Coastline within reach of Cambridge

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
We may go to Cambridge after the Easter weekend and wondered if there are any bits of coast nearby that you would recommend for a nice walk and a bit of snapping. :cool:

Bit of a coincidence here as I'm originally from Hereford and now live in Cambridgeshire, anyone after that random comment back to the question....the nearest would be Hunstanton, Wells next to the Sea and a bit further Great Yarmouth.
The nearest would be Hunstanton which is around 90 minute drive, the road past Kings Lynn can get gridlocked on a nice sunny day, there's a few pictures of Hunstanton on my Flickr, Wells is more of an old fashioned little Fishing town but if it's windy it'll usually be very windy there, there's also the Norfolk Broads if you want a bit of a nice drive around.
The scenery is not the most picturesque here, none of the Herefordshire hills but Cambridge has some stunning buildings, again there's a view across the city on Flickr.
Hope that helps a bit (y)

Last edited:
Didnt like Hunstanton when I went, and would avoid Great Yarmouth! Aldeburgh is very nice, lovely shops, and very picturesque. Southwold too is very good.

I agree with the suggestions about north Norfolk. The feeling of a big sky is immense there - good potential for sunrise and sunset shots. The Peddars Way and North Norfolk Coastal Path offers some good walking, the bird life is superb and if you go there pop into the Red Lion at Stiffkey.

An alternative is going east to the Suffolk coast at Aldeburgh and Orford. They are definitely worth a visit but the river Alde means quite a long journey to get from one to the other.

Dave

You can get a sunset over the sea at Hunstanton, that's all I have to add.

Where to start....
Cliffs, rock pools = Hunstantion [red], Sherringham, Cromer
Sunrise on sea = Hunstanton, creeks on marshes
Marsh , creeks, Norfolk skies = endless - Thornham, Blackney, Morston, Cley etc
Harbours = Thorham, Blackney, Brancaster Staithe, Wells
Fishing towns = Wells
Nice towns = Wells, Cromer

And that is just a small element of North Norfolk - just type North Norfolk photography into Google

I love Wells-next-the-Sea; there are huge sand dunes and at least 500 beach huts. The only problem is that the sea goes right out - you will need to walk a bit until you get to 'see the sea'. It's great for portraits, but I wouldn't recommend it for crashing waves.

I have never been to Hunstanton, but my family have many times, and they say it is a much more traditional beach - much better for taking stills of the water. They keep on urging me to go there and grab a few shots - it's on my to do list!

As others have said. If your traveling to the North Norfolk area, check out the Norfolk broads. There are some beautiful little towns on the water - great for getting some traditional canal shots.

If you have never been to North Norfolk, book a B&B and make a weekend of it. It is the promised land to photographers! Some great locations, only problem is you will soon fill up your cards! Message me for some more locations.

Good Luck - looking forward to seeing the images you take!

Sid.

Take look at Old Hunstanton some stunning views of the cliffs.

Thanks for that... seems like we have missed a great bit of the country - usually head for the hills, me. Thanks again

Back