Cheap LCD tv at aldi.. Worth a go?

Name
Damian Brown
Edit My Images
No
£199 at aldi now: It's a logix 26" digital from medion:

LOGIX 26" Digital LCD-TV with Freeview * 26" Design LCD-TV * HD ready * MP3 and JPEG playback via USB port * Physical resolution: 1366 x 768 * Dynamic contrast ratio: 5000:1 * 2 x HDMI sockets (with HDCP decoding) * EPG (electronic program guide) * Design housing * 5in1 remote control included

http://www.medion.com/ms/aldi/md20143/ie/

Last edited:
Each to their own but for another £50 there are an awful lot of big brand 32" tv's out there.

Nip down to your local Debenhams, or have it delivered.

Much more well known brands.

Last edited:
From what I remember there are only four factories that can make the LCD panels, if you open up a "cheap" brand you usually find a "named" panel from last years model.

What you do get for your money with the "Bigger" brands is better case / stand / audio / remote :)

From what I remember there are only four factories that can make the LCD panels, if you open up a "cheap" brand you usually find a "named" panel from last years model.

What you do get for your money with the "Bigger" brands is better case / stand / audio / remote :)

I believe that could be true, definitely seen that with discs and even cars

I've always found with a TV, if you are happy watching it why are you looking at the logo ......

i got an lcd tv from aldi when they were just beginning to get popular , it went back , it really was poor :(

Actually, last year I bought a Sainsbury's own makes (called Red) 26" LCD for £199 and as a cheapo set for my hobby room, it really isn't at all bad. They are pretty good if you don't mind not being able to view HD contents at it's best.
They are still selling those sets at Sainsbury (but for some reason the 26" one has gone back up to £299) and the picture quality APPEARS to look more superior and crisp clear with a very decent contrast ratio when compared to the more expensive well known brands (where their pictures appeared more washed out).

I've had a number of Aldi/Medion/Tevion electricals from DVD players, In Car Head units etc and they have all been great! no issues. As said previously, most LCD's etc are made in few factories and previous generations are sold off to smaller manufacturers

If thats your budget then I'd go for it. (y)

does anyone know where i can buy just the remote for the logix MD 20143? as i havent been able to find a universal one that works with all the buttons anywhere.

karl

cheers but now can you say something relevant to what i just said please. as ive had the tv for adges and really like it

Few quid more to somewhere like Richer Sounds will get you a way better picture for you money. It is true that panels are sold to smaller companies, but they do not have components from all the same companies in them sometime, so you can get a few ex philips bits, a few ex samsung bits and a cpl toshiba bits all in the same set, which can cause problems. You sometimes get lucky and get all one brand parts which are a bargain, but it is a bit of a lottery. ALso with name brands you better build quality and generally better tuners in them. Most supermarket brands are really not worth the hassle.

I am starting to think no body actually reads the whole thread any more!

Karl you might find it easier to start a new thread with your question about the remote, otherwise you might be stuck in this endless loop of a thread :(

i know lol, i was thinking dude just answer my question. any chance you could answer it?

its actually very upsetting that i can't find a universal remote that will work with my tv anywhere. the best I've found so far is one that will work with the channel buttons and volume buttons but the D pad doesn't work and the enter button and nor does the av button or guide button :(

I am starting to think no body actually reads the whole thread any more!

Karl you might find it easier to start a new thread with your question about the remote, otherwise you might be stuck in this endless loop of a thread :(

?????? The OP is looking for a TV just because someone else posts a question in it doesn;t mean the OP's request should be ignored does it?

Edit: Lol just realised, most random random thread ever?

Karl, check out logitech, they are generally the best but tis just another case of the problems with supermarket brands. Also what do you expect when you revive a thread that has nothing to do with your question rather than post a new one which surely would have been easier. Anyhoo the chance is virtually nil I am afraid. Like I said check logitech remotes, but don't hold your breath

Last edited:
?????? The OP is looking for a TV just because someone else posts a question in it doesn;t mean the OP's request should be ignored does it?.

That was a year ago though. I must admit I had thought Karl was the OP (didn't scroll up to check) and was adding a follow up question. So I apologise for being slightly harsh.

EDIT - just seen your edit :p

?????? The OP is looking for a TV just because someone else posts a question in it doesn;t mean the OP's request should be ignored does it?

Edit: Lol just realised, most random random thread ever?

Karl, check out logitech, they are generally the best but tis just another case of the problems with supermarket brands. Also what do you expect when you revive a thread that has nothing to do with your question rather than post a new one which surely would have been easier. Anyhoo the chance is virtually nil I am afraid. Like I said check logitech remotes, but don't hold your breath

Check the date of the OP?

Edit: me too.

whats an OP? i asked the question on this thread because A. theres no other threads about this tv on the whole on the internet and B. i dont have permittion to start a new thread yet

im not getting an error i just don't see the start a new thread button

Top left of each forum listing is a button saying New Thread

Screenshot2011-02-06at182507.png

most supermarket brands comes from a factory in Spain where Hitatchi and low end Sharps are also produced, IIRC they use Samsung panels..

I have had a couple of supermarket brands (Technika Pro and Tevion) in the past and PQ has been fine, not as good as my current Bravia but good enough.. where they do fail is in the menu and control department, slow, clunky and buggy.. its all in the software..

trouble is with your supermarket brands nowadays is they are just not cheaper enough to warrant the trade off, £40-£80 more and you're big brand territory.

I'd say if he did buy the tv it's in a back bedroom connected to a PS2 by now

loads of option about these days

as above even supermarkets have the branded stock in

Back