Children of the 1930's - 1970's

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Got this in an email from a friend today... just thought I would share :)

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

...and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

minimeeze said:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse! (y)

I was born in 72 and can relate to some of those.

Especially the leaded paint ........yummmmmmmmmm :D

'74 here, that list pretty much sums up my childhood - as long ago as it was :woot:

minimeeze said:
but rather to skid in sideways, Beer in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

tweaked for personal accuracy :)

Being born in 1961 , I feel sorry for the present 'cotton wool' generation :(

i was born in 1970 i can relate to much of that,lovely worms in those days (y)

Child of the late 70's early 80's and I certainly relate to most of those :crying:

1958 yep been there done all that,i remember it like it was yesterday, you forgot the holes in our shoes though :LOL:

'73 here. Spangles, starwars and Raleigh choppers I grew up on.

I was overjoyed when raleigh re-released the chopper. Until I saw what the H&S numpties had done to it. The whole point of the thing was the centre gear shift and the fact you could 2 of your mates on the seat/luggage carrier. grrrrrrrr.

We definately used to make our own entertainment....Most of which today would've earned us an ASBO.

I realy do feel sorry for kids today, no fun, overweight and too much pressure. Poor babies.

what about AZTEC chocolate bars, and cap,n crunch cereals. :p

thailand tel said:
what about AZTEC chocolate bars, and cap,n crunch cereals. :p

While we're on the subject of food... anyone remember Texan bars? They'd take a whole breaktime to eat! And Spacedust?

And has anyone noticed how much smaller Golden Nuggets are these days?

The 70's was a good time to be a kid! :)

Catdaddy said:
While we're on the subject of food... anyone remember Texan bars? They'd take a whole breaktime to eat! And Spacedust?

And has anyone noticed how much smaller Golden Nuggets are these days?

The 70's was a good time to be a kid! :)

spacedust was that the stuff that kinda bubbled up when you put it in your mouth ?? :nuts:

thailand tel said:
spacedust was that the stuff that kinda bubbled up when you put it in your mouth ?? :nuts:

it was really funny if you gave it to a dog , I'd never do that :nono: :naughty:

Texan bars have been relaunched, although they're not the same. They're about a fifth of the size for a start.

Have you heard the news too?
The company behind the Highland Toffee is going into administration :(
Snap em up while you can folks before Nestle buy em and ruin em.

My childhood was the 60's/70's...
I remember little girls still pushed toy prams down the street and wore knee length socks held up with circulation-stopping elastic bands,
Boys wore dreadful knitted tank-tops over Paisley printed shirts and 'patch pocket' trousers .
Both sexes sported bruised wrists from playing Kanackers (sp)
My parents never allowed me to use the house phone,
I only came home for lunch, tea and bed time.. the rest of my time was spent playing out... either at the park or 'over the cut' (canal)
All the buses had conductors,
Some of my favourite bought games were Mousetrap, Potterswheel and Handsdown.
I was the only girl in my street to have an actionman.
We played 'tick, tick, shine-a-light' and 'Postmans Knock' on dark evenings.
I used to buy Vimto Blackjacks & Spangles with my pocket money.
Programmes I loved were BananaSplits, The herbs, Poguls wood, The Tomorrow people & The Avengers with the delicious Emma Peel.
Every kid in my class started the day with a little bottle of free pastuerised milk and a chocolate biscuit and we all went to bed with a book.
No-one I knew had more than one tv in the house
Oooh I could go on, and on as its all coming back to me now (isnt that a song). Min what have you started, lol!

oh wow...banansplits...one banana, two banana, three banana four.....the double deckers, the drummer was Peter Firth who is now a rotund balding actor and I still love him...lol

I wore my mum stockings held up with elastic bands and her high heels and tottered down the road pushing my pram
I played out all day, had white feet from wearing ankle socks
I had a friend who had her hair in ringlets, I love springing them, I used to ask her if I could push my finger up her ringlets, thought she was beautiful, I loved watching her Mum brushing them around her finger when I called for her in the morning....
I remember smells too, one of them is children in my class smelling like wax crayons, I didn't like it much, only recently have I discovered that the smell of wax crayons was actually pure wool, I wore bri nylon with bobbles all over them from the way my mum washed them...
I used to buy four fruit salad for 1d, one old penny...
2oz of everybody's mixture for 3d
Always walked to and from school, my sister used to try and lose me, by running ahead, I was such a scaredy cat I would get in right old panic lol
My Dad would come home from work smelling of cigarettes and engine oil and imperial leather after shave, I loved him...he used to occasionally bring home his sandwiches left over from lunch but they smelt the same but with the added smell of greasproof paper, I never fancied them....
On a Friday night, Dad would bring home Mars bars or Toffee Crisps, but he would eat his tea before handing them out, I hated being kept waiting but used to go and feel his jacket pocket just to check he had remembered..
Mum used to cut an orange into quarters to share between us children, she did the same with a block of dates, I loved biting off the bits of dates, still love them to this day..

So many memories, thanks Glo for helping me remember them, you really don't look that old.....

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing!

Finding a scorpion in the back garden, watching my Dad mow the lawn (while he was wearing a shirt and tie!), showing my sister pictures of tarantulas to frighten her, my sister frightening herself when she went rummaging through Dad's drawers, only to find a cased-up dead bird-eating spider!

