Cloudy/Milky water

Name
Mac
Edit My Images
No
Hi - i posted on the equipment forum the other day asking for advice on how to achieve the milky/silky water look and i was given a few very helpful tips prior to purchasing a filter. i have taken a few shots at the waterfall close to my house but theyve come out either really blurred or not milky enough! some of them are dark aswell. the sun was directly in the face of my camera and i was able to shelter under some tree canopies to shade. can you let me know what you think of this one, others are on flickr if you wish to see. lots of advice, c&c most welcome. sorry but i couldnt attach the image only the link (for some reason it doesnt work for me!). thanks
a>

Hi - i posted on the equipment forum the other day asking for advice on how to achieve the milky/silky water look and i was given a few very helpful tips prior to purchasing a filter. i have taken a few shots at the waterfall close to my house but theyve come out either really blurred or not milky enough! some of them are dark aswell. the sun was directly in the face of my camera and i was able to shelter under some tree canopies to shade. can you let me know what you think of this one, others are on flickr if you wish to see. lots of advice, c&c most welcome. sorry but i couldnt attach the image only the link (for some reason it doesnt work for me!). thanks

3330449941_231d0e893b.jpg

I managed to dig this out of the gobbldeygook - just the one image?

and you probably need a muuuuuuch slower shutter speed to blur the water more

Last edited:
Slower shutter speed will achieve what you want.

You will probably have to use an ND filter in order to be able to slow the shutter speed down. What was the shutter speed on the posted image?

Last edited:
i tried a slower shutter speed but the images went really blurred, and it looked worse! the s/s i used in this particular image was 0.077 sec (1/13). i would like the background etc really sharp and the water cloudy without extreme blurr!!

i tried a slower shutter speed but the images went really blurred, and it looked worse! the s/s i used in this particular image was 0.077 sec (1/13). i would like the background etc really sharp and the water cloudy without extreme blurr!!

you need a slow shutter speed to blur the water
that will also mean a small aperture
and as swag72 says a ND filter to stop it all being over-exposed

and a tripod so the background stays sharp

They came out blurred because of the slow shutter speed - You need to use a tripod for these. There is little chance that you will be able to hand hold for the length of the exposure.

They came out blurred because of the slow shutter speed - You need to use a tripod for these. There is little chance that you will be able to hand hold for the length of the exposure.

snap!

meant to say the aperture was f22 and iso at the lowest i can go (200)

I would not think that you would need anything past f16 for this to be honest.

I am no filter expert, but ND's come in graduated and ............... non graduated (Don't know what the right term is for those). I know what they do, but couldn't really explain it well. Do a search - there's loads of threads on filters. Don't want to confuse you with my rubbish explanations!!

A circular threaded ND filter will do the trick. The strength of the filter will be determined by the shutter speed required. I've just got my 10 stop ND filter today as I want to try some exposures running into minutes, think that might be a bit overkill with your subject though!

A circular threaded ND filter will do the trick. The strength of the filter will be determined by the shutter speed required. I've just got my 10 stop ND filter today as I want to try some exposures running into minutes, think that might be a bit overkill with your subject though!

Interested to hear how you get on with this Jambo - I am looking at getting one.

jeniveeev I hadn't realised you posted here as well and have made some comments on your original thread. ;)
As for ND filters, you want a standard one which is uniformly grey across the whole filter. Go for a 3 stop version as you can always adjust ISO, and aperture to get a faster shutter speed if required, but if you're already at your slowest ISO and smallest aperture you can't slow down any more, if you have a 1 or 2 stop filter.

Interested to hear how you get on with this Jambo - I am looking at getting one.

Yep I'll give you a shout once I manage to get out with it, just waiting for my shutter release cable to arrive for the really long exposures, hopefully tomorrow in time for the weekend.

The filter its self is nearly pure black, looked at the bright sky out of my window through it earlier today and could only just see the outline of the house roof tops!! :LOL:

Yep I'll give you a shout once I manage to get out with it, just waiting for my shutter release cable to arrive for the really long exposures, hopefully tomorrow in time for the weekend.

The filter its self is nearly pure black, looked at the bright sky out of my window through it earlier today and could only just see the outline of the house roof tops!! :LOL:

sounds like fun, where did you get your filter?

hi - thanks again to all for your posts here and on Flickr. i will again try tomorrow for better images down at the waterfall. its a beautiful spot i just need to practice, with my tripod and cable release. if its ok il post them again for your comments then decide on the filter purchase. this was my first attempt today and the learning curve is great. cheers.

try not do to it in direct sunlight.
overcast better,iso as low as possible,
f num highest you can use f22 or greater.drad filter,
polarizerthis helps aswell to lower shutter speed TRIPOD amust.
you are looking for at least 1 second NO less once you go over 5 seconds it totally changes aperance to more of a mist effect
this picture was about 2 seconds overcast no grad no polarizer BUT a Tripod

3318492807_0e9ff7c551.jpg

Back