Cold misty Scottish water

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey!

Looking for some feedback positive or negative on this image. Went down to troon sea front with the intention of capturing a nice winter sunset. Started off well, got a picture with the typical sunset colors which i'm quite happy with but unfortunately the sun quickly went behind the clouds. Due to this i decided to take a walk and stumbled across these concrete blocks in the water, set my profile to mono as i knew this image would suit a black and white theme and shot away. After a little touching up in light room this is my finished image.

Foggy water
by Stuart Fergus, on Flickr

I'll also add the picture of the sunset, taken only 30 or so minutes before the above picture.

Sunset capture at Troon seafront. #troon #sunset #seascape #waterthe #goldenhour #canon
by Stuart Fergus, on Flickr

I've just noticed the off level horizon :/

Again, any feedback would be appreciated

1 - I like the simplicity. My only gripe is I can sort of see the horizon. It will depend on people's screens but either have it visible or not.

2 - The level is off which you've said. Other than that it's a nice scene. The portrait composition seems a tad cramped though.

I can see the horizon in the first too, but not enough to detract. It does suit mono - I couldn't imagine that in colour. The second looks odd to me because the colour in the sky is not the same as the colour in the reflection. Maybe the orange colour was in the sky but the narrow portrait orientation has cropped it out?

I like the idea of the blocks but think that raising or lowering your viewpoint might have resulted in more space/definition between the blocks as the fact that they are all at the same height makes them run into each other?

Im mixed with number one. Personally the water doesnt have enough detail for me.

As for 2 the mud in the very forground isnt very attractive. And why is the water reflecting a yellow sky when the sky is so blue?

Also is have a couple of birthday drinks but even am sure the horizons wonky lol

I like the idea of the blocks but think that raising or lowering your viewpoint might have resulted in more space/definition between the blocks as the fact that they are all at the same height makes them run into each other?

:agree:

I like 1 but I think the only thing I would have tried was to get a different position to get some more separation between the difference blockes.

Back