clean out 5 years later on graphics card

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been havng stars across my monitor a few times and the graphics card resetting. Thouht after 5 years I better take it out of the computer I built to see if there was anything i could chekup on. the card is an MSI GTX560TI Twinfrozen one with 2 cooling fans. I have often and regurely checked the other fans,ie case fans etc but not these 2 in over 5 years.
So got the graphics card out and on the bench. Gave a blow with a rocket blower and nearly chocked on the dust, clouds of it, no wonder it was playing up. Hopefully now problem solved, but it just goes to show tower computers need a good regular cleanout. the computer is now so quite again it is like new.
Don't know yet if it has made any difference to the monitor colour/bright ness or whatever , will have to see

Last edited:
I clean out mine once a year with a brush and air duster. I have to add I'm a computer engineer it's part of my timetable. I check every fan and filter is clean. One thing I make sure is my pc never sits on carpet as that's a bugger for shedding dust.

Yup. I've got a duster for the outside of my PC and a blower for inside. The missus wishes I did the rest of the house as much as my PC.

Mine sits on the desk beside me as well and the case fans get cleaned as does the CPU fan but those graphic cards got completely overlooked. Even went as far as getting Silent wings fans by Bequiet for the casing
One advantage of building a computer yourself, you can put in as expensive components as you want,not accept anything prebuilt. My total build cost was about £1400 in April 2012.kept the component parts bought, on sheets from Scan computers. No idea what a shop equivilant one would have cost even if you could get it, which you can't.

Took me and my Son 3 months selecting components and the build was for photographic work mainly ,so that is what the components were based on.

Maybe wishful thinking but photos on my monitor do look crisper

Last edited:
yeah i get the dyson in mine once every few years

I used to vacuum out my PC every year or so but no need since I built my last one with a dust filter.

Wish I had a case like that years ago!

If it's that old and you feel up to it replace the thermal paste on the GPU die itself. There are plenty of guides on youtube from Jayz and others which should help lower temperatures aswell.

Back