Chateau

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, not strictly a chateau, cos it's in Germany, but that's what the tourist guides said. I think it used to be a Bishop's residence in Wurzburg, but was taken over by the Nazis during the war and used as a barracks and palace.

Taken a few years ago on my Nikon F65 and scanned the slide in. I thought I could squeeze a bit more out of this one, and all the talk of HDR recently kind of inspired me to have a go. Unfortunately it didn't want to work in PS, so I had a go manually using layer masks, etc.

Let me know what you think...

The original shot...

Chateau_Orig.jpg

The rehashed version...

Chateau_Update.jpg

Chris

The rehash works really well - you've bought the picture to life. It's much brighter without having blown the highlights. Personally I would crop out the stonework (is it a wall?) at the very bottom of the shot though, it's a bit distracting

Thanks Paul - you might have a point there! Yes, it's a wall...

Don't know why but I don't get a sense of scale. Could be a model village exhibit ;)

Don't know why but I don't get a sense of scale. Could be a model village exhibit ;)

Is that because of the shrub and the grass in the foreground, Robert?

Hmmm more the foreground giant grass maybe?

The building being a bit too perfect isn't helping it to look real either :)

The building being a bit too perfect isn't helping it to look real either :)

Them Germans, eh? ;)

To be honest, I did skew it a little to get rid of the converging verticals. You reckon that might have something to do with it?

Tried taking out some of the size cues

Chateau2.jpg

Not sure it's done much for the picture though.

Back