Chroma SnapShot

Thats a good write up. Its a nice looking bit of kit its bad that I'm tempted by it but would probably never use it. I hardly do any streety/travely on the go type photography this would be good for.

I keep getting drawn to it tbh.
Focusing using hyperfocal distance wouldn’t pose me too much of on issue I don’t think.
Similarly even without using some sort of viewfinder, being able to judge the angle of view of a lens, and thus visualise what would be included in the scene is reasonably easy to learn and adopt.

Do I need yet another 5x4 outfit, that is the question. [emoji848]

Do I need yet another 5x4 outfit, that is the question.
emoji848.png

YES! That is the answer!!! Carpe diem and all that. At a guess, you have a lens or more that will sit nicely on it so other than the £175 (according to https://chroma.camera/snapshot/) this weekend special price, there isn't any reason not to. (Steve, commission can be donated to a charity of your choice!)

YES! That is the answer!!! Would you like me to buy it for you as an "Anti boredorm" present whilst locked down during these difficult times??

Oh yes please, in black :exit::exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cheaper than a nice bottle of Cognac!

Do I need yet another 5x4 outfit, that is the question.

If the question is 5x4, the answer is 20. So, do you have 20 5x4 cameras? :)

If the question is 5x4, the answer is 20. So, do you have 20 5x4 cameras? :)
if i count what i possess along with those that i can borrow globally ;) then it possibly does exceed 20

Waiting for a mirror shot of it...

Asha with his shiny new black SnapShot reflected in a shop window. :p

Not least because that would mean we're out of lockdown (or that France is, anyway!)

Ahhh, my eyes, they burn :D

Very nice Steve, I may be tempted in the future (y)

I’ve added both the Technical and Classic Edition SnapShots to my website shop today, ahead of the Virtual Photography Show this Sunday/Monday.

This is the Technical SnapShot;

img_5700.jpeg

img_5701.jpeg

It has 15mm of Rise, along with 15mm of Shift, on the front standard for more creative control.

This is my new “Classic Edition”, which has real wood filament for the printed body, ground glass frame and grips, along with a laser engraved ground glass and front technical movements;

dsc03457.jpg

dsc03410.jpg

snapshot classic1-3.jpg

Both models are available here;

https://chroma.camera/product-category/cameras/

During the FREE Virtual Photography Show, there will be a whole host of analogue community people available online to catch up and ask any questions you might have.

Throughout the show, I’ll have a 5% discount off anything in my shop, using code TPS20 [emoji1303]

Ooh you are a tease.........I need to shift that 75mm schneider that I have advertised before I think about how it might be ideal for a wooden snapshot! :runaway::LOL:

Steve- thanks for this thread. I might be one of your target customers for this product as I am a 35mm and medium format photographer who's fascinated by LF but has never made the 'jump'.

Where can I find more info about this product? Are there any sample shots anywhere? Apart from the initial investment in the camera, what else would one need to buy to get going. I would imagine at least the following:

1- lens?
2- lens board compatible with camera and chosen lens?
3- film holders
4- sheet film
5- 5x4-compatible developing tank
6- my Epson V550 would need to be updated to a V700/750/800/850 to cope with the size of the negative

Anything else? I already own a sturdy tripod, a cable release, an 8x loupe.

Is the above enough or there's more? If so, where can I find a list of say compatible accessories - it would be good to have a 'how-to' list to get people started, especially if you want to target young hipsters ;) like me who have never even seen a real 5x4 in the flesh :)

Also, what are the main compromises one would have to deal with when choosing one of these rather than one of your Chroma or an Intrepid or an older wooden camera off ebay - I'd imagine the movements? Not fussed about those atm. Anything else?

Given say, equal lens, equal film and equal tripod - would this camera be able to achieve similar sharpness and tonality than a classic 5x4 camera or are there inherent compromises?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve- thanks for this thread. I might be one of your target customers for this product as I am a 35mm and medium format photographer who's fascinated by LF but has never made the 'jump'.

Where can I find more info about this product? Are there any sample shots anywhere? Apart from the initial investment in the camera, what else would one need to buy to get going. I would imagine at least the following:

1- lens?
2- lens board compatible with camera and chosen lens?
3- film holders
4- sheet film
5- 5x4-compatible developing tank
6- my Epson V550 would need to be updated to a V700/750/800/850 to cope with the size of the negative

Anything else? I already own a sturdy tripod, a cable release, an 8x loupe.

Is the above enough or there's more? If so, where can I find a list of say compatible accessories - it would be good to have a 'how-to' list to get people started, especially if you want to target young hipsters ;) like me who have never even seen a real 5x4 in the flesh :)

Also, what are the main compromises one would have to deal with when choosing one of these rather than one of your Chroma or an Intrepid or an older wooden camera off ebay - I'd imagine the movements? Not fussed about those atm. Anything else?

Given say, equal lens, equal film and equal tripod - would this camera be able to achieve similar sharpness and tonality than a classic 5x4 camera or are there inherent compromises?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi, I’m glad you like the look of it, thanks.

I’m in the workshop at the moment (as ever!) so will do my best with the details!

All large format cameras are essentially a box with a lens at one end and film at the other. My traditional field cameras (Carbon Adventurer and Advanced45) offer a range of movements on both the front and rear standards, but are heavier and require the use of a tripod. In contrast, the SnapShot is designed as a walkabout “point and shoot” large format camera, which can also be used on a tripod if you want to. My new Technical and Classic versions also have a small amount of rise/shift on the front standard.

