Cheap Gimbal Head

I have used the Beike BK-45 with a 500mm f/4 & 400mm f/2.8 and still have the head, its a very good piece of kit for the money to hold the lens stable for static shots of birds and great for video as it has some stiffness to it, its not to brilliant for tracking birds in flight as it doesn't have too much play in it, but I prefer to use handheld for flight shots anyway's, either way its a great Gimbal head to start out with or if you want to use a big lens for static shots :)

Pretty much as Joe says, they do the job but without any finesse. I bought three to mount in a hide I use and I think I got them for £45 each.

Couldn't even be sure if they have bearings in them, probably plastic sleeves but there are a few decent videos on YouTube showing how to make them a little smoother to use.

Used mine with my Tamron 150-600 it will balance well and is well worth the money

I got one from ebay when they were offering 10% off anything purchased that day. I bought it from a site saying buy it now or offer, I put a bid in that was accepted then with the 10% off it was £41.00 Consider it a bargain and I use it quite a lot.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Been thinking about getting one for occasional use when I purchase a Sigma 150-600. I know they're not on ball bearings, more likely plastic bushings, but with a little lubrication it should be ok.

I might look out for that 10% eBay offer.

Cheers

Simon

Been thinking about getting one for occasional use when I purchase a Sigma 150-600. I know they're not on ball bearings, more likely plastic bushings, but with a little lubrication it should be ok.
Simon

A word of warning Simon, some plastic type bushings actually swell when lubricated. Not sure if this would happen to the bushings on the Beike Gimbal.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good video.

Cheers MadMackem, I've got a Gitzo and D800 and looking to get the sport version of the Sigma 150-600 so all the info about the gimbal head is great!

Does it loosen up after some use?

Cheers

Simon

Slightly if any but not much, it's quite a stiff head compared to many others when trying to track fast subjects. Mind you, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
Hi Joe is be interested to see what you and some other experienced users consider is in the mid range for a gimbal as joined the big lens club yesterday and the ball head I have although decent has a small amount on flex which you can see with a 500 on DX especially when you add a TC

Hi Joe is be interested to see what you and some other experienced users consider is in the mid range for a gimbal as joined the big lens club yesterday and the ball head I have although decent has a small amount on flex which you can see with a 500 on DX especially when you add a TC

Hi Adam, I personally use the Wimberley Gimbal MK II (Current version) on a Gitzo GT3542LS Series 3 Systematic Tripod which is a Cracking piece of kit but comes with a expensive price tag. I use to use the Beike BK-45 just for static shots of wildlife as for inflight stuff I always use handheld as it is much better imho, but then again it depends on your physique if you want to or can handhold that lens all day which most won't. In Terms of mid range gimbal heads I personally have no experience in that area if i'm being honest with you, due to the simply fact I have gone from the basic to the top of the shop head so to speak, I have heard Benro GH series gets good reviews? But couldn't tell you much more from my own experiences to be fair with you.

Hi Adam, I personally use the Wimberley Gimbal MK II (Current version) on a Gitzo GT3542LS Series 3 Systematic Tripod which is a Cracking piece of kit but comes with a expensive price tag. I use to use the Beike BK-45 just for static shots of wildlife as for inflight stuff I always use handheld as it is much better imho, but then again it depends on your physique if you want to or can handhold that lens all day which most won't. In Terms of mid range gimbal heads I personally have no experience in that area if i'm being honest with you, due to the simply fact I have gone from the basic to the top of the shop head so to speak, I have heard Benro GH series gets good reviews? But couldn't tell you much more from my own experiences to be fair with you.
Thanks for reply Joe gives me something to think about

It arrived today not had chance to use it properly but just testing in the house it's seriously smooth and dampened very impressed so far

How are you finding this. I just received the Bieke BK-45 and it's gone straight back in the box and on it's way back to Amazon.
Now looking at this, but I can't find any real customer reviews.

