Cheap macro for D700

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've not done any macro photography before but fancy giving it a go in my spare time. I'm after recommendations for a cheap macro lens to use with the D700. Nothing flash, only using this for personnal use.

thanks
Martin

Seeing that you do portraits and weddings for a living I would suggest the nikon 105mm f2.8 vr it is an awesome macro lens and great for portraits. I would post a few examples but unfortunately I lost all of last years shots when my main hard drive died and had not backed it up.

I thought you said cheap - the 105VR isn't.

If it's only for fun, why not get a manual lens, 55mm or 105mm micro? Macro is best done in manual focus anyway and with the D700 you can still meter.

If you want a cheap one around £200 i would say the Tamron SP90 DI, very good optics i also used mine as a portrait lens.

If you want a cheap one around £200 i would say the Tamron SP90 DI, very good optics i also used mine as a portrait lens.

Reviews look good for what I want but where did you see it for £200?

I ended up getting a reversing ring on eBay for about a fiver when I first started playing around.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6D (no longer made) attached to the body, 58mm filter thread of the reversing ring attached to that, then the 50mm f/1.8D attached to the 52mm filter thread on the other side of the reversing ring.

Great fun to play with, but nowhere near as versatile as a true macro lens. :)

After that I picked up a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 MF Macro lens a few years ago in the states for only US$50 on eBay (a brand new lens, the Nikon mount version of this one).

So, "cheap" is a relative term. I don't really shoot much (any) macro any more, I lost my Sigma somewhere in the move from the US to the UK. Still have the reversing ring, and only really brought it out a couple of times to play with it when I first got the D200 (just to see how it compared to using it on the D100).

If the macro calling ever comes to me again, I'll be looking into the Nikon 105, although many people I've spoken to prefer the older non-VR version more than the new VR one (which could be why, last I checked, the non-VR version sells for as much second hand as the VR one does new).

I think I've narrowed it down to three possibles:

Tamron SP90 f2.8
Sigma 105mm EX f2.8
Nikon Micro 60mm f2.8

I've heard a few bad reports about Sigma products but to be honest I use a 24-70mm f2.8 DG HSM as my main lens and love it. I've also got a Nikon 135mm prime f2 but still prefer the Sigma over it when the situation allows. Not got much experience with Tamron but I've heard good reports. They all fall within a similar price bracket.

2nd hand Tamron 90mm f/2.8 or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 shouldn't break the bank and will do just fine for what you want. I would add that they're both a reasonabl;e FL for portraits as well but I'm sure you're aware of things like that!

after all that I've purchased a Nikon Micro 105mm f2.8 VR.
Not cheap but an investment :)

Thanks everyone for the help they have given

Nice, it is a lovely lens, have fun trying out and look foward to seeing your photos. Can you post in this thread if you do post some taken with it so I don't miss them. (y)

Kenko extension tubes. What else is a macro lens but a lens with its own built-in extension tube? Anyway, cheap - £150 new - good resale [always someone wants these] and allow you to use your own lenses. 300mm long end as a macro? It can be done...

nice images thats a great lens.
i just use the macro on my 28-105 zoom probaly not as good

Back