Weighing only 600g, with lens board and ground glass, the SnapShot can be worn over your shoulder with a basic camera strap (I use the one from my Sony A7) and used very easily. As it has the same rear body design as my other two cameras, it’s compatible with any large format film holders, including 4x5 sheet, Polaroid, 120 rollfilm (6x45 - 6x17), my ChromaGraphica dry plate and my Chroma wet plate. I’m also due to receive a prototype LomoGrafok Instax Wide back in mid-October and can’t wait to try it out on my SnapShot as the perfect Instax Wide option with good lenses!

I’ve just had some Velvia50 sheets developed, that I shot with my SnapShot and Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 last week, on and around an 80m high waterfall. I’ll get them scanned as soon as I can and upload them here.

With regards to what you will need to add to a basic SnapShot, this is;

A lens - Any lens from 47-210mm will work with a SnapShot, so long as the rear element is narrower than 64mm diameter, so it can fit through the helicoid. Personally, I really like wider lenses as they’re more compact on the camera.

A film holder/film - Whatever takes your fancy really. A standard basic double sided sheet film holder, or “DDS”, is a nice lightweight option, although you will need multiple holders for more than 2 shots at a time. I also use a Grafmatic, which is what old press photographers used to use, which can be Pre-loaded with 6 sheets that you cycle through in the field. They’re around 60 years old now, so look out for a good condition one on EBay etc.

Development equipment, if you want to do it yourself. I use a Stearman Press SP-445 tank and find it’s a really good option for developing up to 4 sheets at a time.

Scanner - You can scan 4x5 on you V500, but will need to scan the sheet in two halves then merge them afterwards. Alternatively, you could use a Pixl-Latr (Pixl-latr.com), which is a very simple click together frame which is used to keep your film flat and has a diffuser panel behind to spread light evenly. You can then sit this straight on a light box and use a copy stand with a digital camera to digitise the film. I’ve also recently released a mounting system to use a large format field camera as a copy stand, but you’d need a large format field camera to use that :0)

All SnapShots come with one lens board (according to the size you require), and additional boards can be purchased separately to allow you to switch lenses without having to remove them from the board.

Essentially, if you bought a SnapShot, the bare minimum you would need to get started would be a lens, film holder and remote release cable [emoji1303]

I hope this covers everything? Let me know if I can add any more. Cheers

I keep coming back to your lens myself :0) Maybe we could work out a swap? (Keeping it in your sale thread [emoji1303])

This is the future of brexit Britain then? Straight up barter for goods. I have a load of potato's I'll trade for a camera @stevelmx5, @Asha will have to be our go between for film stock.

This is the future of brexit Britain then? Straight up barter for goods. I have a load of potato's I'll trade for a camera @stevelmx5, @Asha will have to be our go between for film stock.

Spuds! Pmsl

Keep me going in tatties for a 12 month and I might consider a straight swap of a 135mn convertible lol

Brexit??...... what’s that? ..... is this something I’ve missed?!! Pmsl

Just a quick heads up. If anyone is considering buying a SnapShot Classic Edition, Real Camera Company (Liverpool branch) have one in stock, ready to ship [emoji6]

Adjustments.JPG

It’s setup with a Copal 0 lens board and 40mm spacers, ready to take a Schneider 90/6.8, but I can supply additional lens boards and spacers as required.

dsc03662.jpg

dsc03599.jpg

dsc03611.jpg

As it’s a Classic Edition, it comes with both the technical front mount (15mm rise/shift) and laser engraved ground glass as standard [emoji1303]

Just a quick heads up. If anyone is considering buying a SnapShot Classic Edition, Real Camera Company (Liverpool branch) have one in stock, ready to ship [emoji6]

View attachment 293604

It’s setup with a Copal 0 lens board and 40mm spacers, ready to take a Schneider 90/6.8, but I can supply additional lens boards and spacers as required.

View attachment 293605

View attachment 293606

View attachment 293607

As it’s a Classic Edition, it comes with both the technical front mount (15mm rise/shift) and laser engraved ground glass as standard [emoji1303]

:runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

You've given MY Snapshot away! :sulk:

:bat::LOL::LOL:

I promise that isn’t your SnapShot [emoji23] Yours should be in the post tomorrow.

Have you got a spare ground glass wrapped ready to send?

Asha's postmen tend to break them.... :)

He'll be wanting a packet of Dreamies for his cats on the deal next! ;)

PS Don't, as I'm not sure sending cat food through the post to France is allowed, and I don't want the blame for an impounded Snapshot!

Last edited:
We’re happy to let you know that the shipment $¥%#^*+£$, containing 1 item, is due to be dispatched on 28/09/2020 by the courier Parcelforce.

Contents Weight Dimensions

Acrylic Camera 1kg 26cm x 17cm x 10cm and TWO LIVE MICE :p

:banana::banana::banana:

I’ve just built up my own SnapShot “WideFlex”, which is a fixed body (no bellows) with rise/shift, to mount my Schneider Super Angulon 47/5.6 MC;

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

The main body and Helicoid plate are 3mm carbon fibre.

My MC lens doesn’t fully cover 4x5 without a vignette, so I’ll be using my Toyo 6x9 rollfilm back with this.

From memory, someone makes a point and shoot 10x8.

On the idea of a 12x16, think of the size and weight of lens required.

Back