Cloud Back-ups - namely NAS to S3 Glacier Deep Archive

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Some background info... I've a Synology NAS with about 14TB used for the storage of my family's photos, videos and back-ups. I've a full local back-up and partial off-site back-up. Currently, I'm considering the possibility of having a full NAS back-up stored in the cloud as a disaster recovery option as opposed to frequent access. To this end, Amazon's S3 Glacier Deep Archive looks reasonable at around $1 per TB of storage per month. The associated data retrieval times and costs are acceptable given the purpose. Likewise, I've a reasonable upload speed and appreciate the time it would take to fully upload a complete back-up of my NAS.

What I'm wondering is whether anybody here is using S3 for back-up storage, how they're using it and what their experiences are.

By the math a year's backup would cost you £168 a year.
I'd say it would be far better to buy a few 4TB HDDs, back up your pics and then store them with someone else off site as a precaution.
That is certainly one option.

I'm looking specifically at a cloud option as it can be fully automated, incrementally updated (updates are important as files will be added on a regular basis) and I don't need to be concerned with the hardware and its eventual failure.

Back