Chroma SnapShot

From memory, someone makes a point and shoot 10x8.

On the idea of a 12x16, think of the size and weight of lens required.

There's a similar 3D printed camera, called the WillTravel, which goes up to 8x10. I'm jus not convinced there's enough interest/demand for such a large handheld camera :0)

I just checked. Gaoersi, 10x8, Catlabs, $2,698, sold out.

Or, they’ve only ever made one, and sold it, and now don’t want to make any more (y)

Hmm, if so then limited production, like the Gowlandflex 10x8 TLR of which 7 were made.

There you are then. A high end designer market - just crying out for a tartan or candystriped 10x8 snapshot camera. All that remains to capture the Lomography market as well is a lens 3D printed using transparent plastic (or whatever it is). There may even be a market for plastic lenses so that all LF cameras could produce LoFi pics.... :)

Returning ( briefly so as not to distract Steve's inventive mind from SLFSnapshots ( Super Large Format ;) ), I wish to inform those who may be interested ( so i guess no one :p) that my Classic 'miniature'5x4 format Snapshot now sports a Grafmatic , six septum film holder! :woot:

Hi Steve

Love the Snap Shot and will be going on my Santa list.

I have one question and apologies if its been asked before, but do you think it can/could be set up to shoot panoramic style shots with say using a Toyo 69/45 back and correct lens combination?

Would it require a funnel type lens adapter rather than the bellows arrangement to get panoramic image into the film or would it require a special "wider" body to accommodate?

Its a itch I want to scratch, but don't have deep pockets for the likes of a Fuji 617 or similar.

Anthony

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Love the Snap Shot and will be going on my Santa list.

I have one question and apologies if its been asked before, but do you think it can/could be set up to shoot panoramic style shots with say using a Toyo 69/45 back and correct lens combination?

Would it require a funnel type lens adapter rather than the bellows arrangement to get panoramic image into the film or would it require a special "wider" body to accommodate?

Its a itch I want to scratch, but don't have deep pockets for the likes of a Fuji 617 or similar.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I’m glad you like it, and look forward to building one for you [emoji1303]

With regards to panoramas, that’s a result of the film holder/format more than the camera itself. If you mount a standard 4x5 compatible 617 rollfilm back onto a SnapShot, you will then get panoramic format images, with whichever lens you mount.

However, if you wanted to go really wide, I’ve just built up my own “WideFlex” SnapShot, which uses a Schneider Super Angulon 47/5.6, and has the same rise/shift as my Technical and Classic models.

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

As soon as I can get the new product photos taken, I’ll be adding this model to my website [emoji1303]

Last edited:
Ok here's what I want and I don't know if it already exists (unlikely) or if its even doable. A 6 x 12 camera, small as possible, light as possible with a 6 x 12 viewfinder (found one at Mr Cad (y)) no messing about with GG screens, and a great lens possibly large format. Now am I right in thinking that what you've described above is some of this?
The thing is I'm becoming increasingly aware that large format is not for me. Its too bulky and faffy and I have not managed to develop a sheet for ages that isn't a mess one way or another, also its getting prohibitively expensive. I have a Voigtlander Bessa 1 and the quality of the shots I'm getting from it are indistinguishable from my LF stuff, I'm not intending to print any posters so LF seems to be just a way of getting funny looks without any great reward.

Ok here's what I want and I don't know if it already exists (unlikely) or if its even doable. A 6 x 12 camera, small as possible, light as possible with a 6 x 12 viewfinder (found one at Mr Cad (y)) no messing about with GG screens, and a great lens possibly large format. Now am I right in thinking that what you've described above is some of this?
The thing is I'm becoming increasingly aware that large format is not for me. Its too bulky and faffy and I have not managed to develop a sheet for ages that isn't a mess one way or another, also its getting prohibitively expensive. I have a Voigtlander Bessa 1 and the quality of the shots I'm getting from it are indistinguishable from my LF stuff, I'm not intending to print any posters so LF seems to be just a way of getting funny looks without any great reward.

Ok, there are two ways to get this;

1) SnapShot with existing 6x12 rollfilm back and suitable LF lens.

Pros -

Available “off the shelf” today.
Lightweight, compared to LF gear (600g plus lens/rollfilm back.
Can be carried with a simple neck strap.
Offers flexibility for those times you want to shoot sheet film/Polaroid/Plate etc
Three cold shoes for viewfinder/rangefinder/meter etc
Range of lenses available

Cons -

Always going to be larger than your Bessa.

2) New medium format system, with 6x12 rollfilm back and LF lens.

Pros -

Smaller than SnapShot
Lighter than SnapShot
Flexibility to use range of existing medium format rollfilm backs

Cons -

I haven’t designed it yet! (To fit with a 6x12 back).
Not able to shoot larger formats with it.
Less flexible for longer lenses than a SnapShot

Either option with be much smaller than a field camera, and less likely to get you funny looks [emoji6]

I can manage funny looks without the camera. :)

1 sounds like the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

Thanks Steve I'll give it some thought.

