Week 20 Stop
Week 21 Isolation
Week 22 Quality
Week 23 Post
Week 24 Metal
Week 25 Grunge is hiding in my mind somewhere
Week 26 Begginings
Week 27 Art
Hi guys and girls, i'm out of the trap like a starving greyhound eager and hopeful of getting that tasty bunny. Well i've got 52 weeks to catch my bunny at least so there are no excuses. Well having said that i'm going to give myself a few get out options as i have two knee operations planned this year, one at the beggining of Feb and the other six months later. That said i will play catch up on any weeks i miss or at least that's the plan. I wont set myself any strict rules however i shall endeavour to comment on a few other members project.

So happy snapping to the other players. Cheers, Chris.

Week 1 Curved
I had a few ideas for this, some inside some out but i settled for this. It's taken outside Sheffield station earlier today. It was a bit slippy and very cold but it was made all the more interesting by a Polish fella who came over for a chat. He was a hobbiest togger and seemed interested. His English was a little poor but then my Polish is lousy.
4241681106_9e4a2bd04e.jpg

My 52 on Flickr

Last edited:
You've definately got the curved theme there. Good luck with the ops (y)

I thought it was bike stands! I like it - can you put your bike there when it freezes?

Arthur :D

Wow this is a really good start to your 52. Look forward to the next 51!

That's a really nicely composed shot. I love these semi abstract pieces.

very nice
you were lucky to find the water still moving

definitely hits the subject though! :clap:

:clap: Good start Chris.
That's a lovely shot, absolutely full of curves and really nicely composed. in fact it's one of those shots that I want to go back and keep looking at!

I wonder how it would have come out with a longer exposure and slightly milkier water? Having said that it works so well as it is, maybe best to leave it alone :)

:clap: Good start Chris.
That's a lovely shot, absolutely full of curves and really nicely composed. in fact it's one of those shots that I want to go back and keep looking at!

I wonder how it would have come out with a longer exposure and slightly milkier water? Having said that it works so well as it is, maybe best to leave it alone :)

Thanks, I think my original plan was for a longer exposure and smaller aperture than the f10 i took it at but i was missing my tripod attachment so had to settle for a handheld shot.

I would be very happy putting this in as my entry for this weeks theme. Hope you can keep to this standard. Only 51 remaining :)

Nice shot, one of the best so far for me! (still working my way through Cs though!)

Thanks for all the positive feedback for week 1 ladies and gents, here is my interpretation of week 2's theme

Week 2 Poem/Poetry
The first thing that popped into my head when i read the title was poetry in motion, as im a big fan of "doing what it says on the tin" it was pretty simple.... make a poem move. Once i had chosen the poem i mounted it on a piece of wood and then that was placed on one of my decks (turntables for those who don't know) The camera was also placed on the deck about half a metre from the poem. The deck was set in motion and using a wireless trigger i released the shutter. it was fired at 1/6 at f13. My studio is my very cluttered small lounge!set up link

I wanted a short poem and i have a few books by abstract quirky poet John Hegley. The poem is a comparison of dogs and logs from the 1989 book "can i come down now dad", the art work is mine(lol, never was my strong point)

Poetry in motion
4274664768_b56d1d9dde.jpg

4269854532_9062b614c0.jpg

Last edited:
Superb way of taking a photo!! :)

That's a very ingenious shot and a very funny poem :)

I would just like to see a bit more detail in the moving background. Shorter shutterspeed or slower turntable with higher aperture.

Bloody good idea though (y)

That's a very ingenious shot and a very funny poem :)

I would just like to see a bit more detail in the moving background. Shorter shutterspeed or slower turntable with higher aperture.

Bloody good idea though (y)

Thanks and yeh i agree, i actually would have liked to have taken this outside but the light and weather forbid it. i was pretty limited to my front room. I tried several options of shutter speed, the decks were at their slowest setting and i even tried manual spinning. I may re shoot this at a later date and get a better backdrop but i agree it lacks some detail.

