ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holders - Kickstarter Campaign

OP
OP
stevelmx5
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Now repeat after me. I will not add barely achievable stretch goals and set the whole project back 12m, I will not change design two weeks into production etc etc:)
Yup, there are definitely no stretch goals :0) The design is also 99% complete, pending CNC prototypes from the manufacturer (we already have several printed versions), which will give us more time to deal with any issues with the moulds themselves before manufacturing begins.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Yup, there are definitely no stretch goals :0) The design is also 99% complete, pending CNC prototypes from the manufacturer (we already have several printed versions), which will give us more time to deal with any issues with the moulds themselves before manufacturing begins.
Good man.

OP
OP
stevelmx5
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Well, in case anyone has missed it, we've only gone and done it!

I had a call last night with Jason and his colleague who has come on board to help with the moulding design (as that's his day job!) and working with the manufacturer. The 4x5 holder design is almost complete after we came up with a slightly different way to mould it, which will give us more flexibility in making future dedicated sheet film holders without having to re-tool entirely. The 5x7 design is around 90% complete, and the 8x10 model will be completed by this weekend which means we're not a million miles off getting some prototype holders machined to test the handling properly.

All in all it's looking good so far and I'll post some more updates as soon as we have the finished models.

OP
OP
stevelmx5
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
For anyone that hasn’t seen the campaign update from Jason today, we received photos of the prototype parts from China today. These have been CNC machined from ABS, rather than moulded, and will be sent to myself and Jason to assemble, and make sure everything goes together as planned.

IMG_1931.JPG

Apart from machining twice as many centre plates as we need for 2 holders(!), these components make up two double sided 4x5 dry plate holders.

I particularly like the look of our combined branding on each side of the holders

IMG_1930.JPG

Now I need to be patient and wait for the parts to arrive, assemble the holder, video the steps to do that, check that the final unit works as deigned then give the go ahead for the injection moulds to be machined...not much work to go then! Oh, I also need to design the new packaging and work with a couple of manufacturers to cost the reducing adaptor plates for each size holder. Other than that, just chilling

OP
OP
stevelmx5
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I haven't posted an update to this thread for a bit. Latest status is that the 8 aluminium moulds are being CNC'd (as of last week), with a provisional estimate of having a moulded prototype 4x5 holder by the second week of January. Once the moulded parts are all signed off, I then need to record an assembly video, along with the likelihood of several FaceTime calls with the manufacturer, to make sure they're completely ready to begin large scale assembly.

At the same time, I'm working on the packaging design for all 3 holders. We're keeping the packaging simple with an 18% grey main colour and simple black images/text. I don't have any designs to share yet but should have something by the end of the week.

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
What's a Chroma with no colour???? Maybe the dark slides could be in Chroma colours? ;)

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Am I the only one who thinks Cluedo when purple is mentioned? Professor Plum in the Darkroom with a Lens Spanner.

Anyway, well done so far, but try to enjoy Christmas and the New Year as a holiday.

OP
OP
stevelmx5
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Am I the only one who thinks Cluedo when purple is mentioned? Professor Plum in the Darkroom with a Lens Spanner.

Anyway, well done so far, but try to enjoy Christmas and the New Year as a holiday.
Cheers Stephen. I’ve been enjoying Christmas with my family at the same time as I’ve had the printers running to print both Chroma 4x5 components and Snapshot prototypes so I’ve been able to do both.