Cheapest decent C41 develop only in UK

Name
richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, Sorry, Sorry - I am sure that this question has been posted many times before but I just can't see it in search results.

Still claiming to be a film photographer, I was surprised to see that the last roll of C41 I shot was about 2018. I was using poundland agfa vista ( Fuji color ) and the local Asda in store lab - - i.e. about 3 quid total. As you can see - no aspirations to the highest quality although ASDA were actually pretty good - they still has a good throughput ( fresh chemicals ) when they were taken over then closed.

B&W I do myself but I still have a lot of the cheapo film in the freezer so I thought I would have another go ( and my wife wants her freezer space back ).

I expect it is £5 + now + postage but I wondered if any one had a recommendation ? Had awful experience with Max Spielman years ago

I did check out those Rollei 25C kits but it was working out more expensive unless I was able to manage my film useage against shelf life far better than I could do.

Thanks

Richard

Last edited:
I have used Photo express in Hull for over ten years, they only do C41, also if you quote your TP name and have two rolls developed you receive .50p
a roll discount. see their prices here.

I have used Photo express in Hull for over ten years, they only do C41, also if you quote your TP name and have two rolls developed you receive .50p
a roll discount. see their prices here.

Thanks, brilliant - and I remember Photoexpress.
£4 or £3.5 with a TP discount + p&p will do for me.

Time to defrost

cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks, brilliant - and I remember Photoexpress.
£4 or £3.5 with a TP discount + p&p will do for me.

Time to defrost

cheers

Richard
Thinking on the discount it used to be order over £10.00 you could give them a ring to find out. Two films dev plus postage return is £11.00 so should be OK.

Last edited:
@ChrisR from these forums maintains a spreadsheet of developing prices. Link is a couple of layers down in this thread
To save the search this is the sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1RruunXEHQzeJ6jHeoT7sZZylDSzjo/htmlview#gid=1

@ChrisR from these forums maintains a spreadsheet of developing prices. Link is a couple of layers down in this thread
To save the search this is the sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1RruunXEHQzeJ6jHeoT7sZZylDSzjo/htmlview#gid=1
Hmm, for some reason that G$$gle spreadsheet doesn't seem to be working for me. It shows the answers for one b&w 35mm film, but I can't change that to zero, or add a C41 film! I'll have to look into it, probably got locked again, Grrr.

Looking at my local copy, for 1 roll of 135 dev-only I have Filmdev cheapest at £5, then Photo-Hippo at £5.25, and SilverPanLab at £6. All those costs would be plus outwards postage though, which would officially be £4.45 I think, for 1st class (I usually manage to get away with a large letter stamp in a jiffy bag, but it's risky).

Taking the postage into account, one of the freepost labs would probably be cheapest, eg AG at £8.43 or The Dark Room at £8.70, but Harman Labs at £9.95 would be more expensive than Filmdev plus postage.

If you send more films in one batch, the balance changes a bit back towards the non-freepost labs, although AG at £22.39 for 5 still beats Filmdev at £19 plus £4.45 postage!

Just checked the link in the original thread that @dmb pointed to, and it worked for me, giving the same results I summarised above. I've no idea why it didn't work when I clicked on David's "save the search" link! Anyway, I can relax again!

Checked the link in the original thread that @dmb pointed to, and it worked for me, giving the same results I summarised above. I've no idea why it didn't work when I clicked on David's "save the search" link! Anyway, I can relax again!
Odd, either link worked for me on my phone but web browser requires me to use the Android Sheets app to let me edit, not near a PC at the moment.

<edit> The link I copied from my phone browser and pasted ends with "...zjo/htmlview#gid=1" rather than just "...zjo/#gid=1" - the former link in a PC browser forces it not to log into Google docs or allow you to edit but just show the layout of the sheet. </edit>

Last edited:
FilmDev are always good value.

Thanks for all your help and I am still wading through the tremendously helpful resources that you have put together on this forum. The ssheet from Chris R works for me on a laptop - very useful and with recent prices april 22 I see.

Hadn't come accross the Bellini C41 kits but I see that they get good reviews here and elsewhere. I will pass at the moment for reasons I explained above: just not enough anticipated throughput - but I may come back to that or the 25 C kits ( even though I could "borrow" my wife's sous vide. )

As I said B&W no problem for the basics and I even picked up a daylight loader Agfa Rondinax 35 years ago which takes the hassle out of feeding a spiral in a change bag.

cheers

Richard

Last edited:
I use a shop local to me with their own developing machine and it costs me £3.00 a roll. Mind you that is scanned and no prints. Still, excellent value though. And the results are excellent too.

My brother passed away unexpectedly last week and amongst 3 boxes of camera gear were 10 cassettes of C41 which I would like to get developed to see if there is anything on them, does anyone know of somewhere in Kent who would develope these at a reasonable cost?

Just as a comparison

NTPhotoworks Dev + Scan to TIFF (High Res?) = £17.70 inc return postage
Filmdev Dev + Scan to TIFF (High Res?) = £12 inc return postage.

@ChrisR put together a nifty price calculator here

My brother passed away unexpectedly last week and amongst 3 boxes of camera gear were 10 cassettes of C41 which I would like to get developed to see if there is anything on them, does anyone know of somewhere in Kent who would develope these at a reasonable cost?
Really sorry to hear that Steve. Google says that there is a SnappySnaps in Maidstone High Street, but I've no experience of their quality and I couldn't even see their pricelist on their website. Worth a call in the first instance maybe? https://www.snappysnaps.co.uk/maidstone/services/film-processing.html

Really sorry to hear that Steve. Google says that there is a SnappySnaps in Maidstone High Street, but I've no experience of their quality and I couldn't even see their pricelist on their website. Worth a call in the first instance maybe? https://www.snappysnaps.co.uk/maidstone/services/film-processing.html
Hunted down the prices - have to search for processing on product search - https://www.snappysnaps.co.uk/maidstone/option-3-colour.html shows £10 for dev and scan to CD

Last edited:
I use a shop local to me with their own developing machine and it costs me £3.00 a roll. Mind you that is scanned and no prints. Still, excellent value though. And the results are excellent too.

Huh where do you live...India, China ;)

Huh where do you live...India, China ;)
Now, now. As it happens they appear to have put their prices up. Looks like it is £5.00 for scans now. I can't easily link to it, but if you want to check out Photo Studio in Tewkesbury you'll find it's correct.

I find these guys on eBay to be very good:-

I dare say you can access their services outside of eBay but it works for me.

Back