Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

When do you expect to have them finalised? I'm looking for a dark cloth but not still considering a light double skinned one from ebay like this.

I'm not 100% sure as yet, and my in-house seamstress is away for the next 2 weeks so it definitely won't be until after that. the black material I have here is a heavyweight cotton/nylon that I had for a portrait backdrop so I'd have to find a supplier for more of it. The outer layer could be standard rip-stop nylon as it's very light but comes in a whole range of colours. I'm also not sure on the cost as yet but I'd expect it to be around the same as the one you've linked to.

Dark cloths in past years were large soft double skinned satin or velvet like material. They were never attached to the camera, just draped.
They made excellent extra protection to the slides or camera/lenses when packed. The further back you go the larger they were.

Dark cloths in past years were large soft double skinned satin or velvet like material. They were never attached to the camera, just draped.
They made excellent extra protection to the slides or camera/lenses when packed. The further back you go the larger they were.

Thanks for the advice. Most dark cloths I've seen now (like one Steve linked to) have an elasticated front to secure them to the camera. The idea behind my design was to incorporate the mount points for the dark cloth, or a hand strap when moving between locations, into the camera itself which results in a simplified cloth. If the dark cloth is left attached to the camera it can do the same protective wrap duty.

Thanks for the advice. Most dark cloths I've seen now (like one Steve linked to) have an elasticated front to secure them to the camera. The idea behind my design was to incorporate the mount points for the dark cloth, or a hand strap when moving between locations, into the camera itself which results in a simplified cloth. If the dark cloth is left attached to the camera it can do the same protective wrap duty.

That I am sure will work very well. however it needs to be removable in windy conditions as they catch the wind and can shake and flip the camera and tripod. My last one was about 5 ft square and made an excellent wind brake when held out, to protect the camera during exposures.

That I am sure will work very well. however it needs to be removable in windy conditions as they catch the wind and can shake and flip the camera and tripod. My last one was about 5 ft square and made an excellent wind brake when held out, to protect the camera during exposures.

Thanks, good advice. The cloth is secured using two (optional) Velcro straps so can be disconnected from the camera and draped if the weather requires it.

'Puts on fact head'

Bulls are colour blind, it is no matter to them what colour cape/towel/sheet you wave at them they just dont like waving, it makes them think that you are a danger so they attack.

Still, a Spain meet would be good. :)

'Puts on fact head'

Bulls are colour blind, it is no matter to them what colour cape/towel/sheet you wave at them they just dont like waving, it makes them think that you are a danger so they attack.

Still, a Spain meet would be good. :)
I will be in Croatia tomorrow morning, the f and c section could pop over for a meet/shoot:p

Right, no more posts in here please. Ever time i see there's been a new post I get excited that the Mulberry is ready.....and then the disappointment when it's not. :D

Right, no more posts in here please. Ever time i see there's been a new post I get excited that the Mulberry is ready.....and then the disappointment when it's not. :D

Sorry bud. Your camera is ‘ready’ and sitting here on my bench. I’m now just waiting for the new stainless steel plates for the front/rear uprights before I ship it. I promise that it will go in the post as soon as it’s ready [emoji6]

Sorry bud. Your camera is ‘ready’ and sitting here on my bench. I’m now just waiting for the new stainless steel plates for the front/rear uprights before I ship it. I promise that it will go in the post as soon as it’s ready [emoji6]

Cheers mate, I know you are just making sure that everything thing is perfect and we all appreciate the time and effort you have put into the project.

But, please hurry up....... :D

Clearly not a bullock.

But he is not totally colour blind, just cant differentiate RED Green. but he does see in colour as do most animals.

But he is not happy when men in fancy suits wave gaily at him... It is just that he is not so much colour blind as very prejudiced.

Last edited:
He gave us a couple of looks then carried on munching. What you cant see is the handy gate just behind me!
He was in the same field as the footpath, just above Swinsty Reservoir.

He gave us a couple of looks then carried on munching. What you cant see is the handy gate just behind me!
He was in the same field as the footpath, just above Swinsty Reservoir.

