ChromaGraphica Double Dry Plate holders - Kickstarter Campaign

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all. Sorry I’m not as active on here as I used to be, I’m up to my elbows in Chroma’s, getting the remaining backer cameras out!

However, in my non-workshop time (also known as, “the time most people sleep”!), I’ve been working with Jason Lane from Pictoriographica in New Hampshire to design and develop a set of brand new double dry plate holders, and we’re now pretty much ready to launch the Kickstarter campaign to fund the (eye wateringly expensive) injection moulding of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 holders [emoji1303]

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

I filmed my section of the campaign video the other day and still much prefer being behind the camera than in in front of it [emoji6] These are some of the Pre-production designs I’ve built since last September, up to the finalised parts that will be moulded.

Our priorities for the holders has always been quality, affordability and usability, and I’m confident that my design fits those. We’re going with injection moulding to reduce the manufacturing cost, hence the crowdfunding, so all three holders will definitely be affordable. The holders can also be used for standard sheet film which makes them dual purpose, which is another benefit.

Once we’ve finalised the reward levels for the campaign I’ll share some more details here. Just wanted to say hello and give everyone the heads up.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Presumably, like "standard holders ( TOYO, Fidelity etc) fit and function fine in the Chroma, these Chroma holders will work in other brands of camera?

Depending on price, I may be interested in trying one out;)

I'd make a guess that either they will, or young Steve is going to surprise us all with his new range of multicolour 5x7 and 10x8 Chromas...

Presumably, like "standard holders ( TOYO, Fidelity etc) fit and function fine in the Chroma, these Chroma holders will work in other brands of camera?

Depending on price, I may be interested in trying one out;)

Yup, they’re designed around ANSI standard holders so can be used in any camera, not just Chroma’s [emoji1303]

Cheers

Yeah, there’s no 5x7 or 8x10 Chroma on the horizon [emoji23]

Would you mind awfully climbing a little higher and looking again?

:D

Would you mind awfully climbing a little higher and looking again?

:D

Stop giving me ideas
emoji23.png

Iknow Steve, he keeps giving you ideas that keep you busy and he gives me ideas that ensure that I'm always skint!
We could both do to pay him a visit :bat::LOL:

Iknow Steve, he keeps giving you ideas that keep you busy and he gives me ideas that ensure that I'm always skint!
We could both do to pay him a visit :bat::LOL:

Tell me about it! I’ve got my workshop time dedicated to building Chroma’s, and have enough work in the pipeline with the KS campaign (although I won’t be building any of the holders!). The last thing I need is more ideas being put into my head [emoji6]

The last thing I need is more ideas being put into my head

Well as you mention ideas, how about some sort of holder for the film holders so they can be slotted in to like a bookshelf arrangement, perhaps with some sort of "catch" which can be flipped ( colour coded black or white) to show at a glance which film holders are loaded with film without having to physically check the darkslides of each one.

Probably a dumb idea but it would keep you occupied and maybe now offer you sleepless nights considering it! :exit::LOL:

Well as you mention ideas, how about some sort of holder for the film holders so they can be slotted in to like a bookshelf arrangement, perhaps with some sort of "catch" which can be flipped ( colour coded black or white) to show at a glance which film holders are loaded with film without having to physically check the darkslides of each one.

Probably a dumb idea but it would keep you occupied and maybe now offer you sleepless nights considering it! :exit::LOL:

These holders have already got an indicator plate built in so you know immediately if there’s a plate loaded because you can’t push the indicator plate in [emoji6]

DSC00092.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

The indicator plate is then also used to eject the glass plate after you’ve exposed it, so you don’t get any fingerprints on the emulsion.

Attachments

• DSC00092.JPG
    DSC00092.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 6
Just had a look, and posted the first question...

Definitely interested, particularly in the 5x7 option if I can use it for film since 5x7 holders seem to be unavailable new and rare secondhand. OK, I don't have a 5x7 camera yet...

Just had a look, and posted the first question...

Definitely interested, particularly in the 5x7 option if I can use it for film since 5x7 holders seem to be unavailable new and rare secondhand. OK, I don't have a 5x7 camera yet...

They have been designed to take standard/existing sheet film sheaths so a 5x7 adaptor will work with the holder. I'm also talking with Jason about a stretch goal of supplying new adaptors for sheet film.

Never having looked at dry plate before, I'm in the dark about the technicalities. Are film sheaths easy to buy, or will it be like sourcing dark slides in unpopular sizes? If the campaign included new adaptors, I'm definitely in for some, probably in all three sizes.