I'm

Thanks Anthony, I’m glad you like it, and look forward to building one for you [emoji1303]

With regards to panoramas, that’s a result of the film holder/format more than the camera itself. If you mount a standard 4x5 compatible 617 rollfilm back onto a SnapShot, you will then get panoramic format images, with whichever lens you mount.

However, if you wanted to go really wide, I’ve just built up my own “WideFlex” SnapShot, which uses a Schneider Super Angulon 47/5.6, and has the same rise/shift as my Technical and Classic models.

View attachment 295751

View attachment 295752

View attachment 295753

As soon as I can get the new product photos taken, I’ll be adding this model to my website [emoji1303]
Steve, somehow my mind can't quite reconcile the first and third of those photos! Does the back fold up somehow?

Ok, there are two ways to get this;

1) SnapShot with existing 6x12 rollfilm back and suitable LF lens.

Pros -

Available “off the shelf” today.
Lightweight, compared to LF gear (600g plus lens/rollfilm back.
Can be carried with a simple neck strap.
Offers flexibility for those times you want to shoot sheet film/Polaroid/Plate etc
Three cold shoes for viewfinder/rangefinder/meter etc
Range of lenses available

Cons -

Always going to be larger than your Bessa.

2) New medium format system, with 6x12 rollfilm back and LF lens.

Pros -

Smaller than SnapShot
Lighter than SnapShot
Flexibility to use range of existing medium format rollfilm backs

Cons -

I haven’t designed it yet! (To fit with a 6x12 back).
Not able to shoot larger formats with it.
Less flexible for longer lenses than a SnapShot

Either option with be much smaller than a field camera, and less likely to get you funny looks [emoji6]
I like #1 too, though I haven't priced up a 6x12 back yet (or indeed, a Snapshot!). Although for some daft reason I'm drawn towards 6x17... There was a camera mentioned in @srichards MF pano thread with a name like Maverick, Majestic or something (!) that got me very interested, back included and could use my lens....

I like #1 too, though I haven't priced up a 6x12 back yet (or indeed, a Snapshot!). Although for some daft reason I'm drawn towards 6x17... There was a camera mentioned in @srichards MF pano thread with a name like Maverick, Majestic or something (!) that got me very interested, back included and could use my lens....

Malefic [emoji6] Although, the last time I saw, the guy who designed them was trying to sell his business as a going concern.

Last edited:
It's just that in the first (IMG_6604) the distance from the grip to the other end of the camera looks much less than in the last (IMG_6610)... Maybe the first doesn't have the back attached? Or a different back?

It's just that in the first (IMG_6604) the distance from the grip to the other end of the camera looks much less than in the last (IMG_6610)... Maybe the first doesn't have the back attached? Or a different back?

Nope, definitely the same setup. There isn’t a DDS or rollfilm back mounted in either image, it’s only the spring mounted ground glass frame.

All three photos were taken using my iPhone in one hand, and the SnapShot in the other, so it’s probably just some questionable distortion.

Steve, do you have a photo of the setup you described to fulfil my ridiculously pedantic needs, ie option 1?

Steve, have your received my pm concerning additional spacer bars for my snapshot?

QUOTE="stevelmx5, post: 8809024, member: 6265"]Morning mate. Sorry for the delayed reply, I did get it though. I had a (rare) weekend off my emails but will get back to you ASAP.[/QUOTE]
How dare you take a weekend off without permission :bat::p

No worries Steve, I await your reply , prioritised over @Andysnap as he is ummin ‘n’ arfghin over wether to pack up his LF kit .... Wuss that he is :exit::LOL:

Last edited:
@stevelmx5 Would this one fit on the Snapshot Steve?

Yep, perfect fit [emoji1303]

Luvverly...thanks very much.

So, in summation, a large format lens, a Chroma Snapshot, a 6x12 viewfinder and a 6x12 back and I'm good to go for both panoramic shots and, if I wish, 5x4 shots as well.

So, in summation, a large format lens, a Chroma Snapshot, a 6x12 viewfinder and a 6x12 back and I'm good to go for both panoramic shots and, if I wish, 5x4 shots as well.

I had one of those backs Andy, not Shen Hao, another make iirc ( its quite a while ago),
Just be aware that they are quite a heavy lump( or at the one that i had was)

I had one of those backs Andy, not Shen Hao, another make iirc ( its quite a while ago),
Just be aware that they are quite a heavy lump( or at the one that i had was)

I suspected as much but I am not too bothered as it's not going to be lugged far and wide on a long walk just for special shots where I will be close to the car.

I use my Toyo 6x9 rollfilm back on my SnapShot, that thing is a proper tank! I think the Shen Hao back, or Wista/Graflex style backs would be a more compact option.

When I eventually get some more free time (!) I need to finish off the design for my own 6x12-6x17 rollfilm back, but that’s going to be a little while yet.

@stevelmx5

Steve, would a 90mm lens work with the snapshot and a 6 X 12 back or would something wider be better?

Back