Cleaning camera bags ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone ever put a camera bag in the washing machine , I purchased one at the boot sale today , everything good , It has some mud and dust on it

??? shall I ???

Yes, loads of times, ideal day to dry it off outside afterwards

Do it on a low temp like 30c, handwash programme on my machine works well for bags, trainers and that sort of thing

OK , Its going in now :D

Stick a hoover in there first to suck out alot of the dust and rubbish first.

Reactions: Nod
I'd have to have a pretty mahoosive washing machine to get most of my bags in. I bet there's not many household machines that would fit a Tamrac Exp 9x in! But then I've never really thought about cleaning it, other than the odd wipe down with a damp cloth.

Never washed any of mine in a machine. A damp cloth gets the mud off the outside and a Henry sucks the cr@p out of the crevices (and weave!) Make sure it's PROPERLY dry after a washing machine clean...

I'd have to have a pretty mahoosive washing machine to get most of my bags in. I bet there's not many household machines that would fit a Tamrac Exp 9x in! But then I've never really thought about cleaning it, other than the odd wipe down with a damp cloth.

At less than 3kg, get it through the door and modern machines won't have an issue. :)

At less than 3kg, get it through the door and modern machines won't have an issue. :)

Hmm! apart from possibly an imbalance on the spin cycle giving rise to 'washing machine' dance across the floor ;)

Hmm! apart from possibly an imbalance on the spin cycle giving rise to 'washing machine' dance across the floor ;)

What on earth is your washing machine floored on? :ROFLMAO:
I can wash a single shirt including full spin and the machine stays planted.

What on earth is your washing machine floored on? :ROFLMAO:
I can wash a single shirt including full spin and the machine stays planted.

Our current one is very good with its fuzzy logic at handling loads and their distribution for the spin.....but a camera bag is a single relatively high weight load, the offset loading IMO could cause an imbalance not handleable by balance control. A single wet shirt is nowhere near the weight of a camera bag, is it???

PS the modern fuzzy logic will not allow a machine to do the dance of years back old design washers.

Last edited:
Our current one is very good with its fuzzy logic at handling loads and their distribution for the spin.....but a camera bag is a single relatively high weight load, the offset loading IMO could cause an imbalance not handleable by balance control. A single wet shirt is nowhere near the weight of a camera bag, is it???

PS the modern fuzzy logic will not allow a machine to do the dance of years back old design washers.

True. :)
Still reckon it'd be fine though.
Mine has handled a very large rucksack with ease.

I remember my parent's old twin-tub shuffling across the kitchen if the spin side was used whilst the wash side was empty. :D

True. :)
Still reckon it'd be fine though.
Mine has handled a very large rucksack with ease.

I remember my parent's old twin-tub shuffling across the kitchen if the spin side was used whilst the wash side was empty. :D

Ah! a twin tub that takes me back to childhood memories of washday :)

As for rucksack vs camera bag, I surmise the success or otherwise of a machine wash will depend on more factors = different folks user experiences.

I wash heavy items all the time. Just add an old towel into the machine to balance it out and reduce the tumbling effect.

A hoover and a damp cloth should be enough though.

I put it on a 20 min refresh cycle with fabric conditioner :p

Its on the line drying

Will report back later if it fubar'd :help:

I wash heavy items all the time. Just add an old towel into the machine to balance it out and reduce the tumbling effect.

A hoover and a damp cloth should be enough though.
Don't really fancy putting my hoover in to balance the load!

Take camera out of bag first :banghead:

-------

If something can fit into the machine it can be washed. That's my Motto. My wife however will disagree. RIP Gerbils.

:D

All done and all OK will leave it open until next weekend then put some gear in it ;)

Just a couple of of thoughts. If the outer fabric had a water-repellent treatment from new, a detergent wash will have removed this to some degree. And if the bag had any built-in padding and this happened to be open-cell foam, it'll need more drying than otherwise.

Just a couple of of thoughts. If the outer fabric had a water-repellent treatment from new, a detergent wash will have removed this to some degree. And if the bag had any built-in padding and this happened to be open-cell foam, it'll need more drying than otherwise.

Yes Point taken

The foam must be closed cell as its not wet / heavy , The AW stands for All Weather as it has a elasticated pull out waterproof cover

If you want to beef up its showerproof qualities up bung a sachet of reproofer in the wash.

Its not made of finest silk just a canvas type bag designed to be carted about all over the shop.

Doesn't fabric conditioner increase fabrics' absorption qualities?

I've got a Tamrac camera bag. I have no idea what it's made of but whenever mud collects, it just seems to drop off and disappear after a couple of days.

Anyone ever put a camera bag in the washing machine , I purchased one at the boot sale today , everything good , It has some mud and dust on it

??? shall I ???
I am amazed at the number of responses with questions, surely this would have been better dealt with by your wife / girlfriend / mother :D :exit:

Back