Colmer's Hill at Symondsbury

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
We were down at Bridport over the weekend, and I noticed this hill, which I think is Colmer's Hill, and thought it might be good for a sunset photo. Google Maps doesn't indicate any obvious way to get an appropriate viewpoint, but there are Google search indications that it can be accessed by walkers. Has anyone any suggestions on where to go?

For those who don't know it, it's a conical bare hill with a clump of trees on top and a couple of paths cut up the sides.

Some friends of ours used to live in Symondsbury so I'll ask them when they get back from the back of beyond (no WiFi or mobile signal!) if I remember...

Google Earth suggests that there are a couple of paths up to the top but they might be sheep tracks rather than footpaths. The way the shadows are lying also suggest that it has sunset views at some times of year - the image date is 1/1/10 and there appear to be evening shadows.

I've only been and I think most other people use it as a sunrise location hoping for some mist, I think in the main people shoot it from Quarr hill

I've found a vide for sunrise that looks as if it was taken at Quarr or Quarry Hill, but I did particularly want sunset. I wanted an evening with spectacular sky, as the hill and trees make a very simple foreground. So would need to find somewhere with a bit of height roughly south-east; the maps show a couple of small hills though they appear to have tree cover on the north western side, which might be a problem.

The map looked as if there was no access but apparently there is a permissive path up the hill. However I doubt that would be useful for subset as you'd be too close below it...

Bridport High St itself isn't a bad place for a winter sunset, but then you're likely to get (a fairly photogenic to be fair) part of the town in too. Likely to be a few other spots around the town too. But therein lies the problem - IIRC, the town is pretty much in the direction where you'd want to be. There is a path up the hill and around it, though the eastern base of the hill is likely to be too close / low, unless that's the view you're looking for. I think that's one of the reasons most pics are from the other directions.

Thanks James. I think it's going to take some prospecting, which is a pain since if I'm in the region and there's an opportunity it will probably be pretty much a one-shot effort! :(

6829.JPG It's not the easiest place to find in the dark. In my opinion it's best shot at sunrise. Park at Quarr hill on the main rd. Walk up the track and go left through a bar gate. Walk up the hill and when you reach the top head north'ish and keep going intil you get to the other side of the hill. Turn right through a small gate then head east'ish until you can see Colmers hill. It's a place I've been shooting for years and in my opinion looks best with some mist. I'm using my phone so don't have the best photos from my trips up there to hand.
https://www.markandreasjones.com/landscapes-seascapes?lightbox=dataItem-iwvaxqph26

Last edited:
Back