Charlie a montage.!!

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
I did some shots of my boy Charlie in the studio this afternoon . I have just put this montage together as its something I am looking into doing for people .

I think that 4 small and 1 big works well " and its very easy to knock up :LOL:"

Thoughts welcome please ...

Charlie_Montage1.jpg

Regards MD(y)

Last edited:
Very nice mate, I love this.
Got me thinking to do this kind of shoot for my son's lad.

Would a slight amout of PP be in orderr for his runny nose in the centre shot?

I know it's what he was like at the time of the shoot, but to me it detracts from a lovely set :shrug:

Mick

Very nice mate, I love this.
Got me thinking to do this kind of shoot for my son's lad.

Would a slight amout of PP be in orderr for his runny nose in the centre shot?

I know it's what he was like at the time of the shoot, but to me it detracts from a lovely set :shrug:

Mick

Cheers buddy & Yes I should have tidied up his nose .. If it was to make it to print I would tidy it up.

Regards MD(y)

MD,

How have you put it together, I'm slowly learning PP but unsure how to combine & overlay this type of set?

Mick
:nuts:

You want me to write out everything I had to do to get this..... It would take longer than it did to make the thing.....:LOL:

Basically made two copys of the main image. Placed the four smaller images in place on the main image. Then cut out the 2nd copy of the main image and added it in place over the four smaller images to create the effect.. Then flatten the lot and jobs a good un....(y)

Hth

MD(y)

very nice work but i think it would look bit better if picture of the boy on the foreground would differ bit more of picture in top right corner. they very simillar so effect is not as good as it would be ;)
but very nice work any way!

As always pin sharp images and yes the layout works fine.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Mart...(y)

very nice work but i think it would look bit better if picture of the boy on the foreground would differ bit more of picture in top right corner. they very simillar so effect is not as good as it would be ;)
but very nice work any way!

Cheers for the feedback.. I might change it for another..(y)

MD(y)

Really effective, only downer is the runny nose, otherwise I really like it. Very nicely lit and b/g is perfect for the images.

Also thanks for the "how-to".

Really effective, only downer is the runny nose, otherwise I really like it. Very nicely lit and b/g is perfect for the images.

Also thanks for the "how-to".

Thank you (y)

I have wiped his nose now :LOL:

Dave:wave:

Very good MD.. cracking photos, i really like the layout am going to try to do 1 of these myself. Oh and who needs a handkerchief when you have photoshop :LOL: :clap:

Thanks for the comment. I look forward to seeing how you get on with yours...;)

Ps is great :LOL:

Regards MD(y)

:nuts:

You want me to write out everything I had to do to get this..... It would take longer than it did to make the thing.....:LOL:

Basically made two copys of the main image. Placed the four smaller images in place on the main image. Then cut out the 2nd copy of the main image and added it in place over the four smaller images to create the effect.. Then flatten the lot and jobs a good un....(y)

Hth

MD(y)

How did you cut it out? Paths? Im only viewing from my phone so im not 100% sure but it looks very well done!

How did you cut it out? Paths? Im only viewing from my phone so im not 100% sure but it looks very well done!

I used the magic wand tool in CS2. Set to 5%.

Hth

MD(y)

I used the magic wand tool in CS2. Set to 5%.

Hth

MD(y)

Ah I did wonder...not many photographers seem to know how to use paths so would have been surprised if you had...not that you really need to know as a photographer but it does make cutting things out look a lot better! Of course as I said that looks well done regardless so ill stop talking now :D

great set there!
The only thing that I've noticed is the white framing around the 4 smaller photos isnt consistent. On some edges its bright white but other look gray.

great set there!
The only thing that I've noticed is the white framing around the 4 smaller photos isnt consistent. On some edges its bright white but other look gray.

This is due to the fact I never bothered to change the stroke size when I did the edits on the smaller images.

More care needed by myself if I was doing this for print....

Thanks for the comment(y)

MD(y)

As per usual Dave...... Brilliant.! (y)

I really like the layout and I'm going to have to try something similar for my boy....Thanx for the idea.

Is that a black background and one light set up?

As per usual Dave...... Brilliant.! (y)

I really like the layout and I'm going to have to try something similar for my boy....Thanx for the idea.

Is that a black background and one light set up?

Black paper b/g Vince..

And I used 3 lights to light these images...

My Favorite shot from this set is the one I used for my week 4 on my 52.....

Regards & Thanks Dave (y)

Cheers for that Dave......... After writing that I had a closer look and you can just see a 2nd catch light in Charlie's left eye of the main pic

I have a 3 cheap (ebay) light set up with both white & black backgrounds so will give it a go...... I will post next week if I manage to get something.

Thanx for giving me some great ideas

Love this sort of thing. I have done a few myself and I think this has been very well done. (y)
The only other thing you may consider is to have the top 2 pictures swapped with the bottom two smaller pictures to maintain a sense of depth? ie so the 'back' ones appear further away if that makes sense.

Regards

Simon

Brilliant MD.... One small comment is that there's a slight line between the black background and the top of the main image showing. Just slight but may show in print.

Really nice though.

(y) Thanks guys ...

Regards MD(y)

Back