CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Any idea what that is? To my eyes, it looks like a kit-car but the H registration suggests it's not.

Any idea what that is? To my eyes, it looks like a kit-car but the H registration suggests it's not.

Hi, the closest I can come up with is a PANTHER, but the spare wheel attachment seems to be non-standard.

It's a German registration number does that apply...I can't remember!;)

It's a German registration number does that apply...I can't remember!;)

Hi, in Germany the letter H after the numbers on the plate means "Historisch", i.e. a vehicle in the original delivery state when it was registered, without any modifications not available from the manufacturer.

H-plates are granted by the TÜV (our MOT) after a thorough inspection of the car. The car must be at 30 years old. H-plates mean lower insurance premiums and emission standards.

The cars must be kept in the original state. Otherwise, the H-plates are taken away ... ---

I'm not sure what strikes me as "wrong" about the car. The doors and the bodywork behind them look like they may be fibreglass, the bonnet seems to be rear hinged, triple windscreen wipers seem out of apparent period, very plush seats with head restraints, radiator grille looks set into the bodywork... I'd love to know more about the thing!

I'm not sure what strikes me as "wrong" about the car. The doors and the bodywork behind them look like they may be fibreglass, the bonnet seems to be rear hinged, triple windscreen wipers seem out of apparent period, very plush seats with head restraints, radiator grille looks set into the bodywork... I'd love to know more about the thing!

Hi, it looks very much like a PANTHER Kallista (to me), but in the pics I saw there was chrome on the hood...

The car is registered in St.Goar, not far from Mainz. - Maybe, I see it again sometime ---

Last edited:
Real or kit?

Not many real ones left! All too many went sideways into trees at speed!!!

Hi, I still remember the howling sound they made at high speed in the 1950s on the Autobahn, the body looking more aerodynamic than it really was.

And another experience : A friend bought one around 1968 for 1000 DM. The starter engine failed. Being a student, he could not afford to have it repaired,
so he had to scrap it ... --- :

L1011223_DxO-L35s-4-c.jpg

L1011243_DxO-L35s-28-c.jpg

L1011242_DxO-L35s-25-c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I still remember the howling sound they made at high speed in the 1950s on the Autobahn, the body looking more aerodynamic than it really was.

And another experience : A friend bought one around 1968 for 1000 DM. The starter engine failed. Being a student, he could not afford to have it repaired,
so he had to scrap it ... --- :

View attachment 386674

View attachment 386673

View attachment 386672
and it nearly bankrupted BMW...
Hadn't the Quandt family bought shares and BMW not bought Glas the automotive landscape today would look very different.

That looks quite similar to Count Louis Zborowski's "Chitty Bang Bang" which was based on a Maybach Zeppelin engine.

Thanks for that. My (mostly forgotten and basic schoolboy when it did exist!) German isn't up to translating that article but luckily, there's a translation behind the German flag!

There are a couple of similar cars here in the UK but they use Napier Lion airship engines rather than Maybach ones. Not to mention John Dodd's "Beast"... https://silodrome.com/the-beast-merlin-v12-engined-car/

Thanks for that. My (mostly forgotten and basic schoolboy when it did exist!) German isn't up to translating that article but luckily, there's a translation behind the German flag!

There are a couple of similar cars here in the UK but they use Napier Lion airship engines rather than Maybach ones. Not to mention John Dodd's "Beast"... https://silodrome.com/the-beast-merlin-v12-engined-car/

Hi, there are just a few specs in the article. The brakes are not mentioned - perhaps for good reasons ... ---

Possibly some sort of brake on the transmission? Took a while for front brakes to catch on!

Possibly some sort of brake on the transmission? Took a while for front brakes to catch on!
Hi, around 1921 Mercedes had 4-wheel brakes on their racing car, which was seen as an innovation then ... ---

Reactions: Nod
Back