Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

I had a bit of a discussion with a guy on facespace about the likelihood of the chroma surviving a drop and came to the conclusion that I don’t think any of my large format cameras, or anybody’s for that matter, would cope too well being dashed to the ground. Obviously only time will, we just need some sort of clumsy oaf to forget they’ve still got the cable release in their hand when they walk off or a sharp gust of wind to catch it broadside.

I think any camera carries a certain risk of damage if it's dropped from a tripod so I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some damage to a Chroma too. However, one of the benefits of my modular build is I can disassemble the camera and replace any damaged pieces without to much hassle.

I think any camera carries a certain risk of damage if it's dropped from a tripod so I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some damage to a Chroma too. However, one of the benefits of my modular build is I can disassemble the camera and replace any damaged pieces without to much hassle.

Thanks Steve. I just started to worry that maybe the plastic/acrylic was more likely to shatter than (say) plywood ( ;) ).

My bad drop happened moving up a beach in gathering gloom, slipped on some wet rocks while using the extended tripod (with camera attached as a walking pole). I don't think I'm likely todo quite that with a Chroma, but there are clearly risks to moving it from A to B, and temptations to do so given the faff of unmounting/remounting. The most recent drops came when the camera has fallen out of the Arca Swiss clamp while at a steep angle. The plates I have don't grip as well as the Manfrotto RC2 plates used to. Again, rather less likely with Chroma.

I had a bit of a discussion with a guy on facespace about the likelihood of the chroma surviving a drop and came to the conclusion that I don’t think any of my large format cameras, or anybody’s for that matter, would cope too well being dashed to the ground. Obviously only time will, we just need some sort of clumsy oaf to forget they’ve still got the cable release in their hand when they walk off or a sharp gust of wind to catch it broadside.

I'll volunteer for that please!

I have had my tripod (with Walker Titan attached) fall over while I was packing down. It came to no harm. On a related note, see here. Middle paragraph in the text that lies between the photo of camera with 75mm lens and the photo of the 180mm lens in a lensboard.

So, here it is, my first(ish) image taken with the Chroma. Hoping to get chance to head outdoors with it this week and do some more test shots, and hopefully not testing how it copes when dropped!

View media item 13320

That's a great use of the Chroma John, thanks for sharing it. I hear there's a first look article coming to Emulsive in about 3 hours.....exciting :)

I have had my tripod (with Walker Titan attached) fall over while I was packing down. It came to no harm. On a related note, see here. Middle paragraph in the text that lies between the photo of camera with 75mm lens and the photo of the 180mm lens in a lensboard.

If anyone chooses to throw their Chroma down a hill and into a river.....take a photo of it please ;)

If anyone chooses to throw their Chroma down a hill and into a river.....take a photo of it please ;)

Hell fire! Does it float too?

Don't tell me, you haven't tried it..........yet.

Last edited:
I thought they only came with the Yellow (submarine) model...

Fantastic review! I bet you're chuffed :)
It takes me a while to 'bond' with my equipment, but it literally took a couple of hours before I felt comfortable with it. And that's all down to Steve's design...

I’m made up [emoji1303]. It only cost me a few hundred quid to get John to write it too [emoji6]
I'll waver my 'fee' in exchange for prototyping of an 8x10 Chroma errr.... Instax Wide back ;):):banana:

It takes me a while to 'bond' with my equipment, but it literally took a couple of hours before I felt comfortable with it. And that's all down to Steve's design...

I'll waver my 'fee' in exchange for prototyping of an 8x10 Chroma errr.... Instax Wide back ;):):banana:

I’m genuinely made up that you find the design so easy to get along with. Having gone through at least 6 major revisions and no idea how many ‘fiddles’ to get where it is now it means a lot that I was on the right track.

Stop giving me ideas about 8x10, I’ll leave that up to Max at Intrepid for now. As for the additional backs/holders, let’s see what comes next :0)

Stearman Press (from an email I just had) seem to be looking into using a laser the focus in the dark. Possibly this is in mind.

Beat me to it.

Would it be better with an LED rather than a laser to help focusing at night? I’m not sure what help the laser point dot would give as such a small point on a ground glass?

Led wouldn't be bright enough depending on the distance (or the size of emitter array and batteries) but you should be able to see a laser spot a fair distance away even on the gg.

Led wouldn't be bright enough depending on the distance (or the size of emitter array and batteries) but you should be able to see a laser spot a fair distance away even on the gg.

Fair point. If there was a laser pointer in mind, it might better to cut an actual ring for it that mounts to the rear standard rather than using a cold shoe.

Hi Steve, a quick question. I have noticed that when I mount a lens using my lensboards, Wista mainly, they are a little loose compared to the one you have supplied and I'm a bit concerned that this may cause focussing issues.
I don't want to have to swap my lenses into the Chroma board every time as it is obviously a bit of a pain to do so do you think that if I pop a little piece of light seal foam into the Chroma to hold the lensboards stable that this will affect things?
Cheers

Andy

My lens is in a Wista board. I don't have another system, so obviously I can change it... if anyone's bringing a lens spanner! (I looked these up and the ones I saw look like something from the Inquisition!)

Hi Steve, a quick question. I have noticed that when I mount a lens using my lensboards, Wista mainly, they are a little loose compared to the one you have supplied and I'm a bit concerned that this may cause focussing issues.
I don't want to have to swap my lenses into the Chroma board every time as it is obviously a bit of a pain to do so do you think that if I pop a little piece of light seal foam into the Chroma to hold the lensboards stable that this will affect things?
Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy. I've got a metal linhof board here that I've used for testing and it seemed tight (without a lens)? If it's noticeably loose due to a difference in thickness, I think it would be best to just cut a frame out of light seal foam (or card, whatever is the right thickness) and use it as a shim when you want to mount a non-Chroma board. If you stick something to the Chroma you're going to have issues fitting the original lens board.

Hi Andy. I've got a metal linhof board here that I've used for testing and it seemed tight (without a lens)? If it's noticeably loose due to a difference in thickness, I think it would be best to just cut a frame out of light seal foam (or card, whatever is the right thickness) and use it as a shim when you want to mount a non-Chroma board. If you stick something to the Chroma you're going to have issues fitting the original lens board.

Good point, I've got some sheets of thin foam which should do it. (y)

My lens is in a Wista board. I don't have another system, so obviously I can change it... if anyone's bringing a lens spanner! (I looked these up and the ones I saw look like something from the Inquisition!)

I'm bringing mine. It's a nice simple pentangular sheet of metal, non adjustable so I can't get it wrong :D

Back