Critique Cheeky Chappy

Name
Keiran
Edit My Images
Yes
A few images from a quick photoshoot for my sister the other day. Images were shot against an Ikea blackout blind with a single softbox to camera right. Editing wise I have tried something new to me and gone for a more fine art look to them. I'm not very technical with studio based shoots as I mostly shoot outdoors in natural light so quite new at this so any pointers welcome :)

12592409_10156455781990181_2853952788215726519_n.jpg

11224678_10156455803925181_8169200309221815024_n.jpg

Keiran,
as much as I am pleased to say that these are superb portraits
I am sad to say that the treatment you rendered is not pleasing
as it does not reflect the typical characteristic of childhood!

Hi

Looks like Mr K beat me to it.

I am no expert and I do like the lighting but not to keen on the pp.

Yes I know how you mean. Editing would probably suit an adult portrait better. Although I admit I am not a massive fan of shooting children's portraits on white backgrounds but will try another edit. I will post the out of camera shots and see what you think of them :)

Now, that's more like it!

Now that I'm seeing them next to each other I understand what you mean. It doesn't suit the type of image and now I like the original shots more lol

Thanks very much :)

I think I got caught up in the editing process and treated them like a landscape edit if you know what I mean. Or maybe lack of trust in my ability in camera. I'm not sure

Looks to me like you tried to make the background black, by upping the black, without isolating the subject first. Try burning to do this and leave the subject untouched, it just accept the background for what it is (though I'd clone the missing but on the RHS of the second shot).

The SOOC shots look pretty much fine, more distance to the background would have rendered that black leaving you little to do PP wise. Nice shots, with great expressions which are often hard to get, and generally make a shot. Well done.

Last edited:
I like the ones straight out of the camera ones.

Looks to me like you tried to make the background black, by upping the black, without isolating the subject first. Try burning to do this and leave the subject untouched, it just accept the background for what it is (though I'd clone the missing but on the RHS of the second shot).

The SOOC shots look pretty much fine, more distance to the background would have rendered that black leaving you little to do PP wise. Nice shots, with great expressions which are often hard to get, and generally make a shot. Well done.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the one with the edge is straight out of the camera so hadn't been cropped off.

So if there's more distance between the background and subject the BG will be more black? Is that correct?

if there's more distance between the background and subject the BG will be more black? Is that correct?

Ian is right and that's because of the application of the "inverse square law"!

Personally, I think your BG is better so!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the one with the edge is straight out of the camera so hadn't been cropped off.

So if there's more distance between the background and subject the BG will be more black? Is that correct?

I can see the edge on your edited version too.

Kodiak has already answered, and the inverse square law is as you increase the distance from the light source the light falls off by the square. So if you double the distance you get a quarter of the light. Three times the distance, a ninth of the light, etc. If you want a black background you don't even need a background at all, though it helps, as the light will not illuminate it if your subject is far enough away and you're using a light on your subject that overpowers the ambient light (room lights). Often works better with a narrower aperture.

Last edited:
Might just be my eyes though.

Nothing wrong with your eyes Simon but,
considering what the images were before,
I think it is a much lesser evil!

Thanks very much for the comments and feedback on these. I am planning a few more studio type shoots this year and all helps me to improve so thanks again :)

Back