weekly Chevin"s 52 in 23 ... Week 9: Broken

These are really interesting Duncan. I think that I like the second shot better but I would have cropped it to keep the width but lose the logo at the bottom. I like them both.

Thanks Bill

Week 9 ... Broken

A broken tooth pick this week

Broken_3 by Chevin, on Flickr

Subject, angle and lighting all good Duncan.
Great macro shot.

Some great detail in there and nicely lit. I did wonder what it was at first!

Nice macro take on the theme :)
Thanks Gav ... btw how are you getting on with the Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Maro Lens? I use PB6 bellows and a reversed EL Nikkor 50mm f2.8 to get x5 magnification but it's not really field orientated and the Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 is out of my price range atm

Subject, angle and lighting all good Duncan.
Great macro shot.
Thanks Peter ... my macro lighting rig is slowly improving but I still need a bout of GAS to really for it out.

A nice bit of macro work
Thanks Paul for the comment

Some great detail in there and nicely lit. I did wonder what it was at first!
Thank you Helen for the comment

Thanks Gav ... btw how are you getting on with the Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Maro Lens? I use PB6 bellows and a reversed EL Nikkor 50mm f2.8 to get x5 magnification but it's not really field orientated and the Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 is out of my price range atm
I'll be honest, I've not used it as much as I'd have like to yet, but the lens feels well built and produces clear images, I've not done any rail & image stacking work yet, but the single shots on small bugs are good but tricky when they are running around, at f2.8 - f9 I can get away with OVF but f16 requires liveview as it's just too dark for OVF, some bright modelling lights are next on the list... ;) I seem to reach for 100mm x2 lens first, really need to stop buggering about around the hares and start macro again :LOL:

The optional light for the front of the lens is pants, not bright enough for viewing at f16 hand held, I guess rail mounted it'll be fine for focusing at 2.8 and changing the dial after.
Sorry not much help :)

I'll be honest, I've not used it as much as I'd have like to yet, but the lens feels well built and produces clear images, I've not done any rail & image stacking work yet, but the single shots on small bugs are good but tricky when they are running around, at f2.8 - f9 I can get away with OVF but f16 requires liveview as it's just too dark for OVF, some bright modelling lights are next on the list... ;) I seem to reach for 100mm x2 lens first, really need to stop buggering about around the hares and start macro again :LOL:

The optional light for the front of the lens is pants, not bright enough for viewing at f16 hand held, I guess rail mounted it'll be fine for focusing at 2.8 and changing the dial after.
Sorry not much help :)
Thanks for that ... I must admit I do fancy the new Olympus 90mm x2 macro lens ... stacking a DCR 150 and 250 on the front gives (by my dodgy cals btw) a x5 magnification, adding the TC1.4 should get you x6.5 magnification ... I don't know what the live view would look like but AF and IS are available (I shoot Olly M4/3 btw) which would help a lot. The STF-8 flash unit also is a direct fit .... need to start saving and being attentive to the missus ... mine you she'll smell a large rodent as soon as I start that.

Thanks for that ... I must admit I do fancy the new Olympus 90mm x2 macro lens ... stacking a DCR 150 and 250 on the front gives (by my dodgy cals btw) a x5 magnification, adding the TC1.4 should get you x6.5 magnification ... I don't know what the live view would look like but AF and IS are available (I shoot Olly M4/3 btw) which would help a lot. The STF-8 flash unit also is a direct fit .... need to start saving and being attentive to the missus ... mine you she'll smell a large rodent as soon as I start that.
Good luck! Braver man than me :LOL:
All my gear is manual focus only so I just set it and chase something, normally there's more swearing than images captured..

Nicely composed and shot. I did wonder what it was....

Great macro Duncan! I was thinking that it was a small bone...

Well taken shot - presuming stacked again which is well done. Great detail. Cleverly kept it mostly in the same focal plane which would make it easy on you.

Not a huge fan of the black BG if I'm honest.

Well taken shot - presuming stacked again which is well done. Great detail. Cleverly kept it mostly in the same focal plane which would make it easy on you.

Not a huge fan of the black BG if I'm honest.
Thanks Graham
Yes stacked again, I was trying out a trial copy of Zerene Stacker and I must admit I'm well impressed with it. It runs from a plug-in in Lr, imports & processes as a Tiff file. In comparison Ps is a sluggard and memory hungry ... this was a typical 30 image stack which if processed in Ps would inevitably bring up a memory intensive warning, Zerene handled faultlessly with no memory warning, and speed wise it completed the stack and alignment in a couple of minutes. Serene also allows you to slab, you just tell it how big a slab you want and what over lap and it does the rest. Also you can process as with either a PMax or DMax algorithm. It also has the functionality to retouch parts of images. Another major plus is that the chap who runs the Photomacrography.net web site, Rick Littlefield also developed Zerene Stacker ... help is readily available.
I'm really interested in developing a set-up for extreme macro upto x20 magnification, my current rig ... with PB 6 bellows & reversed EL Nikkor enlarger lens I can achieve x5 magnification. At the moment I use a Nisi manual rail but to move into higher magnifications I'm planning to use a motorised rail and Zerene has an integrated controller for the Cognysis Stackshot rail so there's an advantage there.

Thanks Duncan. x5 would seem quite extreme... x20 should be interesting. Imagine you would need motorized and automated kit for that.

I've not tried zerene, currently have the trial of Helicon, which is great. Will try Zerene when I next fancy a bit of stacking.

Don't neglect the image as a whole though... Is what I took from my first attempts into macro. :)

Back