College course graded unit

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
My graded unit brief was delivered today and it is very open, we can choose pretty much what we want:)

For a long time I have fancied doing something based on LIFE: baby, children, youth, couple etc through to death.

My problem is surprising me, for the life of me I cannot think of the search string to use for google. A fair percentage of the marks goes into the research stage.

Any ideas guys?

My graded unit brief was delivered today and it is very open, we can choose pretty much what we want:)

For a long time I have fancied doing something based on LIFE: baby, children, youth, couple etc through to death.

My problem is surprising me, for the life of me I cannot think of the search string to use for google. A fair percentage of the marks goes into the research stage.

Any ideas guys?

I've done two graded units, loved having free range. Research, research, research. Look at other photographers, particularly ones with strong theory behind it. Portfolio magazine, Hotshoe, Foam Magazine. All good "project" based mags. To get marks put as much as you can into the writing; planning, influences, pricing, presentation, etc.

I agree Vicky, its the research thats stumped me! Life in google brings up everything but.

Do you have a library in your college? I found most of my inspiration from there and then googled anything I found. I'll try to think of more!

Also just be as straightforward as possible. I lost marks for rambling on mine and not being concise.:razz::D

My only advice for the research, is keeping it concise but still showing a wide outlook on your chosen topic. Finding the photographers you like, maybe three or four and compare. Maybe one of those being one you don't really like, and then explain why you don't like the photographers work. All the photographers you research also state whether they would have an impact on how you'll take your photographs.

On all points you make, expand on that point, and then add your own personal comment.

What you said you might try -stages of life- is quite a hard subject. If you aiming for the top top grades and you pull it off you'll get them top grades. However, because this is a portrait type subject there is a lot of relying on others which can sometimes be a nuisance! So try and pick reliable people ;)

Hope this helps slightly :) just talking from past experience :D

Cheers. Good stuff. This is my second graded unit. I did manage an A last year.

Still stumped for a suitable search phrase for life !

Andy, I think you might mean The 7 Stages of Man?

If so try a Google on that, I did and one of the hits showed the following answer:-

"Depends on who you ask. Shakespeare listed them as infant, child, boy, young man, matrimonial state, parental state, and old man.

Erikson talks about 8 stages those were infancy, early childhood, play age, school age, adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, late adulthood

I've rarely seen a pre-birth stage listed and more often than not adolescence is listed between child and adult."

Sounds like an interesting subject to me. You might need to find a pregnant lady though....

Who was that woman photographer mentioned on here recently that photographed a family - the one with the woman dying of aids or cancer?

Andy, I think you might mean The 7 Stages of Man?

If so try a Google on that, I did and one of the hits showed the following answer:-

"Depends on who you ask. Shakespeare listed them as infant, child, boy, young man, matrimonial state, parental state, and old man.

Erikson talks about 8 stages those were infancy, early childhood, play age, school age, adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, late adulthood

I've rarely seen a pre-birth stage listed and more often than not adolescence is listed between child and adult."

Sounds like an interesting subject to me. You might need to find a pregnant lady though....

Excellent ,(y)thanks

Sounds groovy.

Would love to carry it on into degree, but my real passion lies elsewhere.

Finaly decided and I am going to do the GU on the 7 stages of man. Surprisingly there is very little evidence that many have done this before!

Onwards!

Look forward to seeing some results :)

If you don't mind me asking, what exam board are you? Found out yesterday my college aren't planning on giving out the exam paper until the Monday back after half term break. Was wondering if you care to share the title too ;)

However this'll only work if we're on the same exam board :D

Sqa. Titled I have a dream. Think it was written by the college to fit in with the sqa descriptors.

Ah cool... Thanks for that.

Just got to find out my exam board now. Lol.

Start by watching Monty Pythons "Meaning of life". Kinda relevant and damn funny!

Good luck with it Andy (y)

I did the exact same theme for one of my units in GCSE art (but in sketches rather than photography)
This was back in the pre-internet days, so I had to rely on library books rather than online research :LOL:

I'm racking my brains at the moment, and if I can remember any of the titles I'll let you know.

Back