School projects on things like the Armada, French wine. My first violin lessons at school, and the (not completely painless) hour long practice sessions afterwards! And then trying to play my Dad's classical guitar with the violin bow (before I'd even heard of Jimmy Page!) Watching Dad making my very own rattler for football matches in the garage, building Tamiya model F1 cars. Going for long bike rides - just me and my sister. Walks on a nearby village green after school. Going camping... in the back garden!

All without a single care in the world!

Joe T said:
Live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse! (y)

That's my motto, although in reality it will probably be backwards through a hedge in a fireball :LOL:

one of the funniest things i remember is when the snack wotsits went on sale,i was with a mate and when we were in the local shop i asked for a bag, this is how the conversation went.

me.. can i have a bag of wotsits please.

shopkeeper.. WHAT ! (RAISED VOICE)

me.. can i have a bag of wotsits please.

shopkeeper.. ARE YOU BEING FUNNY SON.

me.. no (looking over at my mate) really have'nt you seen them advertised on tv.

shopkeeper..NO AND I THINK YOUR TAKING THE MICK.

me.. honest mr i ain't i've seem them advertised on tv, wotsits honest.

shopkeeper..WELL TELL YOU WHAT SON SOUNDS LIKE YOU THINK I'M A PRAT SO YOU BEST HOP IT BEFORE I GIVE YOU A THICK EAR.

tel and mate scurrys out of the shop laughing.

i guess maybe i should have asked for cheesy wotsits.:LOL:

MoJo's two for a penny, I used to love to antagonise the old lady in the post office by asking for a pound note's worth :D

She used to count them out 1 by 1 too

I remember being taken home to my parents by the local coppa for scrumping strawberries and jumping into the river from a local bridge on hot summer days.

choppers and grifters were the bikes to have and BMX was just a rumour over here.

Have you noticed that all the sweets are much smaller than they used to be? Curly Wurlys, Wagon Wheels etc.. they were huge.
I remember:
school tuck shops selling smax and puffs (whole different meaning today :cautious: :LOL: ), sweet cigarettes, mojos, cola bottles etc.
Pacers - minty sweets like opal fruits (or should that be starburst??)
Flute lessons
Playing 'block' and 'tiggy' in the street until it got dark
The first day we got a telephone.. one of the old style ones with a proper dial where you got numb fingers if you had to dial a long number
The old style toploader VHS recorders that were about a foot thick
spacehoppers
Mr Benn, picturebox, fingermouse, camberwick green

:eek: I'm showing my age now :LOL:

flute lessons eh Glo.......were they behind the bike sheds?
:D

Aye, top loading VCRs, we had one which opened with enough power to launch an action man 18" into the air.

If your showing your age......i'm getting worried because i remember Mr benn,fingermouse and the others :eek:

Or did i read about them ;)

"Nostalgia is a wonderful thing!!!"
Dad on strike (not wanting to but told to) power cuts, gas cuts,
stand pipes in the road. hiding with mum and baby brother under the stairs when the tally man called, dad all over the country, working for any gang master that would pay a shilling or two so he could send it home to pay the rent, going to school with holes in shoes and tank-top, watching the other kids eating they Aztec bars, wotsits, space dust and candy cigs,
mother taking in washing to make ends meet. getting a grant to buy a school uniform (actully that wasnt bad) riding a bike made of many bits found at the dump while the others had they choppers and 5 speed racers.
being told by the PE teacher that i had to do PE in my underware because my mother could not afford pe kit for all of us kids,
only one room (the living room) being heated in the winter.

BUT we was loved, we always had a full belly, the cloths we wore was always clean and we had respect....
would a change a thing..Not a chance, best time of my life

Ditto alot of that Madpup... except the dad thing - he was too busy tarting around which just left my mum and 3 of us!

Born early 79 and most of those apply to my upbringing.... wasnt it great back then.... lol. The kid of today, I pity them, but on the other hand, I also pity the parents.

I mean how many times have you seen someones kids playing up, you know, their parents know, and god damnit even the kids know they deserve a bloody good crack around the head, but can anyone do it.... NO.... why the hell not.. I used to get a good crack when I deserved it and it did me no harm.

minimeeze said:
Ditto alot of that Madpup... except the dad thing - he was too busy tarting around which just left my mum and 3 of us!
By 'eck ... it were grim oop north! ;)

Actually I can relate to some of that too and the stuff that didnt effect me personally, I would have known someone who it did.

Like...
Putting ten bob in the back of the telly,
Jam sandwiches on a good day after school, Ketchup sandwiches(?) by the end of the week,
Mom knitting everything I wore (a la Marianne in Bri-nylon) with the exception of my socks & undies,
Getting a 2nd hand Chopper bike for my birthday,
Dad painting my sister's dolls pram Battleship grey for christmas,
Family pet dogs that used to roam the streets,
The nit nurse,
The whole street playing with huge skipping ropes that stretched across the road,
Wagging school to go on runs with my dad who was a lorry driver,
Smog,
Mom dragging out the washing machine into the middle of the kitchen floor every week and putting the clothes through the mangle,
Lino on the bedroom floor,
Blankets and candlewick bedspreads,
The coalfire in the living room and ice on the inside of the bedroom windows.
Ooh I could go on like this all night, lol!

we never had the coin TV.......Mk1 pay per view ;)

we had the leccy meter, I remember being sent round the street a few times asking neighbours if thay had change for the meter.

Mum had a twintub washing machine, doing the washing took all day :eek:

I remember the ice on the inside of the windows too, in the pre double glazed days.

Back