clouds timelapse test

Ben...

This is going to be a bit brutal I'm afraid :(

...well done on the exposure...that's about it though. Sorry and it pains me to say but there are a number of.errors...

Firstly the intro test is about 2/3 seconds too long.

The video footage is incredibly shaky and uneasy to watch.

The clouds move back and forth about 4/5 times so effectively you've just shown the same shot many times.

And then the zoom didn't really work for me.

Sorry to be the bearer of negativity Ben but I hope you take from it and try again!

I have to agree with the above.

With something like this go and find a nice corn field and set up the tripod, you really need some ground in it to get an idea of size and movement.

Intro is a little too long, not too bad though.

Does the wind keep changing direction or have to rewound the footage several times and replayed it?

I was told be a videographer that you NEVER zoom while recording, move in with your feet instead because it feels more natural to the viewer. There's no need to zoom in to clouds, instead, keep it as wide as possible.

good on you for trying, don't let the feedback put you off, use it to create something better.

Harvey_nikon said:
I have to agree with the above.

With something like this go and find a nice corn field and set up the tripod, you really need some ground in it to get an idea of size and movement.

Intro is a little too long, not too bad though.

Does the wind keep changing direction or have to rewound the footage several times and replayed it?

I was told be a videographer that you NEVER zoom while recording, move in with your feet instead because it feels more natural to the viewer. There's no need to zoom in to clouds, instead, keep it as wide as possible.

good on you for trying, don't let the feedback put you off, use it to create something better.

Zooms can be used for effect but should be slow and controlled. I tend to shoot in full HD and edit in 720p for more flexibility on zooms etc.

...no need to zoom here though...

It was shaky and a bit hard to watch because of it.

Zooming in a video is fine, people do it all the time, and if it creates the effect you want, feel free to do it. There's nothing saying you have to show as much as you possibly can with a wide angle just because you're shooting a landscape style video.

Rewinding and looping footage can be used effectively as well as speed changes with the footage. This is a very brief piece, and the shakiness really takes over, but the looping, etc fit pretty well with the music and makes it a bit more interesting than just recording the clouds as they went by.

Now, go buy a tripod and see what you can come up with. (y)

I agree with everything said, it was all handheld and very shaky, got a tripod since creating these pics, the only thing I need now is an intervalometer.

I'm going to get out to some fields soon and use a 28mm lens in the next few weeks once I get the intervalometer, it might be a while off but will be interesting to see what you think of the next one

Back