition was improving as I had taken advice from others on here in getting lower down and positioning myself better.

I don't understand your comment 'ignore the above' - what am I ignoring?

A constant rendition in a series of photograph is visible equal qualities in terms
of luminosity, contrast, DRL, WB, etc.

For example: luminosity- correct in the first three, 4 is brighter and 5 even more.
One cannot judge precisely what was done and by how much but inequalities are
easily recognizable in a set.

If not much PP was performed, then adequate PP should be applied at least enough
to balance the visual qualities within a set,

In English? Seriously, not a clue what you are talking about with all the terms you use. I do know WB is white balance, which was set to cloudy for the full set, the conditions didn't change at all throughout the game. I'm guessing in answer to my original question then I'm not doing very well at all? :/

I don't understand your comment 'ignore the above' - what am I ignoring?
Maybe you are suggested to ignore me?
I'm guessing in answer to my original question then I'm not doing very well at all?

Not at all! What I am saying is that the last take requires some tweaking in order to
"harmonize" with the others:

Rugbypp.jpg

Just keep
rocking', it will come!

Ignore the comments about PP, harmony and such nonsense like that. Get things right in-camera and you won't need to PP. I'm sure these are an improvement on your previous pics but a pat on the back with false praise won't help you improve even further.

If you're using a 70-200 2.8 then your settings are completely wrong. You want a fast shutter speed (1/1000 minimum for rugby) and a wide open aperture (2.8), then adjust the ISO to expose the scene correctly.

The backgrounds at the above match are horrendous and distracting, so keeping them out of focus as much as possible is ideal.

In terms of composition and crop they're all good. Just make sure to straighten the wonky ones like 3 and 4 above.

5 is clearly over-exposed, be sure to keep an eye on changing light levels as the match goes on.

Last edited:
it's why I come on here for advice, although in honesty all you seem to get is pompous criticism with no suggestions how to improve! I

I wont bother adding my two pennies worth then haha

PS When someone tells you whats wrong with somehting.. thats helpful

PPS the second poster was telling you to ignore Kodiak Qc who has a habit of telling everyone how good there pictures are when they arn't.. which although nice for the ego isn't really helping anyone to learn ..
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/members/kodiak-qc.79796/

poster was telling you to ignore Kodiak Qc who has a habit of telling everyone how good there pictures are when they arn't.. which although nice for the ego isn't really helping anyone to learn ..

When I see a picture that is not appealing in anyway, I abstain commenting.

Since I can recognize an effort, depending on the level of the contributor, I
will suggest simple ways to go further… without crushing
enthusiasm!

I trust the poster, here Tracey, to take the best from all suggestions!

I would just like to say I don't come on here to have my back slapped, I come on to get some help and advice. I'm only a happy amateur, I don't sell pics, although I do raise funds for charity with some of them on occasion. I sometimes take things as being very negative, with no suggestions how to improve. I do take any suggestions on board. I will try increasing my shutter speed to 1/1000 on this occasion, as I took on board the suggestion to get lower down - and bought a stool! When I look at the kit some people have on here I will never match their work, I've spent around £2000 on my camera and lenses, that's about as far as I'll go. I don't intend doing this as anything other than a hobby.

Thank you for everyone's feedback.

It shouldn't matter if you only intend to do this as a hobby, being an amateur photographer doesn't mean you can't take similar quality photos to the pros. Plenty of advice on here for next time, as mentioned... a much higher shutter speed (1/1250+) and keep your aperture wide open. You invested in a 2.8 lens, take advantage of it! Common sense would dictate you want to isolate the main subject from the background, so shooting at f5 seems pretty contrary to that.

It shouldn't matter if you only intend to do this as a hobby, being an amateur photographer doesn't mean you can't take similar quality photos to the pros. Plenty of advice on here for next time, as mentioned... a much higher shutter speed (1/1250+) and keep your aperture wide open. You invested in a 2.8 lens, take advantage of it! Common sense would dictate you want to isolate the main subject from the background, so shooting at f5 seems pretty contrary to that.

Some good advice here.

If you've got a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, use it at 2.8. 1/1000 will be ok and 1/800 as a minimum. Get in the corner of the pitch and try to shoot up the length of the pitch or across the pitch away from the spectators nearest to you, so to speak, to either take the spectators out of the frame or blur them in the background

Thank you, I think it is just a case of getting used to the lens, for so long I've only been able to get as low as 5 and I forget the greater ability of this lens! Next game in a couple of weeks - I'll be back!!

Some good advice here.

If you've got a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, use it at 2.8. 1/1000 will be ok and 1/800 as a minimum. Get in the corner of the pitch and try to shoot up the length of the pitch or across the pitch away from the spectators nearest to you, so to speak, to either take the spectators out of the frame or blur them in the background

That is just where I was shooting from, always have done, taking my lead from the pros at professional games I attend as a spectator. That particular shot was right on the touchline so little I could do about the crowd in the background.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

I think 1/500th is a bit slow in that sort of light. Up the ISO and use a wider aperture. The pics look a bit soft to me. Framing and timing look as if you've got that right, though.

1/1000 minimum.

Auto ISO? Why? It gets it wrong just as often as it gets it right.

More likely to get it right than wrong when shooting in bright & shadow areas of the field, there by given the op more of a chance of getting good a decent picture, 1/1000 is the min :)

Completely disagree. It gets it wrong far too often to rely on, expose the shot yourself and adjust during the match if need be.

Completely disagree. It gets it wrong far too often to rely on, expose the shot yourself and adjust during the match if need be.

When op is confident with new camera/ lens's and setting then yes, but Tracey is not a pro and is really just starting out :), hence my advise,

Ps
When are we going to see some of yours :D

Last edited:
When i shot Pro i sometimes made use of Auto ISO if under harsh conditions and it got it right every single time for me, it's a tool on the camera so use it if and when required, i believe it works better on the pro level cameras that some of the consumer grade models.

Back