Bargain Cheap flights to Iceland

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Reactions: ST4
ooo. I'm interested. I was going to go in March but nothing booked yet. What days have you booked for?

May 8th to 12th... it's not long but hopefully will give a good taster for the first time. I still haven't decided what I'll do about the car (big SUV?) and if I need to pre-book a hotel at all? If I did this it could hamper my progress on the road and limit what I can see and do?

That will be long enough to get you to the iceberg lagoon and back,

I used a Ford 4x4 Kuga last time and will be again at the end of March from Thrifty.

Anyone know of any pre-written Iceland road trips and bases along the way? Although I've been to a few places around the world and lived abroad, I'm not really what you would call a seasoned traveller. Seen the organised photo trips but they look a bit steep and take up about 11-12 days. I generally am allowed about a week each year to go off on my own with a bit of cash. the rest of my leave goes on family time.

I'm up for those dates. My only worry is if a few of us team up I don't want to slow anyone down with my walking. I'm happy walking to whereever I can on my own while you guys head to whereever which I have been told by others isn't a problem. But just might an issue if others wanted to head up a mountain or something as I'd need to find an alternative thing to do.

So far I don't have a plan yet but most likely I would try to hit as many touristy bits in the golden hour, sunset and up to sunrise. So "anti-social hours" for photography and lots of driving would be guaranteed.

Can anyone confirm if it is easy to book hotels as needed on the go?

That will be long enough to get you to the iceberg lagoon and back,

I used a Ford 4x4 Kuga last time and will be again at the end of March from Thrifty.

It's a decent car for rental. I've done around 4k miles in one in the summer. It wasn't perfect, but if they have auto it would be pretty good and quite capable on rough unpaved roads. I imagine you need one of those 3rd party insurance excess policies?

You need insurance which will cover the car as well as 3rd party. The windscreen is expensive if you have it damaged.

I have no idea whether booking hotels on the go is possible. Maybe through AirBnB it is?

Last edited:
We went for the auto option, one less thing to think about.

Depending on where you go home B&B's are thin on the ground and need booking in advance. I recommend missing the golden circle, very touristy, Gizer is worth it, other than that push on as far as you dare along the south coast, you will kick yourself if you don't get to Jokulsarlon

So far I don't have a plan yet but most likely I would try to hit as many touristy bits in the golden hour, sunset and up to sunrise. So "anti-social hours" for photography and lots of driving would be guaranteed.

Can anyone confirm if it is easy to book hotels as needed on the go?

It's a decent car for rental. I've done around 4k miles in one in the summer. It wasn't perfect, but if they have auto it would be pretty good and quite capable on rough unpaved roads. I imagine you need one of those 3rd party insurance excess policies?

I recommend missing the golden circle, very touristy, Gizer is worth it

Depends on what you mean by 'touristy': it's hardly of Trafalgar Square proportions and there are good reasons for the tourists to be there. Geysir is well worthwhile, as is Kerið volcano for its colours. Both are part of the Golden Circle...

So the dates for 8th-12th have gone up in price :( Not going to get it for £100 with baggage anymore. Its £92 without now.

But I am thinking of doing some of the wildlife stuff as well, and possibly take the flight over to the Westman Islands as a day trip. So I will probably book for at least 10 days.

Back