They have been designed to take standard/existing sheet film sheaths so a 5x7 adaptor will work with the holder. I'm also talking with Jason about a stretch goal of supplying new adaptors for sheet film.

It appears what @StephenM needs is a one-off 5x7 Chroma first... ;)

Never having looked at dry plate before, I'm in the dark about the technicalities. Are film sheaths easy to buy, or will it be like sourcing dark slides in unpopular sizes? If the campaign included new adaptors, I'm definitely in for some, probably in all three sizes.

For the technicalities of dry plate I'd refer you to Jason, I'm just the designer ;)

https://www.pictoriographica.com/technicals-and-tips.html

With regards to sheaths, I'll check with Jason but it is likely a case of sourcing them online. As for our own adaptors, I'll keep you updated.

Or I buy a camera that will take a 5x7 back - quite a few 5x4 cameras do. Or get a reducing back for a 10x8. There are always solutions (if you can only get the solvents).

How about a magnetic 5x7 back for the existing 4x5 Chroma instead? ;)

Any problems with the light path, given that the bellows are fixed to a frame designed for 5x4?

Sorry, it's easier to ask direct than get out the Chroma and a tape measure....

Last edited:
On line sourcing seems to be pointing up a couple of ebay sites and a lot of discussion groups about them. I'm forming the idea that they aren't simple to come by.

Any problems with the light path, given that the bellows are fixed to a frame designed for 5x4?

Sorry, it's easier to ask direct that get out the Chroma and a tape measure....

I don't have a physical back built yet, so it's all on-screen theory, but I don't see a major issue as the opening in the body is deliberately larger than 5x4 to allow for the rotation of the back. It will need to be spaced back from the current film plane to allow for the larger format, so that's going to make using wide lenses more difficult, but it's certainly something I'm interested in looking at further.

Gutted I missed the early bird option

Since only the early bird 8x10 left you fancy throwing in a camera to go with them?

I'm up for a 5x4 holder to have a play with glass plates, however for me, it's imperative that sheaths are included ( as part as the package or as optional extras) to enable sheet film to be used as well.
Hopefully that will come about @stevelmx5 ?

It's down on the latest updates; they will be available after the Kickstarter is over. The explanation is given.

I've now backed it on that basis; and I'm particularly interested in the reducing sheaths that let you use smaller sheets in a larger camera - so I could use 5x7 without having a 5x7 DDS or camera. All I need is a 10x8.

Edit to add: See Update 4.

Last edited:
I'm up for a 5x4 holder to have a play with glass plates, however for me, it's imperative that sheaths are included ( as part as the package or as optional extras) to enable sheet film to be used as well.
Hopefully that will come about @stevelmx5 ?

It's down on the latest updates; they will be available after the Kickstarter is over. The explanation is given.

I've now backed it on that basis; and I'm particularly interested in the reducing sheaths that let you use smaller sheets in a larger camera - so I could use 5x7 without having a 5x7 DDS or camera. All I need is a 10x8.

Edit to add: See Update 4.

Sorry for the slow reply guys. As per Stephen's post, we're going to be selling various sheet/plate holding adaptors after the campaign, via our websites. Myself and Jason talked about it before the campaign and decided that it wouldn't work very well with KS rewards as you can only back one in a campaign, which would mean creating a whole range of options to include adaptors so it would be way too complicated!

I'm currently speaking to a few different manufacturers to work out the best/cost effective way to manufacture the adaptor plates and will share more details in a future update.

Cheers

Congratulations on reaching your target with time to spare. Now you don't have to sit hitting refresh all day to see how it's going, you can get to work making 'em :p

Seriously though, given the ongoing Chroma builds, you must be really, really busy.

Last edited:
Congratulations on reaching your target with time to spare. Now you don't have to sit hitting refresh all day to see how it's going, you can get to work making 'em [emoji14]

Seriously though, given the ongoing Chroma builds, you must be really, really busy.

Thanks Stephen. I’m made up to have reached the goal without having to wait it out for 30 days. We’ve already been speaking with the moulding company who will be manufacturing the holders for the last 6-8 weeks so we’re at the point of having prototypes machined and working on the packaging design.

As for Chroma Cameras, they’re still my priority and I’ve got another 5 cameras due in from the cutting company this week (in pieces!), and am currently folding bellows ahead of them arriving. It’s definitely keeping me busy, but it’s the happiest I’ve been in a ‘job’ for a long time so I’ve definitely done the right thing in going full time with Chroma.

Now repeat after me. I will not add barely achievable stretch goals and set the whole project back 12m, I will not change design two weeks into production etc etc:)

No need to worry on that score. Unlike sheet film, plates are dimensionally stable. There will be no stretching. :p:exit:

Back