Choosing software is a Nightmare

Been playing with the On1 Raw 2019 most of this evening and it seem a very nice software
I have been doing the same, I previously bought LR5 and 6, but now as my stand alone LR6 won't work with my XT3 I decided to look elsewhere. I did have CC rom Adobe, but I just don't like paying a monthly amount, I realise it's not much a month, but I prefer to own something outright. Each to their own of course, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Adobe, I also doubt they will care :)

I have been doing the same, I previously bought LR5 and 6, but now as my stand alone LR6 won't work with my XT3 I decided to look elsewhere. I did have CC rom Adobe, but I just don't like paying a monthly amount, I realise it's not much a month, but I prefer to own something outright. Each to their own of course, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Adobe, I also doubt they will care :)

What have you decided to settle on. It really is hard i think cos been with adobe for years and there software just seem polish.

But On1 seems to be doing well and possibly
Better

I've bought ON1 2019. It just runs a little slow on my MBP, I'll live with it though. :)

No, I've tried them all, and IMO Adobe is the best :p
For a while I thought that, particularly regarding highlight recovery, but things move on and there are several programs with better highlight recovery than LR.

What you think of it
Oviously there is a learning curve, and compared to LR I don't like the UI as much.
However, they approach raw developement from a different direction to LR.
Whereas LR was all about highlight recovery, the "highlights" slider in On1 is not as sensitive/effective.
What you have to do is adjust (reduce) the overall exposure to get your highlight details back and then bring up the mid-tones and shadows, to give the correct overall balance.

Why bother paying at all if you don't need everything the package includes?

I only pay for what I really need and would never consider the subscription model simply because it can be increased at any time.
I'm definitely with you on this.
I hardly ever used PS, so if I go with the rental I'm paying for something I don't need.
Plus the CC price has already been increased since it was introduced, so who knows what it will be in two or three years time?

With layers and masks, I find On1 does virtually everything I would have used PS for, so for me it replaces two programs.

There also the iPad too I don’t use it for processing yet but might do later down line when away and using the pencil and at the moment CC seem and complete pack for that. If they did LR on it own for £4.99 a month it be more appealing.

But it not just about IPad it about which is suitable for my needs

For a while I thought that, particularly regarding highlight recovery, but things move on and there are several programs with better highlight recovery than LR.

Oviously there is a learning curve, and compared to LR I don't like the UI as much.
However, they approach raw developement from a different direction to LR.
Whereas LR was all about highlight recovery, the "highlights" slider in On1 is not as sensitive/effective.
What you have to do is adjust (reduce) the overall exposure to get your highlight details back and then bring up the mid-tones and shadows, to give the correct overall balance.

I'm definitely with you on this.
I hardly ever used PS, so if I go with the rental I'm paying for something I don't need.
Plus the CC price has already been increased since it was introduced, so who knows what it will be in two or three years time?

With layers and masks, I find On1 does virtually everything I would have used PS for, so for me it replaces two programs.
They took the choice away of a stand-alone version,shame.would have been nice to have an option

Back