CLA Companies for Film Camera

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got hold of a nice looking OM2 from eBay and whilst it looks nice and all seems to be working as well as it looks, I was thinking as this is the nicest condition OM I've managed to pick up I was considering a CLA on it and maybe getting the battery conversion to accept later batteries done.

I don't have any experience of companies offering a CLA service, any of you guys have recommendations and the kind of cost it may incur - I have no ideas! :)

Thanks

h'mm if the camera is working properly why have a CLA...,,it might have had a CLA by the previous owner some time in the past.

Also Miles Whitehead
...but put some Agfa Vista (from Poundland) in the camera check the exposure at all shutter speeds for results by looking at the neg, check the seals and if all ok save yourself £30-£40

Thanks guys, will check out the recommendations.

The camera functions OK, no film put through it but definitely needs new seals and mirror clean etc. It looks a beauty with no marks, dings etc so I'd like to get it cleaned and sorted and of course if I could get the battery conversion done that would be ideal too.

Well quite a few guys here do their own seals and it wouldn't surprise me if someone pops up and says "I done the battery conversion" :cool: But if you like the camera and want the easy life and don't mind spending the money then (y)

I think I'm now at the point where I've got a camera I really like and would like it given the once over in order that all is well, and the serviceable items that need attention have been sorted and I can just get on and take photos with it and have some confidence that it's me that's getting it wrong and not the camera! :D

Unlike the OM1, which uses mercury batteries, the OM2 takes more modern silver oxide SR44 types. Thus, you won't need to get a battery conversion for your camera.

i had a Canon AE-1 with jammed film take-up spool
serviced by Miles Whitehead - good comms - excellent CLA - reasonable price

its now smooth as silk ............well please

With an OM2 (& most OM1's) you have to worry about the foam seals eating away at the silvering on the prism & damaging it. If the prism looks clean now then it could be a ticking time bomb

I second the suggestion for Miles Whitehead. He sorted my OM1 out earlier in the year. I got an OM2n a couple of months back & it will be going to him too in a few months to get the foam removed from under the prism before it causes a problem.

Unlike the OM1, which uses mercury batteries, the OM2 takes more modern silver oxide SR44 types. Thus, you won't need to get a battery conversion for your camera.

Ooh, thanks for that info. I didn't realise, just assumed all the older film cameras ran on dodgy old batteries. Just looked and my local Maplins stock and sell SR44 batteries. Might have a wander down in a while.

i had a Canon AE-1 with jammed film take-up spool
serviced by Miles Whitehead - good comms - excellent CLA - reasonable price

its now smooth as silk ............well please

With an OM2 (& most OM1's) you have to worry about the foam seals eating away at the silvering on the prism & damaging it. If the prism looks clean now then it could be a ticking time bomb

I second the suggestion for Miles Whitehead. He sorted my OM1 out earlier in the year. I got an OM2n a couple of months back & it will be going to him too in a few months to get the foam removed from under the prism before it causes a problem.

Would either of you chaps have contact details for Miles Whitehead, can't seem to find any online for him. Website doesn't appear to work. Thanks

LR44 do nearly as well as SR44... I've used them for years. Exact same size and voltage; SR44 voltage may hold up a bit better after several months but I've not noticed. 7dayshop on fleabay recently sold me 20 Duracell LR44s for £6.29 inc postage; they come in pairs, so the 20 make quite a big packet.

Real camera manchester, JP Camera Edinburgh

I think I've passed JP Camera on the bus in Edinburgh, never looked open, though. I've also used Cameratiks in Morningside, Edinburgh.

JO, The JP camera guy has been repairing cameras for over 40 years. I had cla'd my 50mm F/1.4 LTM and FD F/1.2L. He did really well.

Newton Ellis in Liverpool is another option. I've used them before with good results.

Hey guys, thought I'd just update this thread. I've put a film through the OM2 and all seems well, so keeping hold of that for the time being, however, I ended up buying an OM1 off eBay at a good price which actually didn't work very well when I got it, so spoke with Miles Whitehead and it's currently with him.

To date, communication and estimate costs are excellent. I'm really confident the camera will come back to me in super condition once Miles has worked his magic on it.

Well, the OM1 is back, and looks tidy enough all in just over a week. Still trying to figure out what the story is regarding batteries, Miles tells me he has converted to run on 1.5v battery power, but to date the hack of popping a rubber O ring around an SR44 and inserting just does not work, doesn't look as if the camera gets any power. If I wiggle the battery around in the battery holder, there's a certain point where the battery fires the meter, but I'm really not sure how that's supposed to work, certainly it's not possible to just pop a battery in, O ring or not and pop the lid back on.

So to be honest, the jury's still a bit out to be honest.

Thanks, I'll look at getting one of those, a bit cheaper than the adaptor I'd looked at in the UK.

However I've spoken to Miles again and he's suggested it could be corrosion in the wires which is leading to a short.

To be honest I'd have hoped this would have been sorted, now it looks like it may well have to go back to him again.

Well not much use to you but for anyone else going to the meet I have an old mercury battery....I can't give it away as its the only one I have but for testing any cameras I could bring it along.if any one is interested.

Back