Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

Oh my... its a purple one... :banana:

Right, no slacking now, onward and upward. :D

I’ll not waste time then [emoji6]

I assume that you have worked through the night and that 'THE PURPLE ONE' is now complete :D

Oh my.... it may be the drink talking but that is bluddy gorgeous and Mulberry is a much better name than Purple. (y)(y)(y):D:D:D

Hi Steve, have you thought of putting the current specs into the first post? I'm looking at some longer lenses, and most of the Fujinon210+ lenses require a Copal 1 shutter, rather than the Copal 0 I'm getting (right for the shorter lens). But most lenses I see on fleabay come with a lens board. The question is, would they be compatible? But I can't answer the question as I can't find the bit where you specify what lens board yours is compatible with!

Hi Steve, have you thought of putting the current specs into the first post? I'm looking at some longer lenses, and most of the Fujinon210+ lenses require a Copal 1 shutter, rather than the Copal 0 I'm getting (right for the shorter lens). But most lenses I see on fleabay come with a lens board. The question is, would they be compatible? But I can't answer the question as I can't find the bit where you specify what lens board yours is compatible with!

Hi Chris. I’ll add a summary when I’m at my laptop later, but the Chroma can use any Linhof/Wista compatible lens board, along with its own acrylic board.

Hi Chris. I’ll add a summary when I’m at my laptop later, but the Chroma can use any Linhof/Wista compatible lens board, along with its own acrylic board.
Wista is probably the most common one I've seen, Thanks Steve.

Weight weenie question . Having decided to do a bit more camping/photography trips I've been weighing my gear with a view to not crippling my self.

My shen Hao weighs a relatively petite 2.7kg. Any savings to look forward too??

Weight weenie question . Having decided to do a bit more camping/photography trips I've been weighing my gear with a view to not crippling my self.

My shen Hao weighs a relatively petite 2.7kg. Any savings to look forward too??

Funnily enough, I weighed Mr Snap's Mulberry Edition this morning. Fully loaded with the ground glass etc it's 1.85Kg so you'll save yourself nearly 900g without giving up any of the movements :)

Funnily enough, I weighed Mr Snap's Mulberry Edition this morning. Fully loaded with the ground glass etc it's 1.85Kg so you'll save yourself nearly 900g without giving up any of the movements :)

Nice, nearly kilo and its not cost me a penny (from this quarters fiscal accounting). Tripod next I think...

My God these production run cameras are things of beauty... I know I've followed the thread from the start, and all your other stuff Steve, so it shouldn't be a surprise, but Chapeau Sir, Chapeau...

There are god only knows how many different Single Camera Specific "hardware" threads on this forum, and while I've posted in lots of them, it's pretty much always been in "mod mode" - i.e. i've been summoned to peace-keep - but this is the only one I can think of that actually makes me wish I had my photo-mojo still intact, and the money to buy one...

My God these production run cameras are things of beauty... I know I've followed the thread from the start, and all your other stuff Steve, so it shouldn't be a surprise, but Chapeau Sir, Chapeau...

There are god only knows how many different Single Camera Specific "hardware" threads on this forum, and while I've posted in lots of them, it's pretty much always been in "mod mode" - i.e. i've been summoned to peace-keep - but this is the only one I can think of that actually makes me wish I had my photo-mojo still intact, and the money to buy one...

Thanks a lot Mark, I really appreciate it. I'm made up with the final production Chroma and couldn't have got to it without all of the suggestions/advice/abuse(!) in this thread so thanks to everyone else too! Seeing a camera that I've designed/built from the ground up being used by other photographers is an awesome feeling and pretty addictive so I can see me doing this for a long time to come.

Hi @Andysnap and everyone else waiting for their Chromas. Just to give you a heads up, I'm going to hold back on shipping your camera for a week or so (sorry!) because I've decided to add a couple of extra stainless steel plates to the front/rear uprights as a precaution. I've now had messages from two users who have experienced cracks in one of the rear uprights on their cameras. To be fair, one was the result of a wasp attack and panicking to fold down the camera (!) and the other was like that on arrival in Portugal after it looked like Ronaldo had booted the box down the road to deliver it...However, I'm not completely happy that they both showed the same weakness, so I'd rather deal with it now for all cameras than risk other people being affected by it. It's not a major redesign or anything, just bonding a thin (0.5mm) stainless plate to each acrylic upright but I need to wait for the supplier to get the parts cut for me.

@StephenM and @Solo man I'm happy to retrofit the plates to your cameras too of course if you would like me to arrange a courier to collect it?

Sorry guys but you'll thank me in the end ;)

Aaaaghh!!!! :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Fair enough I suppose, I'll just have to play with my new underwater camera instead. :D

Don't worry mate, at least if you take it to Scotland you'll have a camera that's as bright as @RaglanSurf's Chroma!
I’m hoping to do some wildlife photography up in Scotland I’ve just bought full camouflage gear so I should blend nicely into the Scottish hills :D

While I’m waiting for my stainless plates to be cut, I built the first wet/dry plate holder up yesterday.

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

This is the first mule so is a bit rough! I’ve modified the shape now that I know it’s functionally fine to give it rounded corners and the door will also be secured with friction and integrated magnets (strong so it’s not going to open on its own!).

Also, I haven’t got a photo yet because it’s been persisting down whenever I’ve tried to get the tripod out(!), but I’ve also got a Chroma dark cloth mule here....I’ll give you a hint, you know those two mount point loops on the top of the main body, they’d be really useful for a dark cloth with a pair of integrated Velcro loops to secure to the camera and stop it flapping in the wind...

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

There are also Velcro tabs on the bottom corners at the front of the cloth so it can be fixed together underneath the camera to block light coming in from below too.

I need to have a test run with it to see if it’s large enough but that’s an easy enough change. It also needs a Chroma logo ;0)

Is this something that would be useful for anyone if I get a proper price from my sweat shop (mum!)?

Will it be showerproof and available in matching colours to the Chroma?

Interesting that it fixes onto the front standard; how does that go with operating the dark slide?

Interesting that it fixes onto the front standard; how does that go with operating the dark slide?

It's not fixed to the front standard, only through the loops built into the rear bellows plate. To remove the dark slide you just lift up the cloth as you would with any other (see picture 3 above). The only difference is that the cloth stays attached to the camera, ahead of the DDS holder.

Last edited:
When do you expect to have them finalised? I'm looking for a dark cloth but not still considering a light double skinned one from ebay like this.

Back