Cheap D800 and 5D2 Nottingham

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in the John Lewis store in the Victoria Centre Nottingham today and noticed they had a a cheap Nikon D800 and Canon 5D mkII body. Both are described as used items but come with a 1 year warranty and to my mind looked immaculate and indistinguishable from a new one.

D800 £1725

5D mkII £1275

I've got an iPhone photo of both if anyone is interested.

I am not a John Lewis employee by the way just though someone might be interested in a heads up on these two beauties. (y)

Oh well, I've passed this onto a friend who is about ready to pull the trigger on a 5d mk2 and it looks like we will be heading to John Lewis tomorrow for a look.

Cheers for the heads up (y)

Oh I forgot to ask, the d600 you saw, was it on display? I'd like to handle one to confirm that I want one without having to trek to the big Jessops in birmingham, and I'm not enough of a difficult customer to ask to open a sealed box :p

It was on display in a glass cabinet. So are the D800 and 5D2. I'm sure they will let you have a good look at them.

The D800 and 5D2 are in the back near the X Box stuff, the D600 with the normal camera stuff.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Thanks for this Andy. If anyone's thinking about this maybe worth considering HDEW, which is doing the 5D2 for £1179 at present with a three year warranty.

I got my d7000 from there

I'd be surprised if they are selling their demo stock

When I bought my camera they had no stock other than the demo and would not sell it as then they would have had nothing to then demo....they ordered me a new one from their Northampton warehouse, took a couple of days to arrive.

Just thought I should add that I did not look at it other than through the glass case and it didn't say why it was being sold and I didn't have time to ask.

They both looked mint to me but definitely worth asking for details. I have found John Lewis to be trustworthy when I have bought electricals from them in the past.

Oh I forgot to ask, the d600 you saw, was it on display? I'd like to handle one to confirm that I want one without having to trek to the big Jessops in birmingham, and I'm not enough of a difficult customer to ask to open a sealed box :p

What's wrong with the Jessops in Nottingham ??

I went there to handle one in the summer and decided on the D60 instead - that was a bit of an expensive trip !
- but I am really glad I paid the extra

The guys in there were really helpful - and you can have them bring them out of the glass cabinets !!
Because they didnt have one in stock and i needed it straightaway - they offered to let me borrow the shop one until it came in
Not your normal jessops service ...

welshscrapqueen said:
I went there to handle one in the summer and decided on the D60 instead - that was a bit of an expensive trip !
- but I am really glad I paid the extra

The guys in there were really helpful - and you can have them bring them out of the glass cabinets !!
Because they didnt have one in stock and i needed it straightaway - they offered to let me borrow the shop one until it came in
Not your normal jessops service ...

Uhh...

All their cameras aren't in cabinets, just lenses and flashes. Bodies are on display. They still don't have a d600 but do now have a place marker, so they might add one to the display soon.

D60? D600? D90? Must be the d90 as mentioned, the d600 hadn't even been announced during summer, so how they could have one on display is beyond me.

Edit - looking into it further, you have a 60d so I presume you initially went in to look at a 600d. Different manufacturers and similar model names, but it explains the confusion I had with your response.

I'm glad you're happy with them, I had a staff member who was serving me yesterday get told by the manager to leave me and go serve an older gentleman who wanted a compact. He wasn't even done serving me as I wanted to make a purchase. When I challenged the manager he just shrugged and walked off. Obviously younger customers arent important, they probably have no money anyway. Extremely rude and unprofessional in my opinion.

2 weeks ago, I went in with a friend who was looking at spending £5k on new gear. Got no attention at all, and fobbed off if we approached a staff member. They were all stood around trying to chat up a new female staff member I'd not seen in there before, when the shop was absolutely heaving with people, with no staff talking or serving any of them. So we walked 20 seconds round the corner to lce where the staff were happy to talk to us and put through a sale for £5k.

Take those two examples how you will. We must be going to two different Jessops, as my local one is far from decent. It's a shame lce don't carry more stock, I normally end up at Jessops for little bits I need urgently or I wouldn't go in there at all.

Last edited:
The only Jessops that I have found excellent service from, is the one at Birmingham. I bought my D4 from them.
Couldn't fault them.

Kev.

I took a non-stick roasting tin back to John Lewis because it wasn't

Condescending old cow told me I need to use cooking oil, how could a man possibly know how to cook or at least that was the inference, got my cash back and went to the much nicer Lakeland

Bought an expensive one to cut down on the amount of oil/fat needed, won't be going in there again and the perfume department on the way in sets off my asthma anyway

Well, Jessops gave me a refund today without being difficult. They do these little things now and then that stop me from hating them completely as they give me hope.

But there again, all the staff seemed to be putting in alot of effort today, more so than I've ever seen before. Might of had something to do with all of the canon and Panasonic reps breathing down their necks.

Back