Chester zoo

Name
Tara
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
A lot of animals looking at you... You didn't have your shirt on back to front or something else embarrassing did you? :D

Love the animals though, lovely pictures :D

A cracking set Tara :)

I've not been there in a few years, it wasn't bad, (at the time)
but TBH I much preferred Yorkshire Wildlife Park.

I have only ever seen Chester Zoo via a TV programe. My opinion was that it seemed to be a very good zoo with a very caring staff and excellent conditions . Mind you there some animals that are not suited to captivity..

We visited about a year ago and I have to say that while it was clear that a lot of money & work had gone into the enclosures, the "animal fix" wasn't great. You did a lot better than me with your pictures. We've now joined Longleat for a year as it's just down the road, and we used a mix of Tesco vouchers, the fact that we're local, and I'm now 60, to get the cost right down.

The first shot of the Chimp is wonderful.

We wanted to like Chester as it’s reasonably local to us (1:30 hr) but the high ticket price, Lack of paper map (download link on website was broken) couldn’t even buy one on site, as the app “is better for the planet” wasn’t a good start. Many enclosures were either very overgrown or full of dead bushes, chains, straps and ugly ‘nests’ which made getting 1/2 decent shots difficult even if you could see the animals. Also the place was full of people wandering around glued to their phones, presumably “on the app” My partner is a bit slow and walks with a stick and got bumped into multiple times and even hit by a baby buggy at one point…. “Sorry didn’t see you”

I love visiting Zoos, we were lucky in France to have 3 great ones close (ish) to us Limoges, Calviac and Gramat (all worth a visit if you’re ever down that way) but Chester just didn’t hit the mark for us sadly. Either as a “plain old” visitor or as a photographer.

The highlights for me were the Dawrf Mongooseseseses who were out and about doing mongoosy stuff and the butterfly walk which I really did enjoy. Fortunately I can can get both encounters closer to home and so will stick to the Welsh mountain zoo and pilli palace for the rest of the summer :)
A cracking set Tara :)

I've not been there in a few years, it wasn't bad, (at the time)
but TBH I much preferred Yorkshire Wildlife Park.

Cobra, the Yorkshire wildlife park is really one I want to visit but it’s a fair old trot for a day visit from us.

wasn’t a good start. Many enclosures were either very overgrown or full of dead bushes, chains, straps and ugly ‘nests’
That sounds like it really has gone down hill since I was there :(
Mind you my local ZSL ( whipsnade) has been going down hill for awhile also :(

but it’s a fair old trot for a day visit from us.
I don't know where you are, but
its about 2.5 hours for me, and well worth the journey.

Really nice set especially the first chimp shot such a great expression
Until recently we have been members of Chester zoo for a long time and although the animals are well looked after it isn’t as good as it used to be for photographing the animals especially the big cats
We are also members of the Welsh Mountain zoo and now prefer to go there even though it’s an hours drive for us

Back