I am really pleased it appears to be identical to a Redged Carbon RGC-4 and feels like it's fluid dampened, the one I picked up I think is a mk1 as looks like only its own adapter plate fits it but not totally sure, I'll be putting my manfrotto 393 up for sale shortly as its a much neater solution (although the 393 has served its purpose for the money cannot knock them)

Elliott have you looked at the Lensmaster gimbals? Well made uncomplicated British kit, decent prices and good service:
http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/buy.htm
Traveller works well with my 150-600 and Benro tripod.

I did see them before but didn't take to much notice. I'll take a closer look. Thanks.

I am really pleased it appears to be identical to a Redged Carbon RGC-4 and feels like it's fluid dampened, the one I picked up I think is a mk1 as looks like only its own adapter plate fits it but not totally sure, I'll be putting my manfrotto 393 up for sale shortly as its a much neater solution (although the 393 has served its purpose for the money cannot knock them)

That's good to hear. It appears though that even the mkii is not completely compatible with arca Swiss. You have to slide the plate in which means removing one of the safety screws.

Would love to hear your opinions on the Lensmaster once it arrives. I was going to order a BK-45, but after seeing your comment I don't think I will, the quality seems to be very hit and miss.

Your other 'cheap' choice is the manfrotto 393 head. Now I've got the wim I'll be getting rid of my 2nd one .....lol
Basically get the best you can afford - you spend all the time, effort, energy getting into a position where you can take the shot and then cheap out on the tools to actually ensure you get it.....

I didn't have to much of an issue with the movement of the Bieke, for me it was just the quality. The locking mechanisms were awful, moving the head considerably when lock it down and the arca Swiss clamp was probably the cheapest, nastiest thing I've ever seen. Not something I wanted to trust with my expensive body and lens.

Your other 'cheap' choice is the manfrotto 393 head. Now I've got the wim I'll be getting rid of my 2nd one .....lol
Basically get the best you can afford - you spend all the time, effort, energy getting into a position where you can take the shot and then cheap out on the tools to actually ensure you get it.....

I'm a hobbyist so can't justify £500 plus on a head. I tried the Bieke because I've been very happy with my cheaper Arca Swiss clamps, plates and L brackets from sunwayfoto. I was hoping that maybe the Bieke may fall into this good quality but cheaper category. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Hopefully the lensmaster will be a happy medium. It seems to get very good reviews.

I'm a hobbyist so can't justify £500 plus on a head. I tried the Bieke because I've been very happy with my cheaper Arca Swiss clamps, plates and L brackets from sunwayfoto. I was hoping that maybe the Bieke may fall into this good quality but cheaper category. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Hopefully the lensmaster will be a happy medium. It seems to get very good reviews.

How did you get on with this gimbal head?

How did you get on with this gimbal head?

I've not had a chance to use it in anger, but I'm very impressed with the build quality. Everything moves nice and smooth and is well balanced.

Certainly worth the money spend compared with the Bieke which is only a third of the price.

I hope one day i can afford one of those long tele primes, if so then affording the pricey Gimbal head is not an issue, in fact in about 3-4 months i am able to buy this Gimbal from Wimberley, but i don't have any long lenses yet.

Has anybody thought about using a Fluid Head instead of a gimbal head for their longer lenses?

Something like this:

www.indiawilds.comdiary_w9z9059-1.jpg

Has anybody thought about using a Fluid Head instead of a gimbal head for their longer lenses?

Something like this:

www.indiawilds.comdiary_w9z9059-1.jpg

Not sure how practical that would be for anything other than a sitting duck!

The more I've looked the more i see professional photographers using them. I used to use them for video cameras and they can move really freely when the tension is turned down.

From what i remember of my video days i feel i would rather use my gimbal for stills,you get where you want to be very quickly,video heads are about smooth travel.

Back before gimbals pan/tilt and video heads were the norm. The problem with a full fluid head/tripod is size/weight, but they're good if not going far from the car.
If you use a gimbal completely loose it's not doing anything for "stability" and you might as well be shooting handheld... it's just a very expensive weight support.

I used to use a gimbal w/ leveling base... now I'm using the UniqBall UBH45 (for pan tilt w/ long lenses).

There is nothing wrong with "plastic" bushings... if they are made of something like UHMW.

Back