Cheap Gimbal Head

Back before gimbals pan/tilt and video heads were the norm. The problem with a full fluid head/tripod is size/weight, but they're good if not going far from the car.
If you use a gimbal completely loose it's not doing anything for "stability" and you might as well be shooting handheld... it's just a very expensive weight support.

I used to use a gimbal w/ leveling base... now I'm using the UniqBall UBH45 (for pan tilt w/ long lenses).

There is nothing wrong with "plastic" bushings... if they are made of something like UHMW.

Sorry but i have to disagree with that line,i use mine lose as a weight support and find i can drop my shutter speed bellow hand held levels.

And I can pull off SS's way below the ROT handheld* w/o tripod or gimbal... that's not a great idea either.

What ever works for you.

Back before gimbals pan/tilt and video heads were the norm. The problem with a full fluid head/tripod is size/weight, but they're good if not going far from the car.
If you use a gimbal completely loose it's not doing anything for "stability" and you might as well be shooting handheld... it's just a very expensive weight support.

I used to use a gimbal w/ leveling base... now I'm using the UniqBall UBH45 (for pan tilt w/ long lenses).

There is nothing wrong with "plastic" bushings... if they are made of something like UHMW.

Using a gimbal loose is way better than handheld for blur reduction, in my view. This is at the expense of freedom of movement. The weight support factor is not to be underestimated. I can't handhold my Nikkor f2.8 400 for long. Maybe I need to get to the gym!

To the OP's question, I'd say even a cheap gimbal is way better than all but the best/biggest pan/tilt fluid heads for big lenses. I'm sorry I waited so long to get my Wimberly. I just love it.

I might go and try a Fluid Head in the shops, just to test it out for myself.......and then see if I can test fluid head from a friend too.....I think everybody has different requirements and what is best for one, might not be best for somebody else. I don't carry my all camera kit in a standard camera bag cause I think they'll all terrible.

S

Back