Cheapish wide angle for 1D...

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!!

I recently got a 1D, and am now looking for a wide angle lens to use on it. I don't often use wide angles though, and have so far been making use of an old manual 28mm 2.8 prime but its a pain for focussing etc! I have the 50mm 1.8 but it just isn't wide enough for the times I do want wide angle!

So what I am looking for is either a wide prime, or a zoom in the rough range of 17-70. As I don't use it that often I don't want to spend too much on it....a max of say £150! Ive seen a Tokina 19-35 I think it was today for £89 which seemed reasonable, but is it a good lens...for the money??

Otherwise, what else is available?? :)

Cheers!
Phil

I was expecting these elitist replies........:(

Like I say, I never use wide angle in my work, and can't see myself doing so for the forseeable future so I don't want to go splashing out on a lens that will rarely get used. It'll only really be used for quick shots here and there.

£150 is an incredibly tight budget, even if you don't have a pro cam like a 1D.

I think you should spend more and get like a 17-40 f/4 L for under £400, you will probably end up using it more once you see it's results.

I was expecting these elitist replies........:(
Aye, gets a bit tiresome doesn't it. I'm in exactly the same boat as you - looking for a cheapish wide angle for my Nikon D3.

If it's any help I've narrowed it down to a tamron 17-35, or sigma 17-35, 15-30 or possibly 12-24. But I still don't know. 1D is full frame is it not?

Nothing wrong with getting a decent second hand lens, maybe worth a gander on fleabay......:shrug:

Aye, gets a bit tiresome doesn't it. I'm in exactly the same boat as you - looking for a cheapish wide angle for my Nikon D3.

If it's any help I've narrowed it down to a tamron 17-35, or sigma 17-35, 15-30 or possibly 12-24. But I still don't know. 1D is full frame is it not?

It does doesn't it!! The 1DS is full frame, the normal 1D is 1.3x crop!

I shoot wildlife, and that is it.....the reason I want a wide angle is to take quick pics of the odd landscape just for my own reference as to where I've been (and then I can look at what I saw there in terms of wildlife). I don't want to blow the pictures up any larger than my 19 inch screen, I'm not a pixel peeper...I just want a cheap wide angle lens!! If I could afford £400 then I would have said so!! I'm quite familiar with the 24-70 2.8, 17-40, 24-105 L range...and if I had that kind of money to throw around then I wouldn't be asking for advice!

Sorry to have a rant but it's a simple enough question I think! If it helps, I would be more than interesting in buying 2nd hand!

Fracster - I've had a quick gander, but having really any ideas on what is good for the money :(

If manual focus is a pain maybe try getting a focus screen for your camera?

You may want to try some of the Crop sensor only lenses from Sigma or Tamron on your camera at the store, as some of them will work ok on a 1D without much Vignetting. The Sigma 18-50 F3.5-5.6 is very cheap.

Purpleclouds.

I picked a corker of a 28mm F2 nikkor a while back at really cheap money, its like new.It seems that the old manual focus lenses are not in "fashion".

If your only using it for recording where you`ve been pretty much, it may be worth going for a MF one.

Regards

Ade.

Edit....I know nothing about canon bodies and which lenses will or won`t work on which bodies, but how about this.....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EF-18-5...ryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Purpleclouds.

I picked a corker of a 28mm F2 nikkor a while back at really cheap money, its like new.It seems that the old manual focus lenses are not in "fashion".

If your only using it for recording where you`ve been pretty much, it may be worth going for a MF one.

Regards

Ade.

Yea....the one I have is fine, but like I say a bugger to focus! Might have a look into a new focussing screen and see if it helps, they seem cheaper than a new lens!! FranchiseJuan - do you know much about them??

Cheers :)

Not sure what the best wide angles are that are suitable for use with a 1d, have to be careful of the mounts as some like the EF-S protrude too far into the camera and can cause damage.

I have a 17-40 and thats about the widest zoom of its type i have seen, there is a sigma 12-24 i think, but cant remember if that will fit on the 1 series bodies. I believe and may be wrong that the Sigma 10-20 is similar to the Canon EF-S 10-22 as it is not designed for anything other than a 1.6 crop sensor.

If you get really stuck what about a reasonable P&S for the record shots ?

Sorry i cant be more helpful, hope you find the answer you are looking for :)

Not sure what the best wide angles are that are suitable for use with a 1d, have to be careful of the mounts as some like the EF-S protrude too far into the camera and can cause damage.

I have a 17-40 and thats about the widest zoom of its type i have seen, there is a sigma 12-24 i think, but cant remember if that will fit on the 1 series bodies. I believe and may be wrong that the Sigma 10-20 is similar to the Canon EF-S 10-22 as it is not designed for anything other than a 1.6 crop sensor.

If you get really stuck what about a reasonable P&S for the record shots ?

Sorry i cant be more helpful, hope you find the answer you are looking for :)

Point and shoot is actually a really good idea, it'd save swapping lenses for a start! :D Can probably get a good one for the price of a lens too.....thanks :D

sigma do (or did) a 17-35mm F2.8, I had one a few years ago, and it was pin sharp, the only reason I sold it on was I invested in L glass.
I'm sure you could pick one up on flea-bay for around £150.

Point and shoot is actually a really good idea, it'd save swapping lenses for a start! :D Can probably get a good one for the price of a lens too.....thanks :D

:) I always carry a point and shoot with me just in case, sometimes conditions dont lend themselves to changing lenses (beaches, dusty environments etc) :)

Some of them produce some not bad pictures too !

If you only want it for record shots I wouldn't splash out a whole lot of money on it.

Check to see if PC World / Currys have any Bank Holiday Specials

canon EF 28-90 lenses on ebay usually about £30 if you want really cheap :)

Find a cheap 17-40 [doubtful though] or look into the Tamron 12-24 as this is APC compatible IIRC. Why not have a wander round the indie shops and see if you can find an old manual only WA, would be good enough for what you want :)

I think the p&s seems a great idea and there are some really good, creative cameras in that budget.

If you go off the idea though there must be loads of wides out there you could pick up used for that cash. I know I had a 24mm sigma years back that would have done a grand job that was less than £150 new. :)

Back