Clone Stamp Tool

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone explain how to use the clone stamp tool on CS2? Got a few piccies that need a bit of work and I can't follow the YouTube tutorials for the life in me!

Thanks in advance,
Laura

what are you trying to do?

As a general, click the clone stamp tool... press ALT to select the area you want to clone, release ALT, then run over the bit you want to clone out, pressing the mouse button when you want to "clone".

The CAPS LOCK button can be used for a more precise application. :)

with the cursor over the area you want to clone from, hold down the ALT key and click. Then move the cursor to the area you want to clone to and click. All the time you hold down the left mouse button you will paint from the clone source. Of course you can change the area you want to clone from as much as you like. It takes a little practice to get used to it but it's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it :)

You will also want to learn about brush size, hardness and transparency. There are many tutorials on the web you can find through Google and I think they are better than videos. Photoshop has a steep learning curve but stick at it and you will get there.

Finally and vitally important DO NOT work on the original picture but a copy. You do know that don't you :D

Yes I always work on copies... or work on the original and just don't save it if I make a mess of things hehe.
Thanks for your help guys/gals, I'll have a play with it this afternoon.
x

Finally and vitally important DO NOT work on the original picture but a copy. You do know that don't you :D

Wise words! :notworthy:

You can very quickly use up all your history steps with cloning!

You also need to ask yourself if the clone tool is the most suitable for the task. Sometimes the patch tool or healing brushes are better suited.

Wise words! :notworthy:

You can very quickly use up all your history steps with cloning!

It's a good idea to duplicate the layer before cloning, then if you mess up you can just delete the layer you were working on. Also when you are happy with each stage click on snapshot at bottom of history pallet, then you can always go back to this stage, just by clicking on the snapshot image.

Back