Farmers are not supposed to have unrestrained bulls in fields with public footpaths.
Bulls are ALWAYS unpredictable, and need experienced handlers.

Farmers are not supposed to have unrestrained bulls in fields with public footpaths.

Totally agree, we entered the field downhill and couldn't see him until we were right on top of him.
We kept to the edge of the field and the small herd of cows in between him and us and made for the gate rather than the stile.
I have worked on a dairy farm and have 40+ years of walking experience behind me, so have a healthy respect for bulls!
Anyhow, this is about Steve's endeavors to supply you lot with your fabulous cameras, so apologies to him and back on subject!

Totally agree, we entered the field downhill and couldn't see him until we were right on top of him.
We kept to the edge of the field and the small herd of cows in between him and us and made for the gate rather than the stile.
I have worked on a dairy farm and have 40+ years of walking experience behind me, so have a healthy respect for bulls!
Anyhow, this is about Steve's endeavors to supply you lot with your fabulous cameras, so apologies to him and back on subject!

Absolutely... not sure he is interested in constructing bull proof cameras.

We're a bit OT here, but I've found many bulls in footpath fields, and believed it was not against the law (though I'm not comfortable with it; sister-in-law's sister was killed by a bull!). Found this at the Ramblers site::

"Section 59 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 bans the keeping of bulls in fields crossed by a right of way, unless they are under the age of 10 months or not of a recognised dairy breed, provided they’re accompanied by cows or heifers (young female cows). Recognised dairy breeds are Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry."

Blasted double negatives; I read that as:

a) bulls are allowed under the age of 10 months
b) non-dairy bulls are allowed with a herd
c) dairy bulls should not be in a field with a footpath.

The pic above looks like a Jersey or Guernsey to me, but I'm no expert!

Sorry, Steve, back to topic (perhaps)...

Continuing with the segway, I came across this the other day while out on travels . Apparently they keep bison and wild horses still trying to work out if this is compatible with Scottish access laws.

How to stop me... by Steven, on Flickr

Looking really good, I have enjoyed the updates! gutted I missed out on this tbh :(

Thanks. I'm not sure yet when I'll be in a position to take orders for 'release' Chromas but I'll met you know. I'm also currently working with Jason Lane (Pictoriographica - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Pictoriographica?ref=l2-shopheader-name) to finalise my double sided wet/dry plate holder. I received a printed version of the single plate holder yesterday and am really happy with the fit/finish so it's getting closer!

Oh my word, that's a beautiful thing.

I hope they aren't too attracted to each other, imagine what colour the baby Chromas would be. :D

OMG! :banana::banana::banana:

"Are they nearly there yet?"

Steve, this may seem like a daft question, but have you tried dropping a Chroma yet? I seem to be dropping a few cameras recently, luckily with no dire consequences since the disaster at Queensferry a year ago (dented a tripod leg, re-shaped a zoom lens so it didn't focus at infinity, and smashed the finder on a Pentax LX... :( )

Steve, this may seem like a daft question, but have you tried dropping a Chroma yet? I seem to be dropping a few cameras recently, luckily with no dire consequences since the disaster at Queensferry a year ago (dented a tripod leg, re-shaped a zoom lens so it didn't focus at infinity, and smashed the finder on a Pentax LX... :( )

Erm, I haven’t done any heavyweight drop tests (mainly because I’m hoping everyone remembers to not drop them!) but the uprated stainless steel plates on the front/rear uprights now mean that the original weakest parts are considerably stronger now.

I guess you’re less likely to be carrying your Chroma on a neck strap like your Pentax gear but just make sure you’ve secured the tripod head before waking away [emoji6]

I had a bit of a discussion with a guy on facespace about the likelihood of the chroma surviving a drop and came to the conclusion that I don’t think any of my large format cameras, or anybody’s for that matter, would cope too well being dashed to the ground. Obviously only time will, we just need some sort of clumsy oaf to forget they’ve still got the cable release in their hand when they walk off or a sharp gust of wind to catch it broadside.

Back