Colour processing - C41 - chemicals

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm pretty clued up on the process and currently do B&W processing so I'm not a complete newbie but I've never done any colour processing. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for which chemicals and any other hints and tips? The Tetenal kit seems to be widely available and not too expensive, anyone got any experience of it? What's it shelf life and how do you store it?

I'm still working through my first Fuji Hunt Xpress kit (5L version) - relied on practical advice from users on Flickr - mixed up 5 x 1L bottles (PET so flexible) of developer - froze 4 - stored working dev in my film fridge with IL each of diluted bleach and fix - the undiluted lives in fridge too. I make up 1L of final rinse with distilled water and store in darkroom . Between sessions the dilute solutions go back to the fridge. A short microwave (2 mins at 900W per litre) brings them up to about 35C so does not take long to get stable in the Jobo.

I use the FH timings (the instructions are in finest japlish) for repeated use and get the equivalent of 15x36exp rolls from each litre. If I have some found films or some outdated film I want to mess around with I extend times a bit further after I have done the 15 rolls before ditching the solutions.

I have a couple of blog posts about my experiences with the Fuji Hunt kit, and in particular the number of rolls that can be developed with a kit. The latest post is here https://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/2018/07/04/explaining-the-fuji-hunt-c41-instructions/ and it includes a link to an earlier post.

I did look at your earlier blog post among others when working out what I wanted to do - and the numbers for 120 do not make sense unless sometimes they meant 220 film - I based all my usage and time calculations on the 100-200 ISO timings and 12x35mm exposure units - so a 24 exp 35mm is 2 units - a 36 exp is 3 units and as a 120 film has same area it is also 3 units (if I had 220 fim it would be 6 units) - As nobody elses C-41 instructions seem to make a differentiation on film speed I ignored that aspect. So for 1 Litre aliquots I allow 9 units per step - changing times when I moved up to the next step. Seems good so far - just ditched 2nd batch (so 30 films done within recommended values since May this year and 8 or so found and experiments).

Chris, I always use the Tetenal kit and have been very happy with the results.

I don't get out to take many pics (lucky if I shoot a roll of 12 exposures every two months) so it is very expensive compared to lab processing but I enjoy it :)

Last edited:
Thanks all, that's really useful information. I'm in the same boat as Fraser, probably only doing a roll or two every month so a 5l kit is probably OTT but I hadn't thought of freezing it

Thanks all, that's really useful information. I'm in the same boat as Fraser, probably only doing a roll or two every month so a 5l kit is probably OTT but I hadn't thought of freezing it
Hi Chris - I always purchase the 1ltr Tetenal kit.

Are you going to do the processing manually or do you have a Jobo or similar processor? I've only done B&W as well and rarely take colour film so would not want to invest in a Jobo.

That is not good news....:(

Are you going to do the processing manually or do you have a Jobo or similar processor? I've only done B&W as well and rarely take colour film so would not want to invest in a Jobo.
Doing it manually, I'm thinking of getting a sous vide heater to keep the temp constant.

I heard Tetenal had gone belly up.....or something..

https://studioc41.net/2018/12/05/tetenal-is-in-trouble-they-need-your-help/

how long it'll still be around is unclear...:(
That's not good but if its still in stock somewhere I'll probably give a 1 litre kit a go.

Anybody know what Tetenal manufacture, there's a thread over on Photrio and by the looks of it Tetenal manufacture just about everything chems.....for everybody.
Somebody mentioned Xtol on there and it's proper lit me up..:jawdrop:

That's a shame; another name to add to the list of memories? I count myself lucky to remember the days of walking into the local camera shop, picking up a bulk roll of Barfen E6 slide film, or an E6 developing kit, perhaps a spare spiral for my Paterson System 4 tank, or a couple of those little square-shaped 500ml Paterson B&W developer and fixer bottles, and/or a quick browse of the second hand shelves to see if they had any lenses or cameras I could afford on my £5 Saturday job wages.

Mind you, having said that, these days we have digital imaging (inc film scanning and image editing), computers and the internet; and the sort of film cameras we could once only dream of owning are now within our budget (or at least they were a year or so ago!), so I think we're probably better off over all if I'm honest about it. Still miss Kodachrome though!

Anyway, back to Chris' original questions... rather than colour print film, for which cheap processing is easily available, how about trying some of the new Ektachrome slide film, and once you've nailed the exposure, try an E6 developing kit? They used to be more simple than C41 process, and there's nothing quite like seeing a photo you've taken projected 10 feet wide on a suitably white painted wall (or strategically purchased white window blind! ;)) in the comfort of your own home. :)

Last edited:
rather than colour print film, for which cheap processing is easily available, how about trying some of the new Ektachrome and once you've nailed the exposure, try an E6 developing kit?
I've shot a few rolls of slide film in my time and my Dad used to use it a lot but I've got a specific in mind which a lab wouldn't touch whether on negative or positive and negative film is generally cheaper. This is probably a case of speaking-to-soon but C41 doesn't seem that difficult, just a case of temperature and timing :)

I've shot a few rolls of slide film in my time and my Dad used to use it a lot but I've got a specific in mind which a lab wouldn't touch whether on negative or positive and negative film is generally cheaper. This is probably a case of speaking-to-soon but C41 doesn't seem that difficult, just a case of temperature and timing :)

Colour isn't any more difficult than B & W but the temperature is a lot more critical; if the temp is wrong you get colour shifts that are quite difficult to remove. It's certainly easier now you don't have to use filtration in an enlarger when printing to correct colour casts.

If a Jobo is to much money Paterson used to do a Thermodrum that is usually much cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paterson...=item1a65169e4a:g:LWQAAOSwl5Jb6AY-:rk:22:pf:0

P.S. - If I can do it (and I love colour C41 developing) then anybody can - I'm not very skilled but it really adds to the enjoyment of the hobby for me which is what matters IMO.

Charlie Negatives
by Fraser Euan White on Talk Photography

Charlie 4 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tetenal kit is good. 1L kit is ideal for occasional use - buy and use once you have a few rolls to develop in one go.

Thanks for taking the time @Fraser Euan White , I really appreciate it and another great photo from you, you are far too modest about your skills :) . I had seen those Paterson Thermodrums but got the impression they are for print processing rather than negatives and was unsure about the volume of chemicals needed etc. I'm initially I'm going to go with the gear I've got plus a sous vide heater and see how that goes, I'll report back. I need to get some shots in the can first anyway.

Thanks all!

Hi Chris - you may well be right about the Paterson Thermodrum. NOVA also do a water bath and plenty use a fishtank and heater so, in principle your method should be fine :)

Last edited:
I'm still working through my first Fuji Hunt Xpress kit (5L version) - relied on practical advice from users on Flickr - mixed up 5 x 1L bottles (PET so flexible) of developer - froze 4 - stored working dev in my film fridge with IL each of diluted bleach and fix - the undiluted lives in fridge too. I make up 1L of final rinse with distilled water and store in darkroom . Between sessions the dilute solutions go back to the fridge. A short microwave (2 mins at 900W per litre) brings them up to about 35C so does not take long to get stable in the Jobo.

I use the FH timings (the instructions are in finest japlish) for repeated use and get the equivalent of 15x36exp rolls from each litre. If I have some found films or some outdated film I want to mess around with I extend times a bit further after I have done the 15 rolls before ditching the solutions.

That sounds like a good plan for mixing up C-41 for long term storage - going to give that a go next time.

Any idea on if it works for E6 chems as well? Recently got the Tetenal 2.5L kit and I will no where near shoot enough slide film before it expires.

Back