Colour Space

Name
Quaker
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been advised to ensure the colour space on my D90 should be set at ADOBE RGB as opposed to sRGB

Can someone explain the difference for me as I haven't got a clue.

Thanks in anticipation.

Quaker

If you're shooting raw then it doesn't matter what you set the camera to, it's the raw processing app that will set the working colour space.

The standard advice is stick to sRGB. You'll often hear that AdobeRGB gives you more colours and more is better obviously but it's not that simple. You get more saturation but you still have the same number of "steps" to describe the colours. Now if your image doesn't need the extra saturation your using less steps to describe the colours it is using so more colours actually means having few numbers to describe the tones as a result.

Also once you stop using sRGB as a colour space you then have to make sure you convert the image back to sRGB for web display or for printing at most labs.

Bottom line, unless you can use 16bit images all the way through to the printer and the image needs and the printer can print the extra saturation stick with sRGB (y)

One point to remember is If you wish to do any work on your image you need the MAX info to start with as every time you do anything to an image you will loss some info so start with MAX give you a better end image. If you start with less and then work on it you can end up with gaps in your range of colours you histogram will have what is called a comb effect.
This is one reason for shooting in RAW it gives you MAX info to start with if you not going to work on your image then you might as well have Jpeg sRGB

Back