Beginner Clone tool in PS

Name
Michalene
Edit My Images
Yes
The answer to this I'm hoping is obvious but I can't work it out - I followed the little tutorial for the clone tool and I can get the thing I want to clone and I can drag it to where I want it but I can't get it to stay there. Do you have to do anything once you get the thing in position? :(

Are you sure that you are following a tutorial on the 'clone tool'.

To clone Alt/Option click for your source move over where you want to clone and click. (That is simplified) No dragging whatsoever....

Are you sure that you are following a tutorial on the 'clone tool'.

To clone Alt/Option click for your source move over where you want to clone and click. (That is simplified) No dragging whatsoever....

mmm I'll have another look- back in a moment.

@PhilH04 I think I've got the top not set right - mode & opacity - as I can just see the cloned thing and no more. What should they be set at?

On Windows machine. hover over source area, right click mouse and select size of area to be cloned. Then hold down ALT key and left click mouse then move mouse pointer to the area to be cloned and left click mouse

@PhilH04 I think I've got the top not set right - mode & opacity - as I can just see the cloned thing and no more. What should they be set at?

Normal and 100%

you're welcome :)

right click mouse and select size of area to be cloned.
That bit I am not sure about as I am on a Mac and simply alter the size of the tool using the square bracket keys... [ = smaller. ] = larger.

I never use 100% preferring to build up the cloning so prefer opacity around 40% often lower. depending on what you are trying to remove have a look at the healing brush/es.

That bit I am not sure about as I am on a Mac and simply alter the size of the tool using the square bracket keys... [ = smaller. ] = larger.

I never use 100% preferring to build up the cloning so prefer opacity around 40% often lower. depending on what you are trying to remove have a look at the healing brush/es.

thanks @PhilH04 now I've got the basics I can work on it.

The other thing to bear in mind is do your clone work on a new layer so it doesn't overwrite your existing layer. This can then be saved as a Photoshop doc which you can reopen and edit. Once it's saved and closed as a JPEG, there's no undoing it.

This is especially important if you're just starting out as you're likely to look back on the work you do then with some derision in a year or two.

It's a lesson sometimes learned the hard way and it's one when I'm working on documents with multiple layers that I still get wrong.

Back