Cleaning a sticky, grimy camera body (Nikon F80)

Sounding promising.

Give the grips another couple of goes.

As Andy says, don't worry about the alcohol.

Yeah I loaded some film into it so I had the door open for a a while while I did that. Still looks immaculate inside. :)

And yeah I might have another go at the grips a bit later on. ;)

Jason, the first post in this thread shows lots of options, and also links to a handy price estimator on Google Drive (or something like that) which compares a few choices for your particular set of 35mm or 120 films. And yes, as Mark says, post them. Annoyingly, 35mm film is now just too big to be a large letter and has to be a small parcel, so if you have to pay outwards postage then it pays to batch them up. And no, I'm not patient enough to do that (although I may wait for two films rather than one).

OK so after a quick going over with the alcohol the camera feels better (less sticky) but the front/grips look the same (see below, didn't concentrate too much on the front grips today, mainly did the film door). Would have another go at it but got a roll of film in there atm - advisable to wait until after I've shot that roll?

I think it still looks fairly good though! Might be good to try and do a bit more to remove the rest and perhaps the flashgun I was using to shoot the pictures was a little harsh and hence shows up the dirt more (if you look at the camera in normal light you can't really notice it).

Thanks for the links to places where I get film processed btw, appreciated!

If anybody thinks they can do a really good job I may think about sending you my camera for you to clean haha! ;)

Nikon F80 (After a quick clean with alcohol) by ThinkPad Review, on Flickr

Last edited:
Once you've given it a couple of goes you'll have done as good a job as anyone.

Probably best to shoot the roll of film before cleaning again.

OK then I'll shoot the roll (sure it won't take me long! ;) ) and then I'll give it some going again. At least I know what to do now and I have the gear!

Will let you all know how it goes. It is much less sticky now!

I found this forum this afternoon while seeing if there was a known problem with the rubber grip parts of the Nikon F80 going sticky, I haven't used mine for quite a while, it was stored in a camera bag inside a dark cool cupboard, the last few weeks I've had a desire to use a few rolls of transparency film, even though they cost an arm and a leg, to my surprise when getting the F80 out of retirement, the body was so sticky, as though it had been covered in glue, came across this form, and read the regestion about using isopropyl alcohol, which I hadn't got, but what I did have, as my partner has to have monthly injections for a medical condition, is a load of pre injection swabs, they contain 70% Isopropyl alcohol, and a bit of time was spent wiping the body over using these, I now have a grippy but not sticky Nikon F80, to my surprise when getting my old Nikon D70 out of it's bag, the body was pretty much the same, though not as bad as the F80, again the little pre injection wipes did the trick.

I found this forum this afternoon while seeing if there was a known problem with the rubber grip parts of the Nikon F80 going sticky, I haven't used mine for quite a while, it was stored in a camera bag inside a dark cool cupboard, the last few weeks I've had a desire to use a few rolls of transparency film, even though they cost an arm and a leg, to my surprise when getting the F80 out of retirement, the body was so sticky, as though it had been covered in glue, came across this form, and read the regestion about using isopropyl alcohol, which I hadn't got, but what I did have, as my partner has to have monthly injections for a medical condition, is a load of pre injection swabs, they contain 70% Isopropyl alcohol, and a bit of time was spent wiping the body over using these, I now have a grippy but not sticky Nikon F80, to my surprise when getting my old Nikon D70 out of it's bag, the body was pretty much the same, though not as bad as the F80, again the little pre injection wipes did the trick.

What works for me on my sticky back f90x is a silicon dashboard cleaner that I bought from Tesco a few years ago...also use it to clean the bodies (NOT LENSES) with cotton buds, mind you it does make the camera slippery so I'm careful about that.

I've just cleaned a very sticky f80 as well. I used isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds, I got a large aerosol of it from Maplins, and it has come up lovely with no trace of the stickiness. Only took about 15 minutes, just sprayed it on and rubbed it in with the cotton buds.
Andy

I've got a can of isopropyl alcohol that I've had for years. The outside of the can is rusty (!), I've had it that long, but the inside is shiny and fresh. It's great for cleaning stuff up. It cleaned up my sticky F70 a treat, and has lately been useful for taking stubborn dust off old negatives prior to scanning them.

Just have to remember to open a window before getting stuck in as it doesn't half emit fumes! :eek:

Last edited:
I've got a can of isopropyl alcohol that I've had for years. The outside of the can is rusty (!), I've had it that long, but the inside is shiny and fresh. It's great for cleaning stuff up. It cleaned up my sticky F70 a treat, and has lately been useful for taking stubborn dust off old negatives prior to scanning them.

Just have to remember to open a window before getting stuck in as it doesn't half emit fumes! :eek:

I like the fumes....:confused::D

Back