Cheap, Cheerful & Useful

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok its friday, I am bored!!

So, as togs we all know how expensive our hobby can be, even small accessories apparently costing a good chunk of our hard earned. So, last week I bought something that cost me a fiver! A picnic rug, with waterproof backing, big enough to sit 2 adults, 2 kit bags, and a picnic... got used to death, and best of all, it folds and fits nicely in the laptop pocket of the kitbag rucksack, providing me with a bit of extra padding when carrying it.

I know, its ridiculous, but I love my rug!! :D :nuts:

So, what have you bought that was cheap as chips and has proved invaluble, photographic related or otherwise?

Black plastic binbag cost pennies but I could still beat the kids down the hill whilst they were on their sledges in the snow ;)

A shower cap, liberated from the Crowne Plaza hotel in Birmingham, for free. Invaluable for slipping over body when it rains. Camera body that is, not mine.

A shower cap, liberated from the Crowne Plaza hotel in Birmingham, for free. Invaluable for slipping over body when it rains. Camera body that is, not mine [S2]wicked idea[/S2] lol

:eek: ... thought you were referring to me with that title LL ... :cautious: ... except maybe the useful bit before any other comedian chips in ... :shrug:

For me the free Lens Wrap provided by AP some weeks ago is my most used and useful cheap accessory ... (y) ... used to wrap lenses (hence its derived name ... :D) ... when I carry, say, my Nifty or TC's in pocket and when not in formal use is great for added protection/padding of camera/lenses when in the kit bag ... :shrug:

:p

I must admit I thought the thread title was describing the ideal woman :shrug:

but after thinking about it I decided it was impossible .......

:eek: ... thought you were referring to me with that title LL ... :cautious: ... except maybe the useful bit before any other comedian chips in ... :shrug:

For me the free Lens Wrap provided by AP some weeks ago is my most used and useful cheap accessory ... (y) ... used to wrap lenses (hence its derived name ... :D) ... when I carry, say, my Nifty or TC's in pocket and when not in formal use is great for added protection/padding of camera/lenses when in the kit bag ... :shrug:

:p

Most people dont even know what to do with that particular item! :LOL:

:LOL::LOL:

Ok, another item to go with phils shower cap, and the showercap can wrap it up in your bag....you'll see why....

a chamois leather, or cheaper still, one of those super absorbent fakes - invaluble if you expect rain when out with kit - dries everything off very quickly and much more effecively then towelling anf the likes.

I wanted a white seemless backdrop for a photo I was planning to take. I looked into the cost of "proper" backdrop set ups and couldn't justify the cost for one photo. Then, by chance, I was in a department store and found a length of the material they line curtains with to stop the light coming through (blackout material I think it's called :shrug:) for £5 - not only did it do the job perfectly for the photo but I've still got it today and I've used it on countless occasions since :D (y)

My wife bought a household type mag a few months ago with a new type of sponge stuck to it - how boring is that? So she put it in a drawer and some weeks later on the 'bin' side to throw out

Later that weekend while washing the car I wanted to 'scrub' those pesky flies/moths etc. off but had lost my usual sponge which I used with those bug-sprays & which is always hard-work and a pain in the ass, so I found & tried the bin-fodder one

Unbelievably fantastic it is at removing dead things. You hardly have to rub, you don't need the bug-sprays, it doesn't scratch the paintwork and it looks almost as good as new 4 months later

You all want one don't you? I certainly wanted to buy a lifetime supply but here's what - it's unmarked so there's no brand name on it, and of course wifey can't remember what mag it was stuck to!

I've even searched a couple of supermarket shelves and Halfords to no avail

So my bin-fodder sponge is now considered priceless

Just to prove that I do occasionally pay for something - I recently bought a brand new 5ft wide roller-blind which makes a perfect backdrop for the princely sum of £4.50 (yep - charity shop!). Bought a few large plastic grips (B&Q - £4.99 for bag of 6 - mixed sizes) & now have fully portable backdrop for under a tenner.
Tight-a$%e or what?!?!

I love charity shops, My dad works in one 2 days a week and keeps an eye out for me, Argos and Ikea regularly donate stuff that is out of catalogues or slightly damaged, my house has been furnished with most of it! nest of tables £15, TV stand in pine £10, lovely cream sofa with washable covers £40, and some awesome retro 60's and 70's stuff ....... its great! (y)

Black plastic binbag cost pennies but I could still beat the kids down the hill whilst they were on their sledges in the snow ;)

I use those charity plastic bags you get through the door every few weeks, nicely packed ready to slip in the camera bag, and free too. :LOL:

Like the shower cap idea :)

Back