Check Check Check and Check again.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
No
It's been chucking it down today here in Edinburgh but brightened up around 5pm and turned in to a lovely evening.

So I headed out when I got home to a Castle near Perth to get some photos with the lovely clouds and light.

"This is going to be ace" I thought as I got to the Castle, got all my gear out and started the short hike to the grounds. Saw a nice view so got the tripod setup, camera out, mounted, hood on, remote shutter in, check power aaaannnndddddd...nothing.

Why's my camera on.....?

Totally dead, not a jot of life coming out of the dual batteries in my grip and after a minute of thinking my camera was broken, realised that it wasn't and that I must have left it on after the last time I used it last week.

I managed to pack my gear up just in time to watch the castle glow in the evening sunlight. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :bonk:

i once took my camera out and left the card in the laptop

Why dont you set it to turn itself off automatically after a certain time. Thats what I do with mine as I'm always forgetting it on.

Totally dead, not a jot of life coming out of the dual batteries in my grip and after a minute of thinking my camera was broken, realised that it wasn't and that I must have left it on after the last time I used it last week.

There's your problem, you should be touching it daily :wacky:

I've never switched mine off, not to change CF cards, batteries, nothing, neve had ant prob's.

I have it in 2min auto off mode and when I want to get a shot I just pick her up, focus and shoot.

Sometimes when my battery dies, I take it as a hint that maybe I should be looking at things with my eyes instead!

Sounds like it must have been beautiful at the castle, I hope you sat down and enjoyed it before you left.

My laptop actually came with a dummy Dell SD card in the dedicated on-board slot. I have actually managed to insert that into my camera when I wasn't looking properly and tried to take a shot.

My (lame) excuse is that it's black, just like my Sandisk cards...

Mine often gets clicked on as I put it away/in it's bag but it auto-powers off anyway which is a lifesaver!

As good a reason to have at least one spare battery as any (and extra memory cards). I always carry a spare battery and as soon as I take the discharged one out for a top-up, I put the fresh one in. Same with memory cards.

That's not to say that I haven't run out of battery or storage in the past - in film days I sometimes found myself with the wrong batteries in the bag (the F65 and F80 take different batteries) and on more than one occasion the wrong film - while I love Velvia ISO50 for some things, motorsport isn't one of them, likewise Tri-X or HP5 for fields of sunflowers or poppies!

I've not done the battery thing yet, but I have gone out with the wrong lens on my camera before now, having been too lazy to pull it out of the (toploader) bag and see what's hanging off the front off it :bang:.

Last winter, I was trying to get a lot of wildlife shots and was just using a 70-300mm lens on my D700 all the time. Then, I got myself a (very large and heavy ;)) Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which I tried out indoors when I first got it and then put back into the toploader bag, still attached to the camera.

A few days later, I hiked out into my local woods and after a fair old trek, pulled out the trusty old 300mm for an attempt at a woodpecker, which I could hear nearby :). Imagine my delight when I found that I was not only able to get the woodpecker into the shot, but nearly 100 complete trees as well :naughty:!

(y)

Back