Chinese Water Deer Portrait

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
This silly sod got too close, it stopped a few times on the way in to sniff the air, but just kept coming.

It came in so fast I just couldn't adjust myself or set the camera up fast enough.

I was a little gutted as it stopped it pulled it's 'fangs' in and there not in the shot.

No crop, 500mm Full frame, 1/6400 - f4 - ISO 400

CWD Full frame
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great pictures of a beautiful creature :D I love them all. Well taken Gav :D

Nice! You don't happen to know what kind of deer that is do you? I've never seen one with a head like that before.

#2 is thinking WTF is that? :D
Lovely set Gav and TBH #2 is actually my favourite.

Last edited:
I just looked back and saw that. Never seen one like that before!
They are obviously an Asian species and I don't think they are in your part of the world,
We (Brits) had the habit of importing Animals at one time.
The Duke of Bedford and Lord Rothchild ( yes the money man) were mostly responsible for "Collecting" a lot of imports.
And they escaped or were released.

(Sorry Gav :) )

Nice! You don't happen to know what kind of deer that is do you? I've never seen one with a head like that before.
Cheers Don, the adult males have some lovely fangs.

Fully grown their just 50cm tall (Edit- 50cm to shoulder, up to 100cm to ears) and around 11-18kg in weight.

Stalked for their meat here now (and for number control) :)

One from March with the 'fangs'

cwd early walk by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
#2 is thinking WTF is that? :D
Lovely set Gav and TBH #2 is actually my favourite.
It was very strange, I was laying in the grass just wearing a tilly hat and it seemed to look straight through me and had a sniff around and then charged straight at me, I know they are very small, but didn't fancy it's needle hoofs over my back :D
Thank you :)

(Sorry Gav :) )
No worries, thank you (y) :)

Last edited:
Good work Gav, really nice set, number 5 would be my pick.

A really great set of images, never saw them in the Uk but then i lived in South Wales most of the time so no real surprise.

Very nice set of wildlife style captures Gav, liking all of these very much.

These are great Gav , some of your best I would say , shame about the Fangs , but no worries you got some great pics .

I agree with Mark Gav. some of your best and the best we have been fortunate enough to see !! Hat off mate, I strongly suspect talk wont see a cooler set of CWD for a good while, unless you give us that !!

Buddy 50 cm are they around the same size as brown hare? Maybe smaller?

Lol wildlife how is one ever ready for what is about to happen..................... I tare myself to bits on not having the right techs mate on species I spend hours and hours and hours trying to fathom
I know somehow the best read what is beyond me and are ready, but me mate, i'm lost in the dark.

Fab bud (y)

I agree with Mark Gav. some of your best and the best we have been fortunate enough to see !! Hat off mate, I strongly suspect talk wont see a cooler set of CWD for a good while, unless you give us that !!
Thank you, Stu (y)

Buddy 50 cm are they around the same size as brown hare? Maybe smaller?
I've just done some research .. again.. 50cm is floor to shoulder, up to 100cm to ears on an adult male (I've done an edit above).
Not sure why they refer to shoulder height.

They stand over Hare, but when Hare stretch or run they look similar size wise ..apart from neck

The one in the images was around the around the size of a large hare body wise .. the wild grasses beside it are just above my knee, it's this years young, there are 2 sticking together at the minute, mums left them to it.

I always find sizing tricky as their legs are always in the crop or mud.

Lol wildlife how is one ever ready for what is about to happen..................... I tare myself to bits on not having the right techs mate on species I spend hours and hours and hours trying to fathom
I know somehow the best read what is beyond me and are ready, but me mate, i'm lost in the dark.

Fab bud (y)
It keeps us trying harder :D
Thank you.

Last edited:
Not sure why they refer to shoulder height.
All 4 legged animals' ( certainly mammals) height ( size )is measured / classified to the shoulders.
Be that feet or inches, or in the case of horses, it's measured in hands.
But even that is equivalent to 4 inches ( 1 hand = 4 inches)

And birds, by wingspan, sometimes length as well.

