Close up lens recommendation please

Name
Brad
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm an amateur 'photographer' with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself. I have the typical Canon Rebel T7 with 18-55mm lens package and I pretty much shoot with it on auto all the time. Only problem I have is that I can't get close in shots with this lens.

I'll be needing to make some close up shots of really small insects here shortly and need a recommendation for a close up lens that's about my speed. A good and cheap (if the combination exists) lens is exactly what I'm looking for. Just whatever gets the job done.

Any recommendations for a lens? Thanks.

Hi, extension tubes may help with your current lens, some do offer full AF, I can't advise as I've not used them, sorry.
Sigma do a nice 105mm macro lens with AF and OS, I've had some nice shots from this lens.
Loawa have some lovely lenses but are full manual.

Sorry, I'm not much help, good luck :)

For REALLY small insects, the MP-E 65 would probably be the best bet but is unlikely to be cheap - if it's a job that can be completed in a couple of days, maybe rental would be an option?

Sigma and Tamron both make very good Macro lenses, both the Sigma 105mm and the Tamron 90mm are wide aperture at f/2.8 and are often available 2nd hand.

Going even cheaper, extension tubes are a decent option. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...-solutions/macro-budget-using-extension-tubes

Another option is the Raynox DCR close focus lens. It either clips on to the front of your existing lens or you can can screw it on with step-up/step-down rings. They're not expensive and work really well. :)

Small insects is a broad range. I find for bees and things the Sigma 105mm works fine, really small bugs might need something like extension tubes.
Shot on the 105mm
IMG_0984xxx.jpg

Another option is the Raynox DCR close focus lens. It either clips on to the front of your existing lens or you can can screw it on with step-up/step-down rings. They're not expensive and work really well. :)
But won't really have much effect on a short lens like the 18-55mm. Extension tubes would be a better option for use with that lens but a dedicated macro lens would be even better.

But won't really have much effect on a short lens like the 18-55mm. Extension tubes would be a better option for use with that lens but a dedicated macro lens would be even better.
Hi Jonathan,

The DCR 250 works well on standard lenses... My daughter has mine semi-permanently attached to her 14-42 on her E-M10 MKI

The DCR 150 is a bit weak though. I agree that a dedicated macro lens is the better option if the OP can afford it. :)

When I had Canon DSLR's I liked my Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

A longer lens could give you a longer working distance and allow you to be further away from the subject and this could be an advantage as when you get closer some subjects may fly or crawl away. You also get a different perspective between shorter and longer lenses and their differing shooting distances so thinking about the end look you want could help.

For close up stuff when out about about on a walk I prefer a No.4 close up filter which screws onto the end of your lens and can be removed for general non close up shots.

Back