Coincidence or conspiracy?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Since the Covid-19 started around a year ago, I noticed something striking and quite annoying. I pay for goods in shops with contactless card, very simple, clean, no fuss. However, over the past year, I reckon around two out of three contactless attempts have resulted in me having to enter the pin manually, meaning that I have to touch a keypad used by many other people.
This morning however was really weird.
I ordered a webcam from Amazon and it was due to be delivered to the box at my local Morrisons. So, went to my emails to print out the order details which included the bar code to swipe at the Amazon box.
My printer is working fine, so it was a surprise when the order printed out fine - MINUS THE BAR CODE.
I printed out another copy and the same thing happened again. The bar code was visible on the screen but did not print, meaning that I had to manually tap in the order number.
Prior to the pandemic, I cannot remember the last time I had to manually enter my debit card pin, and I have always printed out Amazon orders and used the bar code.

As a security measure contactless payments at some point ask for your pin, this is so a thief can't spend all your money. As you are now using contactless a lot more, so the pin trigger is happening more.

Pre covid, customers were asked to input their PIN every 4th or 5th contactless transaction. Not had to input mine for over 12 months.

I haven't used my card in well over a year but Mrs F has used hers a fair bit (contactless) and has only had to enter her PIN once and that was after she had used it for the fourth time in about 30 minutes.

I thought it needed a PIN after 6 contactless transactions but a non-contactless payment resets that, e.g. if you regularly buy goods that are more than the contactless limit and you have to use you PIN, that counts as does getting cash from a cash point. So it can be the case that contactless payments never seem to need a pin because you have used your PIN in some other way before the limit is hit and it resets.

I thought it needed a PIN after 6 contactless transactions but a non-contactless payment resets that, e.g. if you regularly buy goods that are more than the contactless limit and you have to use you PIN, that counts as does getting cash from a cash point. So it can be the case that contactless payments never seem to need a pin because you have used your PIN in some other way before the limit is hit and it resets.

I's very rare that she uses her card for anything over the limit.

I think a lot may depend on the bank. I remember a few years ago, I was in M&S with mum and when she went to pay, the cashier took the card from her and used it contactless. It was the 1st time her card had been used that way and, a few days later, she found out that the bank had cancelled it.

Have had to use the pin on my contactless debit card a lot more recently too. Amazon orders; if picking up at our local lockers I use the barcode in the “ready to collect” email on my phone which works well.

I can't remember the last time I had to use my PIN for contactless payment. Use the post office every couple of weeks, but always contactless never had an issue.
I have one debit card that I use frequently and it is always for less than £45 (£30 previously) and apart from the initial set up I have never had to put a PIN in.

Any of the shops I visit here at least regular spray down the pads with disinfectant after anyone has to use them manually, see it all the time, you can ask them to do so, guaranteed they have disinfectant and hand sanitizer close by every till

I try not to spend any money these days .

Back