Hi Chris,

I really like your week 1 image, stock library material! I'm glad you went with a shorter exposure too. :)

I'm a bit lost for words for week 2. Gotta admire the sideways thinking and I like the poem. Completely hat-stand idea. Like the second one best. :)

Week 1 is great, lots of curves.
Week 2 - completely bonkers, I love the idea, the poem and the results.

(subscribed)

That is brilliantly worked! I love the ideas people come out with!

a novel interpretation of poetry in motion
bet you were hoping not to have bits of camera all over the floor!
when I first read it I thought the poem was on the turntable, but you'd done some A1 class panning to get it static
now I understand!!!!

Week 1 - Very nice shot, A grade.

Week 2 - mad idea, very clever - mono version is my fav!

a novel interpretation of poetry in motion
bet you were hoping not to have bits of camera all over the floor!
when I first read it I thought the poem was on the turntable, but you'd done some A1 class panning to get it static
now I understand!!!!

lol, if i had the poem on the turntable and tried panning i think it wouldnt be too long before i'd be toppling over feeling dizzy

thanks for all the other positive comments, its good fuel to keep me going!

Chris, Curved, great shot, it took me a while to work out what it is, but I really like it.

Poem, now that's clever :D... Very well done.

I love the photo in week one, although for some reason when I first saw it I thought it was chair backs up against a wall.

For week 2 my fave is the second one as I think you get a better sense of motion in it. I'd love you to try it again outside I can just image motion blurred hedges, trees and sky :)

I was surprised I hadn't seen poetry in motion taken as the theme by more people but I thought it would be some crowbarred-ish (not that that's a word!) picture of a running dog or moving car, I'm glad you directly included a poem as well(y)

week 1 - Great interpretation of the theme Chris, plenty of curves and a great shot too

week 2 - Thats amazing very cleverly thought out, the image itself is very abstract, like it lots (no 2) (y)(y) look forward to your week 3.

I was surprised I hadn't seen poetry in motion taken as the theme by more people but I thought it would be some crowbarred-ish (not that that's a word!) picture of a running dog or moving car, I'm glad you directly included a poem as well(y)

Me too Rudders, i thought that i would see a lot more titles of poetry in motion, still the standard of the 52 challengers so far has been excellent. Im hoping i can keep coming up with some original shots.

:clap: Well Done Chris.
They say there's a fine line between madness and genius and I can't quite decide which one this is :LOL:
I've never seen a camera on a turntable before and that contraption for holding the poem in place is . . . well . . . just mad! But what a brilliant idea!

Of the 2 shots I definitely prefer the colour version, there's just a bit more interest in the background. Agree with the other comments about wanting to see even more detail behind it, but it's still worked very very well.

I think this concept has massive potential and if you get out there and play with this technique I think you could come up with some truly stunning images.
Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Sarah, i like to think that i have one foot either side of the line and therefore consider myself pretty balanced :D

as i've mentioned balanced its worth adding that although the camera was pretty steady i was at hand to rescue it a couple of times, even at the lower end the Technics 1210's have pretty good torque.

That is a brilliant & bonkers interpretation for poetry in motion (y)

I was desperately trying to think of a novel approach for poetry in motion, but failed.

Cheers, Rob

Week 3 Chopped
As i have a log burner and a pile of logs out back i figured that would be the best place to start. I found this paper trimmer which my father used for trimming photos and i thought up this image. Its partly inspired by the artist MC Escher who did several sketches where a two dimensional subject evolves into a three dimensions. Speaking of three's, with this project i have learnt that a third hand to position the lights and reflector would help no end. I have to say i'm not 100% happy with the result so if you have any advice to improve it i'm all ears.

Chopping Logs

4285895794_39a6d61a1f.jpg

Some really inventive shots you have here Chris. Sorry I've not got round to commenting sooner!

Another great concept for the topic this week. As to critique... Well your content is excellent, and the shot looks technically great. My only thought is that there's not much colour in it overall. Lots of greens and browns. Does a mono conversion work?

Ian.

Back