Last edited:
All 4 legged animals' ( certainly mammals) height ( size )is measured / classified to the shoulders.
Be that feet or inches, or in the case of horses, it's measured in hands.
But even that is equivalent to 4 inches ( 1 hand = 4 inches)

And birds, by wingspan, sometimes length as well.
Thank you, Chris (y)

I'm still learning, I knew about horses and hands, but a few things I read (& people is speak to) seem to offer differant info, Hare appear to be measured in length (with & without tail) and the Chinese WD seem to have mixed info depending on who tells you. I might have to talk to one nicely and ask for it's stat's :LOL:

Hare appear to be measured in length
I guess that's a bit of a tricky one.
Perhaps I should have said most larger animals, it certainly applies to dogs but not cats, but most certainly deer.

Their numbers are increasing around here - until the gamekeeper gets out and fills the freezer. Another nice picture you got yourself there - I see them at a distance but they are very cautious and once they decide they are going they are gone. Will be easier to see them when the harvests are done again.

Their numbers are increasing around here - until the gamekeeper gets out and fills the freezer. Another nice picture you got yourself there - I see them at a distance but they are very cautious and once they decide they are going they are gone. Will be easier to see them when the harvests are done again.
Thank you, I was surprised to see any after seeing how many were hung in the trees waiting to be collected after the last stalker was out.

They are extremely difficult to get close to, very twitchy beasts.

Harvest is well on the way now.

Gav that's why I asked...simply curiosity as to where that measurement was..and secondly as you spend time with both species IE hare and CWD your comparison, as I've never seen CWD. LOL 50 cm to the head made CWD sort of dik dik size. which when you see one even in a zoo is sort of bewildering for a deer type e'rm fingy guess they are antelope, but between mates who cares. But if as Chris said , to the shoulder.then that is sommit else

Deer size is an unfathomable too me bud, even though I spend to long far too long poxing about with 'em.................How can a fallow doe not show her back in wheat that I'm stood in ( tram line) and is between knee and hip.......simply I dunno. They look way bigger than they are.

Images leave me clueless. as to size Gav. even my own:runaway::LOL: so yeah thanks for the reply

Hmmm sorry about this mate 2 serious posts in one thread.note to self must try harder :exit:

Images leave me clueless. as to size Gav. even my own:runaway::LOL: so yeah thanks for the reply

Hmmm sorry about this mate 2 serious posts in one thread.note to self must try harder :exit:
I'll be honest, the talk of size is making me want to go out get closer and measure things (crop etc) after an image to gauge some height :LOL:

Tell me about it.just got in tonight and shaz said STFU LOOK !!!!!!!!!!......right by me back door a few yards away is a juvie GWP T'was gorgeous Gav stunning, first time in 30plus years, right there by me house. Fella is raiding my path tis bliss

an Me all I can think of is "holy sh*t it's huge" :LOL:

Meh I thought it was only film guys that measure stuff and that aint height............

you will have deer hitting a mark next bud................
you best not tell us you put duct tape down for novice movie stars to stand of for a portrait

deva.not OCD mate deva,

I'll be honest, the talk of size is making me want to go out get closer and measure things (crop etc) after an image to gauge some height :LOL:
I took out my stick of inches, earlier, and a set of bathroom scales.
I came up with this

Chinese water deer are a small deer species around 0.50m to 0.55m tall at the shoulder. When fully grown bucks weigh between 11 to 18kg.

I took out my stick of inches, earlier, and a set of bathroom scales.
I came up with this

Chinese water deer are a small deer species around 0.50m to 0.55m tall at the shoulder. When fully grown bucks weigh between 11 to 18kg.
How did you get them to stand still?

.50-.55mtrs ... my OCD needs to know to my work standards of +/- .001mm :LOL:

You've heard of the horse whisperer ? I taught him all he knows (y)

I've given you a baseline to work from, you do the rest of the calculations :D

Same way the Victorians did - give them acute Lead poisoning...

Back